Player Watch Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Stynes tag teamed with a better ruck in Stephen ODwyer for much of his career, and when he retired (maybe went to Richmond?) due to injuries Schwarz and that ugly FF Bennett chopped out in the ruck.

Stynes was fitter but not a very talented tap ruck (ODwyer was clearly superior for mine) and only a passable short kick (he seemed to dink them about 20 metres). O'Dwyer took the important hit outs when they played, Stynes rucked more around the ground. definitely extremely fit, he was described as more like ruck rover the way he got around the field: most rucks then were dinosaurs. Maybe he did match Crisps game time? Its plausible.

Stynes was a good handball though and a nice man, which I think is most of the reason for the adulation. He got a lot of credit for not being crap even he only took the game up at about 19.

Very over rated as a player for mine, a good fit player but never the best player in the league, or even at Melbourne really.
AA, Brownlow and AFLPA in the same year, and 4 club BnFs as well as another AA, would say your view is a tad on the negative side.

Stynes tag teamed with a better ruck in Stephen ODwyer for much of his career, and when he retired (maybe went to Richmond?) due to injuries Schwarz and that ugly FF Bennett chopped out in the ruck.

Stynes was fitter but not a very talented tap ruck (ODwyer was clearly superior for mine) and only a passable short kick (he seemed to dink them about 20 metres). O'Dwyer took the important hit outs when they played, Stynes rucked more around the ground. definitely extremely fit, he was described as more like ruck rover the way he got around the field: most rucks then were dinosaurs. Maybe he did match Crisps game time? Its plausible.

Stynes was a good handball though and a nice man, which I think is most of the reason for the adulation. He got a lot of credit for not being crap even he only took the game up at about 19.

Very over rated as a player for mine, a good fit player but never the best player in the league, or even at Melbourne really.
It was an era when everyone focussed a lot on number of possessions and at his best he got a tonne of them for a ruck. I thought he was a superstar - like Dean Cox who gave his team an extra mid - and Grundy more recently for us. But you might be right if you put him through a more modern effectiveness lense - much like the downgrading of what Grundy does.

Last edited:

It was an era when everyone focussed a lot on number of possessions and at his best he got a tonne of them for a ruck. I thought he was outstanding - like Dean Cox who gave his team an extra mid - and Grundy more recently for us. But you might be right if you put him through a more modern effectiveness lense - much like Grundy.
It was also an era when it was completely acceptable, even expected, for coaches to go into full abuse mode. Imagine if a player pulled off this mistake now? There'd be hugs and requests to give him space to protect his mental health.
1729651843537.png

I’d do that this time around, but after his next 244 I’d just keep going.
Crispy’s just lucky that Malthouse coached, otherwise Tarks would be sitting at around 470 straight by now.

It was also an era when it was completely acceptable, even expected, for coaches to go into full abuse mode. Imagine if a player pulled off this mistake now? There'd be hugs and requests to give him space to protect his mental health.
View attachment 2150282
Knowing which players respond well to a cuddle or a bake is the art of a good coach. Jimmy was a tough Irishman. A lot would of crumbled after this incident and returned home. He turned into the premier ruckman in the game and a Brownlow medallist. Compare that to the snowflakes that return to their hometowns an hour away down the highway..

I'm probably biased because I dislike Melbourne, but what I mostly remember about Stynes was dinky chip kicks and average ruck work.
I remember the courage he showed battling an incurable illness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back