WSYD Israel Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

His inability to make any impact proves what a rubbish competition the Rugby League,League is.
Proof positive that non athletic types can achieve high levels of success whereas now he is just a highly paid pawn in the football code war.:eek:

it proves that the NRL isnt a good breeding ground for AFL players? is that what you are saying? League players are shit at AFL, AFL players would be shit at league. hardly front page news.

To be honest, i reckon its going to be a certainty that he is going to switch back to league this year or next. But dont know how if its possible.

Reports saying some league clubs are still keeping track on him

Watched the 2nd half and confirm what has been posted. 1 hit out was the only thing he did. More worrying is he didnt look like getting one and was the biggest bloke on the field and played like a girl. Played fwd and back and flew for a pack mark at one stage and had no idea how to catch the ball coming at him. GWS were the equivilant of a lower division metro melbourne side. Bloke wearing No. 2 looks the goods but.

How are two rugby league players who will only play due to their marketing ability and not their skills going to get League fans to convert to AFL in League territory.

Sure it might create initial interest from the publicity, but when the public get used to the crap they will be served up in the first few years by the players and their respective clubs, any fans will drop off.

folou is a legend in NRL and i really hope he manages he manages to pull a stynes and become a great player in the competition. just give the poor bloke some time to actually learn how to play before you start calling for his head.

A big problem for Folau is going to be his lack of passion for the game. To be a good performer, you need to really be motivated to play it. I doubt he has any love for the game. It was a passionless business decision to switch codes and he has no connection with the game whatsoever. I think he will improve, maybe even become serviceable in a very narrow role. But a really good player? I'd say, not a chance in hell.

I'd rather he went back to rugby. So much airtime is going to be devoted to Hunt and Folau, when it really should be on real Aussie Rules players. I'm already over the novelty factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a question for the co NRL/AFL literate.

In terms of KMH and Folau's rugby ability, what AFL player's level would they be ?

For eg. Folou = Franklin

They were both stars of the NRL and very good Origin and International players (not that Test RL is much to talk about outside of games against NZ). When Folau burst onto the scene a few years ago he dominated the NRL at the age of 18/19. And Hunt, with help from Lockyer, was part of probably the best 5/8-fullback combo in the league.

In league terms, I think Inglis would be a better comparison with Buddy. Awesomely athletic and almost undeniably the biggest superstar in each league.

I'd probably go Folau = N.Riewoldt and Hunt = Bartel in terms of where they were when they left the NRL.

I'm still convinced they'll each become decent players that will contribute. They're too talented and athletic to completely fall on their respective arses. They won't be stars but they'll be decent given time.

In all fairness, this thread was started by a well known rugby troll.

And in all fairness to Folau, that was his 2nd ever game, 12 months before he's any chance whatsoever of playing an AFL game.

Yeah, I missed you too Rob, hope you have not missed me too much.

In any case, thanks to those that came through with the answers, sounds like Sheedy will have his hands full.

folou is a legend in NRL and i really hope he manages he manages to pull a stynes and become a great player in the competition. just give the poor bloke some time to actually learn how to play before you start calling for his head.
What level do you see Folau reaching as a KPP/second ruckman?

I love Setanta's attitude, mobility, agility and intensity, but you'd be dreaming if you think Folau will be anything more than a role player like Carlos who changed codes.

O'hAilpin was considered to be a rising star in Hurling.

Expect another undersized second ruck like Leigh Brown, only with less of an idea.

Casboult would probably take him to school in the ruck.

Just a question for the co NRL/AFL literate.

In terms of KMH and Folau's rugby ability, what AFL player's level would they be ?

For eg. Folou = Franklin
I never rated either particularly highly tbh, although campaigner did improve as his career went on. Folau was athletically sound (especially jumping wise and strength) but very much benifitted from being around some very good players (cronk, smith, inglis and slater at the Storm, Lockyer at Brisbane, everyone of quality in the queensland origin side) and was a poor reader of the play in defence.

I probably havent followed AFL closely enough the last couple of years but they certainly arent Franklin level, both good players but nothing outstanding.

Although im a bit biased againt campaigner, was an arrogant, disloyal ****wit from day one. And very mediocre for a long time.

It's funny, these players have been bought to create hype and interest from rugby league types, yet in my experience it's turned alot away from the game pretty quickly. People see chestbeating like this, splashing cash on players who havent played the game just because they can and they think arrogance, it's not particularly appealing. Although it has sold alot of papers so iguess from that point of view the AFL breaks even.

Obviously there's also the issue of much better players being on much smaller salaries, and how that is for dressing room harmony.

Oh and it's stupid to judge these two after how few games they've had. And it says little about the relative difficulties of either code. If anything it just shows that athletic ability can take you so far, but it's hard to replace a solid 10 years of playing and learning the game before you hit first grade, in either code, with pure athletic ability (apart from a few freaks).

Sounds about as good as Pyke's first game for the Swans. Wouldn't be too worried unless he's still struggling for a touch at the end of the year.

Pyke gave him some comforting advice after the game that went along the lines of "don't have too high expectations in the first year, after a year you'll feel more comfortable"

Langdon on 6PR saying tonight that whispers are that he's going back to the NRL, and Sheeds has gone a little too quiet on this. Obviously just a rumour though.

A big problem for Folau is going to be his lack of passion for the game. To be a good performer, you need to really be motivated to play it. I doubt he has any love for the game. It was a passionless business decision to switch codes and he has no connection with the game whatsoever. I think he will improve, maybe even become serviceable in a very narrow role. But a really good player? I'd say, not a chance in hell.

I'd rather he went back to rugby. So much airtime is going to be devoted to Hunt and Folau, when it really should be on real Aussie Rules players. I'm already over the novelty factor.

Absolutely spot on. Hunt will keep getting games but he is, in truth, probably at suburban league level, while Izzy will struggle to get to that level. AFL and League are like night and day. I have no doubt that both will end up back with the NRL.

they have already got what they wanted out of him. 9 million buck in marketing and you ignorant to think that isn't the reason why they signed him

DC, how do you work that out that the signing of Folau is worth $9 mill. in marketing to GWS ?

Can you provide a link to source that figure please ?

Also do you have any numbers of how many kids are now converted to playing AFL and how many previously NRL attached fans are now following Aussie Rules in preference to RL ?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsu:

Cheers for that. I am interested how AD specifically arrives at the figure of $9 mill., as there doesn't appear to be any mention of that calculation, other than a guestimation.

Nor I am convinced that Folau's on and off field prescence will ensure huge numbers of Western Syd. kids will start playing AFL in preference to RL or lots of rusted on NRL fans will now follow the fortunes of GWS or more importantly start going to the games.

How about the negative publicity that may eminate from his prescence at GWS, if Folau can't cut the mustard and earn a game ( or a possession) on merit, and he returns to the NRL when his multi mill. $ expires ?

I am interested how AD specifically arrives at the figure of $9 mill., as there doesn't appear to be any mention of that calculation, other than a guestimation.

i guess its saying to get the amount of coverage in newspapers, and airtime on radio, tv & internet, the AFL would of spent $9m on buying time & space on these mediums, plus paid some production company to create all the fluff, plus pay israel for his time. simply paying one bloke attracts the media time for free, and it wont end with his signing.

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD Israel Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Back