Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to Hawks 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Match ups won't help. It's how he plays. About as tight as a 30 year vet on Fitzroy Street
Steve Brule What GIF

Of course they will say that to rub it in as they are pretty lowbrow morons pandering to the media. Guarantee they wouldn’t have said anything if they lost… and they almost did.

If Ginnis harmless post on social media to an ex teammate made Port play better, then Port have serious issues.
You obviously love Ginnivan. I’ve haven’t seen port as fired up or applying as much pressure as they did in the first quarter all year. Port were obviously fired up at least partly as a result of Ginnivan’s comments. In a 3 point margin even the smallest bit of extra motivation makes a difference to the end result.

You obviously love Ginnivan. I’ve haven’t seen port as fired up or applying as much pressure as they did in the first quarter all year. Port were obviously fired up at least partly as a result of Ginnivan’s comments. In a 3 point margin even the smallest bit of extra motivation makes a difference to the end result
I just think it was a storm in a teacup, that’s all. I disagree that port were fired up over it, not in any meaningful way anyway that resulted in extra effort on the ground or better results.

They finished second on the ladder for a reason so I assume they have played some good footballl and applied good pressure along the journey, so I think you’re guessing a bit that the first quarter is the best all year.

I just think it was a storm in a teacup, that’s all. I disagree that port were fired up over it, not in any meaningful way anyway that resulted in extra effort on the ground or better results.

They finished second on the ladder for a reason so I assume they have played some good footballl and applied good pressure along the journey, so I think you’re guessing a bit that the first quarter is the best all year.
Remember Dean Jones telling the umpire that big bird Joel Garners wrist band was a distraction. That worked out well for Australia....not!! Bad move to fire up the opposition. Ginni's comment may well have just cost them a prelim.

I love Ginni, but I think we are well shod of him.

I’ve said it all the way along, I don’t miss him one bit.

He’s a clown.

His last 3 finals;
  • Races the night before a grand final
  • Pub the night before an elimination final
  • Giving ammo to the opponent on social in the week leading up to a semi final

He has also played like dogshyte in 2 of these games.

The club is bigger than the player.

Remember Dean Jones telling the umpire that big bird Joel Garners wrist band was a distraction. That worked out well for Australia....not!! Bad move to fire up the opposition. Ginni's comment may well have just cost them a prelim.

I love Ginni, but I think we are well shod of him.
Terrible analogy.

I mean it could have been a close loss walk away now it's a close loss with this smart arse hanging around and it is fodder

Hawks have embraced smartarsery. It's not just Ginni.

In that press conference after Sam supported Ginnis smartarsery, a journo asked a really good question about their goal celebrations. And as Sam pointed out, these kids love their job.

They've got a group of young smartarses strutting their stuff and spruiking themselves up. They're loving it and playing excellent footy. I think he's right to let them go. And he was right.

The issue is when he and his captain become piously outraged when someone fires back at the smartarsery. I doubt their young smartarses would have been fazed. It's all part of the American style trash talking spruiking game they're playing - which they love and are excelling in.

Now what's the message they're getting around smartarsery? Their cockiness was part of their edge this year. They rode it big time.

Last edited:
I teach young men who continue to parrot again and again, behaviours they see outside school
It’s narcissistic. It’s ignorant. It’s exhausting.

My concern is totally different. Shit stirring banter like Ginnis tweet and Kenny's comeback is innate. It's a big part of how boys play and occurs in every culture on the planet.

It's Mitchell praising Sicily for great leadership for losing the plot and being unable to emotionally regulate that is concerning in terms of taught behaviour.

My concern is totally different. Shit stirring banter like Ginnis and Kenny's is innate. It's a big part of how boys play and occurs in every culture on the planet.

It's Mitchell praising Sicily for great leadership for losing the plot and being unable to emotionally regulate that is concerning in terms of taught behaviour.

I thought it was a poor look for Sicily to continue verballing Kenny while he was carrying off his mate for his 300th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was a poor look for Sicily to continue verballing Kenny while he was carrying off his mate for his 300th.
Yep, no one's mentioning his behaviour. Everyone wants to go on about the big old meany man picking on the young kid..then the opposing view is Sicily not respecting his elders.. 😉 and not thinking of a senior team mate's 300th.

He lost the plot. Didn't deal with defeat and found an outlet to have a tantrum at.

Ginni made a smartarse tweet. Kenny waited until the right time for a smartarse comeback. A bit of harmless banter.

Then Hawk captain used it as a reason to let out his tears. Followed and supported by Hawk coach. Embarrassing.

I love the footy they're playing, but it's hard to like them.

Last edited:
I’ve said it all the way along, I don’t miss him one bit.

He’s a clown.

His last 3 finals;
  • Races the night before a grand final
  • Pub the night before an elimination final
  • Giving ammo to the opponent on social in the week leading up to a semi final

He has also played like dogshyte in 2 of these games.

The club is bigger than the player.
But but but but he can be himself and that’s all that matters and why he loves the hawks and the hawks love him.

Sicily again went in to bat for Ginnivan and his teammates on Saturday morning: “I can’t recall exactly what was said. He was talking to our players and said something to Ginni and I think what I do as a leader is I always have my teammates’ back and I will stick up for them regardless of who is in the right or the wrong,” he said as the Hawks prepared to fly home.

exactly the type of behaviours you want young men to normalise & aspire to!

My concern is totally different. Shit stirring banter like Ginnis tweet and Kenny's comeback is innate. It's a big part of how boys play and occurs in every culture on the planet.

Mitchell could have done more to address Ginnivan’s tweet during the week. A simple message about being respectful of the opposition would have taken the heat out of it.

You can’t condone Ginnivan and then get all sooky when it comes back the other way.

In that press conference after Sam supported Ginnis smartarsery, a journo asked a really good question about their goal celebrations. And as Sam pointed out, these kids love their job.

They've got a group of young smartarses strutting their stuff and spruiking themselves up. They're loving it and playing excellent footy. I think he's right to let them go. And he was right.

The issue is when he and his captain become piously outraged when someone fires back at the smartarsery. I doubt their young smartarses would have been fazed. It's all part of the American style trash talking spruiking game they're playing - which they love and are excelling in.

Now what's the message they're getting around smartarsery? Their cockiness was part of their edge this year. They rode it big time.
You’re right, it is the whole club.
Just like Melbourne.
Hasn’t gone too well for them.

The Coodabeens' "Man from Canterbury" would be appalled at this narcissistic display - it's not cricket and would provoke even the most properly brought up people (think Grammar, Scotch etc) to mutter rude responses - even shake fists.

Some Hawthorn supporters probably support Trump

Mitchell could have done more to address Ginnivan’s tweet during the week. A simple message about being respectful of the opposition would have taken the heat out of it.

You can’t condone Ginnivan and then get all sooky when it comes back the other way.
Yep. I didn't mind Hodge having a go at Kenny, as he also had a go at Ginni for his shit stirring. But Mitchell doing so was pathetic when he'd come out in the week saying nothing to see here about the shit stirring.

Personally, I've got nothing against either Ginni or Kenny doing what they did. A bit of fun and entrtainment from both of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to Hawks 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back