IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!! Clarkson announced as coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nightwolf_69 said:
Is the press conference on Fox Footy like Wallace's???

Not sure. Hopefully! Would be nice to hear what Clarkson has to say and see why he impressed the board so much.

If hes an assistant with Port, that means that improvements on our list wont be made for a few weeks atleast? I want to see the Axe swung asap

It was said he will be starting straight away , so I assume that means he is quitting Port and taking up his role with Hawthorn effective immediately!

So swing the axe Alistair!

Nightwolf_69 said:
If hes an assistant with Port, that means that improvements on our list wont be made for a few weeks atleast? I want to see the Axe swung asap
why? the trading period hasn't even started, swinging the axe early imo is pointless, sure we have players that won't be traded for, but why not still wait until after the trading period to make the final delistings

feher said:
why? the trading period hasn't even started, swinging the axe early imo is pointless, sure we have players that won't be traded for, but why not still wait until after the trading period to make the final delistings

I sure if you were about to lose your job 'be delisted', you would want to know asap and not have your employer keep you hanging for 5 or 6 weeks waiting...!

Terry Wallace made a good point when delisting the tigers players , said that he saw no point in speaking to players who weren't in the clubs future plans.

Hawk71 said:
I sure if you were about to lose your job 'be delisted', you would want to know asap and not have your employer keep you hanging for 5 or 6 weeks waiting...!

Terry Wallace made a good point when delisting the tigers players , said that he saw no point in speaking to players who weren't in the clubs future plans.
okay fair enough, maybe telling them, that if they can't be traded they won't be around, i would say its a pretty good sign that you are in trouble if you aren't a senior player and/or being offered a new contract, i think you would know your afl days are coming to and end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawk71 said:
2 year deal.

press conference today

about time........let's get this great club back on track!!

Congratulations Hawks with the appointment hope a new face and diffrent mentality will help teh hawks hopefully we can see the Tigers & Hawks up there in the comming season... good appointment in my eyes.

cheers :)

I have just spoken to a teammate of mine here in Melbourne, who played under Clarkson at Centrals in SA. He had nothing but praise for him. I don't know anything other the judgement of this player I have a lot of respect for, about Clarkson, so that's good enough for me.

Roll on 2005

Was just on Fox Footy a minute or so ago. He showed that he could answer the questions, yet gave no direct responses regarding who would be delisted etc.

Scott has not been informed of the decision either. Internal rumblings didnt seem to bother him, was just interested in the progression of the HFC.

Already referring to the HFC as "we"/"us" etc, was positive to see. Hopefully he'll do the job, time will tell. It seems as though he doesn't burn bridges, all people associated with him seem to have the highest respect for him. Senior AFL coaching is a different ball game altogether though.

I'm not as convinced as I was with Terry Wallace coaching Hawthorn, however we're stuck with Clarkson. Time to produce. 2 years may not be ample, yet its enough time to prove himself.

I think he spoke well, and is focused to make us a better team and club. We had to bite the bullet with someone, and im happy it was him in all honesty. I hope he can get our list competitive again and have us pushing for finals in the future.

Hope he does well for himself... he's done pretty well here in Adelaide.

Career highlights--Premiership coach with Central District in 2001 & SANFL State Coach 2003. Also coached Centrals to 2002 GF, finished runner-up.

I still would have liked to see Tony Liberatore as our new coah, but I hope Clarkson will do the job. Just like you guys i'm sick of waiting!

i was originally in favour of o'donnell, purely because (A), he has coached along side matthews but mainly because he is not an x hawk player...
i am happy with the appointment of clarkson,i believe a fresh outlook will be best and we can lookforward to 2005...yes he is untried at AFL level but has been successfull at the step below...i'm sure we should see improvement in the way things are at hawthorn..lots of people are saying he is responsible for ports midfield success , this year he's been the forward coach, these two areas are where we need to lift quite a bit...i am now lookingforward to seeing who we pick up in the pre-season and having a good crack in 2005..

GO HAWKS......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feher said:
okay fair enough, maybe telling them, that if they can't be traded they won't be around, i would say its a pretty good sign that you are in trouble if you aren't a senior player and/or being offered a new contract, i think you would know your afl days are coming to and end.
The players we delisted had absolutely no chance of being traded . I think Miller acted swiftly and professionally in swinging the axe quickly and humanely

How do you think those blokes would have felt sitting there listening to TW`s "vision for the future" knowing ( 95% ) that they were not going to be there ? ...... Right decision

Hawk fans, I'm keen to hear what you make of the two year deal?

I know a lot of you were critical for Richmond offering Wallace a 5 year deal but the situation is very clear at tigerland, we need to rebuild and that takes time. A 5 year deal takes the pressure off the coach to get results immediately, instead concentrate on building for the future.

A 2 year deal implies the pressure will be on from word go to get results. Personally I see the Hawks in a similar positon to the tiges of a few years ago, we overrated our list, topped up instead of continuing to build for the future and as a result ended up where we are now (also thanks to a very inept coach). I've heard some rumours (completely unsubstantiated) that there are people in the Hawks organisation that think the team is not very far off the flag (almost all media people had the Hawks in the 8, many top 2, even winning the flag). As a result, they may look to just top up the list, trade away draft picks for established players. If they did this, I could see disaster for the Hawks, they may win more games than the tigers next year, but after a couple of years would fall behind.

So anyway, back to the original question, what do you make of the two-year deal and the timing of the appointment. It doesn't give him much time to prepare before trade week and it doesn't really give a vote of confidence in him being able to rebuild the team from scratch.

Also, how does the Don Scott factor come into it? He's said if he doesn't support the coach appointed, he will get rid of him. Would be very hard for Clarkson to operate with that threat looming.

Remove this Banner Ad

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!! Clarkson announced as coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back