Discussion Jack Steele vs Lenny Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Yesterday Luke Hodge (I think it was) said he'd never seen anyone as committed on the footy field as Jack Steele. I haven't followed him closely but his efforts etc are definitely admirable. This invariably brought to mind a comparison with the great Lenny Hayes, who was often praised for his toughness and heart and leadership on the field. They seem to play similar roles too. Granted very different eras, but how would you compare the two as players and leaders?

Lenny was a legendary finals performer.

Always lifted 3-4 notches in big games.

Steele will need to replicate that before he is at Lenny's level for mine

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is pretty much my position as well. I’d love it if in the end we can talk about them in the same sentence. Lenny was in amici better team in his prime as well. They are definitely of similar role though.

Lenny was a legendary finals performer.

Always lifted 3-4 notches in big games.

Steele will need to replicate that before he is at Lenny's level for mine

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app
We need to get Steele in those finals first. I have full faith that he has the drive that Lenny had. And I'm not saying that lightly. I think Steele would move earth itself if it meant finals success. I just have that feeling about Jack

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

who cares
Exactly it’s a fair discussion, pretty similar players. Both can tackle all day and win contested footy. I feel like Lenny had a bit more class, his foot skills in particular were quality whilst Steele is a better overhead mark.

As others have said Lenny went to another level in big games which gives him the edge, hopefully we see Steele get the same opportunity in finals soon.

Yesterday Luke Hodge (I think it was) said he'd never seen anyone as committed on the footy field as Jack Steele. I haven't followed him closely but his efforts etc are definitely admirable. This invariably brought to mind a comparison with the great Lenny Hayes, who was often praised for his toughness and heart and leadership on the field. They seem to play similar roles too. Granted very different eras, but how would you compare the two as players and leaders?

Steele is a great player and probably our most important player however he isn't anywhere near Lenny's level yet.

In saying that, Lenny had some great players around him.

Steele is a great player and probably our most important player however he isn't anywhere near Lenny's level yet.

In saying that, Lenny had some great players around him.

Lenny's ability to strap the side on his back and drag them out of the trenches set him apart. He was a very good player but his internal drive was what made him special.

Lenny's ability to strap the side on his back and drag them out of the trenches set him apart. He was a very good player but his internal drive was what made him special.
Probably got that from the first family he lived with when drafted. Almost certain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lenny is massively underrated and was one of the best midfielders of a generation that included Ablett, Judd, Swan etc. Love Steele but I can't think of an aspect of his game that Lenny wasn't better at. Steele maybe better overhead?

Leadership wise same boat, Steele is great but Lenny was a one in a generation type leader.

Lenny is massively underrated and was one of the best midfielders of a generation that included Ablett, Judd, Swan etc. Love Steele but I can't think of an aspect of his game that Lenny wasn't better at. Steele maybe better overhead?

Leadership wise same boat, Steele is great but Lenny was a one in a generation type leader.
Steele certainly had him overhead. Lenny was an underrated third man up not that you can do that anymore.

Hayes is streets ahead of Steele IMO. Both are tough, courageous "spiritual leader" types but Hayes stood up time and time again for us in big finals. 2005 qualifying, 2010 GF. A warrior. Granted Steele hasn't had those opportunities yet but I can't put him on par or ahead unless he has similar performances in big games.

Hayes is streets ahead of Steele IMO. Both are tough, courageous "spiritual leader" types but Hayes stood up time and time again for us in big finals. 2005 qualifying, 2010 GF. A warrior. Granted Steele hasn't had those opportunities yet but I can't put him on par or ahead unless he has similar performances in big games.
The fact that Steele is or maybe was our best player yet isn’t ahead of Lenny just says how good our side was in the late 2000’s Lenny was only the second best player then and only the third best when he played. Some may even argue fourth or fifth best We had some unbelievable players. How the hell didn’t we win a flag. I’m getting sad now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back