No Oppo Supporters Jack Watts - Traded to PA for pick 31, Thanks Jack

Jack Watts?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point. Although the Hibberd trade was in unique circumstances (given the player suspensions). A good deal for the club nonetheless.

However, The handling of Watts and the eventual deal has reeked of ineptitude, in my opinion.
It's does look like it could have been handled better, but I'm not overly disappointed with the outcome, it looks like the coach wanted him gone and 31 seems about right

My take on this is, Jack must have been snorting Wizz Fizz from the décolletage of Simon Goodwin's wife! For us to trade him for pick 31 makes me think we have been bent over a little bit, but to also pay part of his salary is turning the 'bend over' to 'grab our ankles and grit our teeth'. Jack must have really ****ed up somewhere.. oh well... Go Dees!

I hope we settled for the meh pick to help Watts get to the club he chose. Seems fair enough to me. Obviously a higher pick would be awesome but since Watts was accomodating in seeking a new club, it seems the right thing to do.
If he was OOC I wonder if we'd have just delisted him.

footage of our forward entry strategy next year
1140351.gif

Remember when i was going on about how would Port afford this, from what i've heard turns out we're paying some of his contract next year

Maybe its a matter of taking the best we could get from Port in order to facilitate a move to the club of his choice (well, second club ... given he didn't originally want to move and all) rather than dick him around? I think it would have been pretty shit to tell him we would like him to consider being traded, get him to spend the past few weeks talking to other clubs and mentally preparing to move interstate and all, then turn around once he has settled on Port and say 'nup mate, we couldn't get enough value so you're staying put'.
That's called "Doing a Western Bulldog".

In the end a good deal for Port. However realistically we wouldn't have expected much or anymore than 25. Unfortunately for Melbourne Port the only club willing to cough up. Geelong were keen but apparently wanted to flip us a pick in the 50s.
We pay a part of Watts salary. Big deal this happens all the time. Especially when the club is offloading a player. It's not like we're going to be paying his whole salary.
There are obviously some issues with Watts. Mahoney alluding to some preparation issues but said it was mainly that after 9 years he hasn't performed tomthe expected level. I think reading between the lines of the recent Jones Goodwin and Mahoney interviews they expect more from him outside of performances for a 9 year player. Probably not setting the example.
In terms of team structure we have brought Lever in and will likely play Tmac forward with Hogan and possibly Weideman/Pedersen. Or we'll go more mobile with Vandenberg or Tim Smith as options who provide pressure.
Anyway sad to see Watts go as he was a fan favourite over the years. But I'll back the footy department.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had been waiting for the best time to crack this one out, and it never came, so why not ... I certainly thought when I was creating it he had a lot more than 5 games left in the Red and Blue. Thanks for the memories Jack ... sucks that I'll actually have a reason to watch Port, and want to see them have limited success.

ggJvfyb.png

No-one with a brain actually uses the hard ball thing as a reason though. You get some twit supporters of ours who go berserk because he wouldn't kill himself like Viney would to win the ball, but this is more about setting standards off-field I think. If Watts puts in minimum effort on the track and every few weeks on gameday then we can't turn around and demand elite standards from our kids because we're making two sets of rules for Jack.
Absolutely spot on. There really should be more people pissed off at Jack for putting the club in this position.

I feel – based on a mix of his skill, his personality, and the fact that he seems like a good bloke – that he’s been getting away with this for way too long.

Who knows how many times they've had to sit him down and tell him that the work ethic is not there? Who knows how many times his teammates have called him out within the club walls for not being prepared? We know that his captain came out last month to discuss it on SEN (link), and he was clearly frustrated. This is not something your captain should be doing in your ninth season after 150+ games. That's first- and second-year player stuff.

Either way, I think the situation was serious enough that they felt the need to shop him around so publicly and make a statement like this. There's no doubt that we got fleeced on the trade. However, that's not the point. Unlike the Dogs, who are dithering over what they're going to get back for a guy they want gone (Stringer), Goodwin wanted Watts gone, and it happened.

The message to the rest of this playing group is now loud and clear. Prepare yourselves to get 100% out of your body, or you'll be shipped out quick smart.

Edit: spacing

Last edited:
So so many melts for no reason.

1. Jack watts is one of the worst players in the AFL at putting on forward pressure, which is the plan used by the last 2 premiers to win the flag. 3 lovely inside 50s are useless when you allow overlaps to occur constantly and hurt your team mates.

He is a key forward who relies on space and speed, something 27 year Olds quickly lose the ability to find. He could be retired by 30.

Yeah we got a little unders for him and lever for overs but that won't mean clubs bend us over. It means more managers will tell their players to pick us because deals get done without the stress an chance of it collapsing.

Sam Lloyd played reserves at Richmond while Jacob Townsend became a premiership player, certainly wasn't due to his talent.
Vandenberg and Tmac will not only compete but they will turn the ball over deep which is the best way to score in modern footy. Tigers weren't hitting riewoldt lace out they were bombing it in bringing it to ground and then fighting an scrapping something Jack will never do in his career. Thanks for some beautiful kicks but you will never help someone to a premiership

Also who knows the draft. If we identified 4 kids inside 50 we like then we don't need 25 instead of 31 if we are confident they are still available

I'm finding it hard to work out how I feel about this. I'm a bit sad about it, but I don't think it's a sadness due to me thinking it's the wrong decision (although pick 31 does feel like they're taking the piss). I think it's just a sadness that after all this time, the club and Jack couldn't make it work and it ended like this. I guess Jack was an emblem of everything that's gone wrong at this club over the past decade, and as such we all had a little bit more emotional investment in his success or otherwise.

It might have been cathartic for all involved to see him run out in the red and blue in a finals series, but time to accept that's not going to happen.

I just hope it plays out as a win-win for us and for him. Will have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back