Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Have not seen a thread on this bloke yet.

Has been played out of position for close to 18 months and now playing VFL.

Surely he is gone next season?

Like Caleb Daniel, they both love the club, but unfortunately the game plan has changed at the dogs and players like them need to find a way to work themselves back in the side, or seek a trade. I think maybe dropping a few kgs might help them find some pace. Many of the older group have built big bodies to be competitive in the contest.

Not saying it’s an unreasonable thread given he’s not playing inside midfield minutes but he’s played 1 VFL game and 16 AFL games this year. It was a bit strange that he was “rested” this last week after only being the sub the week before.

Not saying it’s an unreasonable thread given he’s not playing inside midfield minutes but he’s played 1 VFL game and 16 AFL games this year. It was a bit strange that he was “rested” this last week after only being the sub the week before.

Do you think he comes back in the team?

Like Caleb Daniel, they both love the club, but unfortunately the game plan has changed at the dogs and players like them need to find a way to work themselves back in the side, or seek a trade. I think maybe dropping a few kgs might help them find some pace. Many of the older group have built big bodies to be competitive in the contest.

So 10% of your cap goes to depth players? You would happily trade them for a reasonable level KP defender if one was available.

So 10% of your cap goes to depth players? You would happily trade them for a reasonable level KP defender if one was available.
It's been only 1 season. Sometimes older senior players can have a really poor season and bounce back. Macrae has had pretty much no preseason so if he can his body ready over the year he can get back into the side.

Is Macrae good enough anymore to be a primary midfielder at another club besides a rebuilding one? I don’t think Bevo has done him dirty at all - if Baz wasn’t injured this season, Macrae would be the sixth midfielder in line for CBAs at the Dogs (which means due to his lack of versatility, he wouldn’t be in the side).

Might be an affordable boost for midfield depth for a team that thinks their window is still ajar - Melbourne come to mind. Giants might be interested in a mature age replacement for Ward?

Macrae would be perfect for a side with available speedy mids but requiring an inside extractor. He still has a role to play at AFL level. Simply can’t be in the same side as Libba though.

Like Caleb Daniel his biggest issue is lack of penetration. Whether it’s leg speed or kicking distance he just can’t seem to break the lines. The very opposite of Ed Richards who has plenty of both and has become first choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think pace is the key. A side looking for someone to win ball and get it to their faster players he would be a good fit. We're kind of the opposite, in that we had plenty of ball winners and not enough pace. Not that I think they need him, but as an example he'd probably fit into a Port midfield quite well as a bigger body to help Butters and Rozee. They have Wines doing that already though.
Ultimately our long time trio of Bont, Libba and Macrae all became a little one-paced. Treloar and now Richards becoming regulars has made things a little more dynamic in there for us.

There's sides he'd fit in well with but they'd need the right mix.
All that said, no dogs fan will take any pleasure in seeing Jack move on if he does. he's bee amazing for us, but if he needs to do it to prolong his career I hope he thrives

Is Macrae good enough anymore to be a primary midfielder at another club besides a rebuilding one? I don’t think Bevo has done him dirty at all - if Baz wasn’t injured this season, Macrae would be the sixth midfielder in line for CBAs at the Dogs (which means due to his lack of versatility, he wouldn’t be in the side).

Might be an affordable boost for midfield depth for a team that thinks their window is still ajar - Melbourne come to mind. Giants might be interested in a mature age replacement for Ward?
Absolutely he is.

Just can't play alongside Liberatore, they're too similar.

I think pace is the key. A side looking for someone to win ball and get it to their faster players he would be a good fit. We're kind of the opposite, in that we had plenty of ball winners and not enough pace. Not that I think they need him, but as an example he'd probably fit into a Port midfield quite well as a bigger body to help Butters and Rozee. They have Wines doing that already though.
Ultimately our long time trio of Bont, Libba and Macrae all became a little one-paced. Treloar and now Richards becoming regulars has made things a little more dynamic in there for us.

There's sides he'd fit in well with but they'd need the right mix.
All that said, no dogs fan will take any pleasure in seeing Jack move on if he does. he's bee amazing for us, but if he needs to do it to prolong his career I hope he thrives

Would be a good fit for the Saints.

Steel needs some more support inside.

Personally think he's past it as seems to be running on a treadmill out there, reminds me a bit of Gaff the last year or two. Then again you only get one career so think it's worth him trying to leave but just can't think of who would want him, Geelong maybe?

He would be alright to replace a couple of our retirements but we would be doing them a favour re the contract. It would be like p80 ish for a trade for him.

He would be alright to replace a couple of our retirements but we would be doing them a favour re the contract. It would be like p80 ish for a trade for him.

Haha we don’t need anyone to do us that “favour”. He’d immediately be Geelong’s best inside mid, given how Dangerfield is going now.

Would make sense at Saints with Crouch potentially done. Salary will play a part in how high the pick is but we don’t need to salary dump a good player for an unusable draft pick. That’s laughable.

I wouldn't take pick 80 for him. We don't need to get rid of him. Libba has a year left and Jacko can rotate with him
But if you were McRae, I wouldn't think he wants to be a player that gets rotated threw the 2s then also play some 1s games.. 99% of players will want to play 1s every time at that age what he is...

But if you were McRae, I wouldn't think he wants to be a player that gets rotated threw the 2s then also play some 1s games.. 99% of players will want to play 1s every time at that age what he is...
Maybe not.

But he’s contracted so at the end of the day what the club wants comes before what he wants. We aren’t trading him for nothing. I’d think a pick 30 if the club acquiring him takes on his contract is right. If they’re not prepared to take on the full contract it’ll be more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back