Senior Jack Steele

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Jack can build on his game from last week... seemed to be getting back a lot of confidence.

He will play a very important role in the middle this week.

Several Saints stood out in the club’s first Friday night game of 2018, a comfortable 64-point win over the bottom-placed Carlton.

But one Saint, in particular, stole the limelight, continuing his recent run of good form and putting together arguably the best performance of his career.

For the fourth consecutive game, Jack Steele was influential in the middle, using his sizeable bulk to both attack the contest with ferocity and distribute with class and accuracy.

READ: Saints on song

Quickly become a fan favourite among the faithful for his aggression and hardness, the midfield bull’s numbers were simply extraordinary.

A game-high 10 tackles and team-high numbers in disposals (33), contested possessions (15) and clearances (7) were capped off with a goal and an astonishing 97% disposal efficiency.

In a season where accurate distribution has sometimes proved difficult for the Saints, Steele’s ability to win the footy and hit targets by both hand and foot were invaluable.

The 22-year-old said he is relishing his new role in the middle, and that the singular focus that a “run-with” role entails has allowed him to play his best footy.

“It’s fair to say that’s probably my best game in my career,” he told saints.com.au post-match.

“(My role) allows me to just get to work and try and stop them from getting the ball, but if it’s there to be won, just go and get it myself.”

SteeleOliver.jpg

Some big names loom as possible match-ups for the ex-Giant next week in Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin, but the boy from Canberra said the Saints will take some confidence from their extraordinary win in the same fixture in 2017.

“I think we’ve shown the last couple of weeks that we’re capable of playing good footy, and Maddie’s Match last year was a cracker for us, so hopefully we can replicate that next Friday,” Steele said.

WATCH: Saints celebrate win

Senior coach Alan Richardson was full of praise for the efforts of the young midfielder, despite the obvious class of his direct opponent.

“I thought ‘Steeley’ battled away manfully,” he said.

“I thought (Patrick) Cripps was probably the best player on the ground, but I felt that ‘Steeley’ will learn from that performance; he certainly never gave up.

“He’s been playing footy the right way for us, and we’re really pleased with what he’s doing.”

The Saints will need to turn it on next Friday night at the same ground, as they host the top-of-the-table reigning premiers in Richmond in the annual Maddie’s Match.

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Swallow, tick. Clayton Oliver, tick. Ollie Wines, tick.

Callan Ward? Tick.

Emerging Saints midfielder Jack Steele took his game to another level again when he kept his ex-captain Callan Ward to just 20 possessions.

Known as “the backpack”, Steele’s close guarding of the Giants’ skipper heavily restricted his influence, with Ward’s output significantly lower than when the two sides last met.

The ex-Giant has gone from strength to strength since first being thrown into a shut-down role in Round 13 against the Gold Coast Suns, the Saints’ first win since Round 1.

When senior coach Alan Richardson called for a defensive midfielder to play the selfless role that is sacrificing your own game to restrict the most dangerous opposition player, Steele didn’t hesitate, and it has paid dividends.

Not for the first time in recent weeks, Richardson singled out the defensive midfielder post-match for his efforts, but it wasn’t just Steele’s ability to restrict his direct opponent that had the coach glowing.

“We thought that Steele, against their captain Ward, did a really good job for us,” the coach said.

“Ward only had 11 possessions until three-quarter time, then we broke the tag to try and win the game, and ‘Steeley’ was able to get a bit of ball for us and certainly created some opportunities.

Alan Richardson said his key enforcer Jack Steele is "earning a lot of respect".

His proximity to the contest has allowed him to attack both his man and the football, and since stepping into his new role, he’s averaged 24.8 disposals, 7.2 tackles, 10.8 contested possessions and 4.3 clearances.

Richardson also highlighted the Canberran’s character, emphasising his impressive recent upward swing.

“That young man’s heading the right way really quickly,” Richardson said.

“He’s selfless, he’s playing for the team and he’s earning a lot of respect.”

Jack Steele’s aggression and physicality have captivated the red, white and black faithful, and the midfield bull will be looking to take more big names before the season’s out.

Go Saints

In an otherwise bleak year, Jack has been a highlight of late. His overhead marking was excellent on Friday and showed another string in his bow. He is easily our third best midfielder at the moment. Hopefully can take his game to another level next year.

If Jack can bring the type of performance from the weekend each week then he will be an elite midfielder.

Here's hoping...

If Jack can bring the type of performance from the weekend each week then he will be an elite midfielder.

Here's hoping...

Jack has been one of our shining lights this year . It’s easy to forget he is still young and hasn’t played that many games . He is going to be a beauty.

Go Saints

An outstanding end to the season from Jack. If he brings this form to next year then we'll have an elite mid on our hands.

An outstanding end to the season from Jack. If he brings this form to next year then we'll have an elite mid on our hands.

That's what i was saying this time last year.
Was pretty disappointed with him early in the season, but he's ended , probably slightly up on last year.

That's what i was saying this time last year.
Was pretty disappointed with him early in the season, but he's ended , probably slightly up on last year.
You're right actually... this time last year was looking really promising for him. Hopefully he learns from the slow start this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back