IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!! Clarkson announced as coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

For a key appointment, this thread didn't get much action.
Weren't there many on here in '04?

Not really Flukey. BF was only a minor player in 2004. 1 moderator and 1 forum, no sub forums. Hawk supporters generally went to another Hawk website to discuss things all Hawthorn. That changed in about 2005 when that forum went from being a public forum to a private forum due to some....issues :)

It was only then that Hawthorn footy forum refugees started turning up here and discussing all things Hawthorn.

That changed in about 2005 when that forum went from being a public forum to a private forum due to some....issues :)

So I was also on the other forum and strolled across here in '05.
I couldn't recall the circumstances though of how I ended up here.o_O

Not really Flukey. BF was only a minor player in 2004. 1 moderator and 1 forum, no sub forums. Hawk supporters generally went to another Hawk website to discuss things all Hawthorn. That changed in about 2005 when that forum went from being a public forum to a private forum due to some....issues :)

It was only then that Hawthorn footy forum refugees started turning up here and discussing all things Hawthorn.
In 2004, the only forum I knew of was Belmont Forum Shopping Centreo_O
I had barely used a computer way back then

I was a Hawk HQ refugee and moved over to BigFooty around 2004, they went all wierd over there! Is that site still going nowadays?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory were the issues releasing a certain persons telephone number that Hawthorn people were very displeased with on the forum or do I have my memory confused?

I remember a sh*t storm ensued and this person got some pretty nasty calls if so.

From memory were the issues releasing a certain persons telephone number that Hawthorn people were very displeased with on the forum or do I have my memory confused?

I remember a sh*t storm ensued and this person got some pretty nasty calls if so.
The owner of the forum decided that having a public forum opened himself up to trouble, like the posting of Goldspinks work number. He took the opportunity to privatise the site, and keep it to a dull roar that wouldn't have the AFL knocking on his door.

The owner of the forum decided that having a public forum opened himself up to trouble, like the posting of Goldspinks work number. He took the opportunity to privatise the site, and keep it to a dull roar that wouldn't have the AFL knocking on his door.

Gold!

A little off tangent I know but does anyone remember from HHQ going shares in a dishlicker named Select Monelli (we tried to name it after a Hawks player but it was too late)? About 10 of us put in.

From memory it cost me $300, I saw it win or place in about it's 3rd race then never heard a thing again for one reason or another I cannot remember.

Interesting read. Turned out to be the most important appointment for the club in the last 20 years. I also think that Clarko has many more years left at Hawthorn. The '09 season will really extend his tenure at the club, as he now understands that if you not moving forward you are going backwards.

It is also amazing how much this forum has grown in the last few years. Probably not for the better though.

It's amazing how many people still don't understand this entire point. Wallace was never a serious contender for the Hawthorn job whilst he was talking telephone number salaries and 5 year deals. The club simply was never going to entertain the idea.

Wallace knew this, Richmond didn't. Had Richmond have known this, they could have negotiated properly instead of offering him whetever he wanted just so the Hawks couldn't get him. Big mistake Tigers.

He expected Hawthorn to genuflect and kiss his ring, and when we didn't he went running to the media criticising us for not showing enough interest. He did the same with the Crows. He criticised them on Adelaide radio saying they didn't show enough interest, then Stephen Trigg came on air very annoyed and said they had made the appropriate expressions of interest but weren't prepared to meet his demands. Wallace is a tool.

As for Wallace being overrated ... absolutely. The way the press, and Wallace himself, were carrying on you would think he was a triple premiership coach or something. There's nothing special about Wallace's coaching ability.

Not sure about Eade. I have a feeling he would have entered Hawthorn's calculations had he not signed with the Bulldogs in whirlwind fashion ... yet another club who signed a coach in haste just so another club couldn't snap him up ... although from what I hear, Eade's terms were very reasonable.

I know Eade was to meet with the Hawks the day after he signed with the Bulldogs, maybe that meeting was to determine whether Eade was a worthwhile candidate.

It emerged later that the Bulldogs basicaly didn't let Eade out of their premises until he'd signed a contract to coach them. Obviously the Dogs were worried that Eade would give serious thought to coaching Hawthorn if the job was offered to him.

LOL even I think that's funny, I'd like to think I was actually being sarcastic (having a go at a 2 year contract suggests this) but shit its 10 years old I cant remember back that far. How awesome was Terry Wallace?

To be fair, it was just after the Tiges had signed Wallace for 5 so I would have interpreted it as sarcasm.

It emerged later that the Bulldogs basicaly didn't let Eade out of their premises until he'd signed a contract to coach them. Obviously the Dogs were worried that Eade would give serious thought to coaching Hawthorn if the job was offered to him.

The thing that annoyed me most at that time was that Jason Dunstall had already told the media that the search for a new coach was going to be a long and exhaustive one, and that the club were going to interview as many people as they deemed necessary in order to make the correct call. In other words, "Don't expect any decision on a new coach for some time to come".

And yet, both Wallace and Eade saw fit to criticize Hawthorn for not moving heaven and earth to appoint them immediately. Talk about putting your egos first. Eade, I can sort of understand because I believe he would have taken the Hawthorn job had it been offered to him, but also couldn't afford to hold out on a firm offer from the Bulldogs.

Wallace was just being a tool. He used Hawthorn (and the media) to secure a 5 year deal with Richmond. That was his preferred option, and he only attended an interview with the Hawks in order to place pressure on Richmond. The meeting, along with everything else Wallace did at the time, received great publicity in the media. He was appointed to Richmond the very next day. To cover up by coming out and criticizing Hawthorn for not appointing him showed to me exactly what sort of person he was. Terry always has to be number 1, nobody else's opinions count for anything.

I had never forgiven him for walking out on the club after a successful 1986 flag campaign because he was made to play in a back pocket in the GF instead of allowing him to be the all-star centre man. It was pathetic. However, his criticism of the Hawthorn Club after using them to stitch up a 5 year deal with Richmond showed he has never been, nor ever will be a team player, and people who aren't team players NEVER make successful coaches. I have nothing against Richmond, but for that brief time he coached them, I rejoiced in every failure they had ..... and I had plenty of reason to rejoice.

I can still recall Wallace at the time being involved in a radio discussion on who would coach the Tigers and Hawks. To Wallace, it was simply a matter of which club he would choose to coach, the Tigers or the Hawks. Someone else would just have to take the club he didn't want. Yibbadda, Yibbadda, That's Terry Folks!!!!

The thing that annoyed me most at that time was that Jason Dunstall had already told the media that the search for a new coach was going to be a long and exhaustive one, and that the club were going to interview as many people as they deemed necessary in order to make the correct call. In other words, "Don't expect any decision on a new coach for some time to come".

And yet, both Wallace and Eade saw fit to criticize Hawthorn for not moving heaven and earth to appoint them immediately. Talk about putting your egos first. Eade, I can sort of understand because I believe he would have taken the Hawthorn job had it been offered to him, but also couldn't afford to hold out on a firm offer from the Bulldogs.

Wallace was just being a tool. He used Hawthorn (and the media) to secure a 5 year deal with Richmond. That was his preferred option, and he only attended an interview with the Hawks in order to place pressure on Richmond. The meeting, along with everything else Wallace did at the time, received great publicity in the media. He was appointed to Richmond the very next day. To cover up by coming out and criticizing Hawthorn for not appointing him showed to me exactly what sort of person he was. Terry always has to be number 1, nobody else's opinions count for anything.

I had never forgiven him for walking out on the club after a successful 1986 flag campaign because he was made to play in a back pocket in the GF instead of allowing him to be the all-star centre man. It was pathetic. However, his criticism of the Hawthorn Club after using them to stitch up a 5 year deal with Richmond showed he has never been, nor ever will be a team player, and people who aren't team players NEVER make successful coaches. I have nothing against Richmond, but for that brief time he coached them, I rejoiced in every failure they had ..... and I had plenty of reason to rejoice.

I can still recall Wallace at the time being involved in a radio discussion on who would coach the Tigers and Hawks. To Wallace, it was simply a matter of which club he would choose to coach, the Tigers or the Hawks. Someone else would just have to take the club he didn't want. Yibbadda, Yibbadda, That's Terry Folks!!!!

Love this and all true.

Especially the line of Terry is number 1. You wouldn't meet a more self absorbed individual. Someone I'm very close to played alongside him for years and well he and many others can't stand the bloke.

The thing is, at the time, Goldsphincter was a regular on a radio breakfast show, where he often plugged the place where he was working at the time, a local newsagency, IIRC.
It's not as though the number wasn't publicly available to anyone who wanted to find it out.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!"
- Groucho Marx

Love this and all true.

Especially the line of Terry is number 1. You wouldn't meet a more self absorbed individual. Someone I'm very close to played alongside him for years and well he and many others can't stand the bloke.
Does said person coach in the south-eastern region of vic?
If so, I too know him, and to censor his words, most of Wallace's teammates from the VFL days, if they saw him on fire and had a bottle of water, they'd drink the water, and throw him the empty bottle

Remove this Banner Ad

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!! Clarkson announced as coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back