WSYD Israel Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently,power teams Penrith or Cronulla ,who are ooozing with copius amounts of money are thinking of whispering in his ear to come back to the land of milk and honey,apparently.;)

According the AFL website he didn't record a stat., but he says he still has confidence that he can be a successful AFL player.

Yeah, right !!!

Along with Karmichael Hunt, an epic waste of money, but that's what you get when AD et al choose fluff over substance. The best marketing tool you can have to attract crowds and potential players is success.

I watched the whole game.

He didn't get a disposal that I can recall.

In fact I think his only effective involvement was 1 spoil in the 3rd quarter.

He was playing at full back firstly on Seaby and then on Pyke. Both players took several contested marks and kicked/set up multiple goals. During the 4th quarter he spent some time in the forward pocket but didn't get near it.

The most disappointing things were the bad body language, lack of energy, poor reading of play and many times losing several metres of contact with his direct opponent.

It looks at this point it would take a miracle for him to make it at the top level.

On a brighter note there are 2 guns at GWS: Hampton (running half back/wing type) and Casley (medium sized marking forward). Look out for these guys in the future.

He is destined to fail if that occurs :p

Well, Pyke is a good example for Folau. Pyke was hopeless when he started. He ran around like a headless chook. But he's dramatically improved, and now he's probably ahead of Seaby for the second ruck spot at the Swans. And he'd probably be ahead of quite a few other second rucks going around (well, if clubs would still play them.

From all reports, Pyke is an absolute sponge though. Just takes in anything and everything. It's yet to be seen if Folau will be any good, but people judging him after his first couple of games are ridiculous.

Inb4 Kevin Sheedy stating how much of a positive thing it was the Issy didn't touch the ball all day. I'm expecting something like;

"As a player, you learn more from the games when you never touch the ball, than those you dominate, creating greater opportunities to further your career.

This experience will give Israel the building blocks that he needs to eventually play great football in the AFL. Today Israel truly performed like a GIANT." Then some irrelevant rambling about how his porridge is too hot and how stylish the onion on his belt is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inb4 Kevin Sheedy stating how much of a positive thing it was the Issy didn't touch the ball all day. I'm expecting something like;

"As a player, you learn more from the games when you never touch the ball, than those you dominate, creating greater opportunities to further your career.

This experience will give Israel the building blocks that he needs to eventually play great football in the AFL. Today Israel truly performed like a GIANT." Then some irrelevant rambling about how his porridge is too hot and how stylish the onion on his belt is.

:thumbsu:
haha nice one - I needed a laugh right about now after todays game...:eek:

Meh it really is too early to say..
The important thing is that he's getting a better feel for the game. It's going to take a while, but he'll probably get the hang of it.

Was Izzy supposed to play a practice match today, and if so any news on how we went?

Cheers
His inability to make any impact proves what a rubbish competition the Rugby League,League is.
Proof positive that non athletic types can achieve high levels of success whereas now he is just a highly paid pawn in the football code war.:eek:

:thumbsu: It's funny because it's true.

Kinda snuffs out the theory that footy is an easy game.

I heard the publicity has paid for the salaries so no biggy if Hunt & Folau don't make it.

In fact I think his only effective involvement was 1 spoil in the 3rd quarter.

He got a centre bounce hit-out too - and it was a hit-out to advantage. I must admit I s******ed a bit when I saw him lining up there but Seaby misjudged his jump and Folau tapped it straight onto the chest of a team mate.

Other than that, it was a tough day at the office for Izzy.

Loved Curtly's game though. Looks to be a very good player in the making.

His inability to make any impact proves what a rubbish competition the Rugby League,League is.
Proof positive that non athletic types can achieve high levels of success whereas now he is just a highly paid pawn in the football code war.:eek:

Not a league fan, but that is absolute garbage.

Not a league fan, but that is absolute garbage.

Have to agree, but only partly. Living in Brisbane, I get heartily sick of hearing Aussie Rules described as "aerial ping-pong" and I hope that watching two League greats foundering might act as an eye-opener. Not so easy is it??

That being said, it can't be easy switching to/from ANY code and we'll see how things progress for BOTH Izzy and Hunt over the next year or two.

Have to agree, but only partly. Living in Brisbane, I get heartily sick of hearing Aussie Rules described as "aerial ping-pong" and I hope that watching two League greats foundering might act as an eye-opener. Not so easy is it??

That being said, it can't be easy switching to/from ANY code and we'll see how things progress for BOTH Izzy and Hunt over the next year or two.

Live in Brisbane also, and I agree that in general they don't give Australian Football enough credit in terms of skill required. But to say Izzy Folau isn't a great athlete as that other post did is ridiculous. Anyone who thinks an AFL player could go to the NRL and do much better are kidding themselves.

Live in Brisbane also, and I agree that in general they don't give Australian Football enough credit in terms of skill required. But to say Izzy Folau isn't a great athlete as that other post did is ridiculous. Anyone who thinks an AFL player could go to the NRL and do much better are kidding themselves.

Not saying they are crap athletes, just possibly not as spectacular as their status in NRL might have suggested... and that League really doesn't prepare a player for the demands of playing in the AFL. I was actually stunned at the amount of times Hunts was off the ground getting cramped thighs massaged for cramps!

Am in no-way suggesting it is easy for ANY player switching codes - I did make that very point. It does though quite legitimately reflect on the vast difference in both athletic skill levels - and the required stamina - btwn the two codes.

As for switching from AFL to NRL?? Apart from the fact that in all but the case of a player on the rookies list it would likely mean a substantial pay cut, I think an Aussie Rules player who perhaps grew up in a rugby environment and had the beef... to be honest I think they'd have a much better chance.... hardly easy, but better equipped.

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD Israel Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Back