Ivo Crapp & West Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
So as part of our podcast we have segment called Crapp Watch, which follows the exploits of umpire Ivo Crapp

we are researching for the 1920 season and I came across a few articles suggesting he was the coach of west Perth

Is anyone here able to give me further information on this? The WAFL history sites have no mention of his name around this time.

This is what i have found on trove...
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/...eFrom=1920-01-01|||dateTo=1920-12-01|||sortby

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/...eFrom=1920-01-01|||dateTo=1920-12-01|||sortby

many Thanks

Just had a quick look in a few WAFL history books hoping for a passing mention, but nothing in The Footballers, The Sandover Medal Men (WP's Boyd won it in 1921) and even the South history book by Errington (can't find my Harrison/Lee Vol 1), but nothing, so I'd just be trove searching too.

Having tried to trace South coaches and captains from that era, naming coaches it captains was remarkably all low key, compared to now.

This says he coached West Perth:
upload_2018-11-5_0-23-11.png

However, Wikipedia says this: Although some[3] assert that Crapp coached East Perth in 1909, it seems unlikely. Records indicate that he also umpired every week that season, including a final in which East Perth played; and, so, perhaps, he may have been active in some other capacity with the club, given that Ben Wallish, the team's captain, was the coach.[12]

Note that, although the Subiaco Football Club's "Honour Roll" clearly records that its 1910 captain-coach was Jack Diprose,[13] an April 1910 press report, states that "Ivor Crapp is coaching the Subiaco 18 this season";[14] and, so, it my be that Crapp, from time to time, took on various advisory duties with various WAFL teams.
====================================
This (Jan. 1924) article says "For the past three years he has coached the West Perth club with considerable success."

There's a few contradictions here, so I've no idea what to believe!

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37632191
upload_2018-11-5_1-20-23.png

This says that he had accepted the job of West Perth coach for the 1914 season. But it seems he abandoned the idea, and continued umpiring: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/79920846

Some sources suggest that he coached West Perth in 1920, and this says he was replaced in 1921, yet this has him umpiring in 1920!!!

This has him coaching the team in late May 1920, but he must have left the job soon after, for some reason!

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-5_0-22-59.png
    upload_2018-11-5_0-22-59.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Went and grabbed my copy of It’s a Grand Old Flag.

Tony Tyson is listed as coach for 1920 and 1921, with Tom Souter as '21 and 22. So Souter replaced Tyson it seems, although both were captain-coaches. Crapp is not listed as coach at any point. However he does appear in a picture of the 1922 team in a suit, with the caption 'The 1922 team and officials'.

It is also mentioned that he accepted the role of coach in 1914 but..

What happened between Crapp's appointment and the commencement of the season is not clear, but by the start of the 1914 season he was back in the role as central umpire.

And he has is listed as an honorary life member. That's every mention of him in the book.

I am in contact with a club historian, I will let you know what i find!
This was my reply from a club contract.

The club’s official history has Tony Tyson as coach for 1920, but, like you, I had seen references on Trove to Ivo having been coach.

You can certainly say that I believe he was coach and that the records are being reviewed to confirm this. But no decision has been made to amend the club’s official position.

There’s good reason for this. Brian Atkinson, who wrote the club’s official history in 2007, had access to the club’s minute books when he wrote in his book that Tyson was coach. They are currently locked away and inaccessible. They may shed some further light on the position and contradict what is on Trove, so I wouldn’t want to make a definitive call without first reviewing those.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

This was my reply from a club contract.

The club’s official history has Tony Tyson as coach for 1920, but, like you, I had seen references on Trove to Ivo having been coach.

You can certainly say that I believe he was coach and that the records are being reviewed to confirm this. But no decision has been made to amend the club’s official position.

There’s good reason for this. Brian Atkinson, who wrote the club’s official history in 2007, had access to the club’s minute books when he wrote in his book that Tyson was coach. They are currently locked away and inaccessible. They may shed some further light on the position and contradict what is on Trove, so I wouldn’t want to make a definitive call without first reviewing those.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
It seems incredible that local papers could write that Crapp was coach of West Perth for 2 years and 3 years, when (if he did indeed coach at all) it was for a few weeks at the most. Pretty odd story, this one!!

It seems incredible that local papers could write that Crapp was coach of West Perth for 2 years and 3 years, when (if he did indeed coach at all) it was for a few weeks at the most. Pretty odd story, this one!!
I think the concept of coach back then was very fluid. Team manager, head trainer, guest motivator, chief selector... All coach like positions that he could've held, when match day control was probably still primarily held by the captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ivo Crapp & West Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back