Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not.

But he’s contracted so at the end of the day what the club wants comes before what he wants. We aren’t trading him for nothing. I’d think a pick 30 if the club acquiring him takes on his contract is right. If they’re not prepared to take on the full contract it’ll be more.
And thats what iv posted earlier? I asked the question. What pick does Bulldogs supporters thinking his worth? You said a pick in the 30s..
The word is his on 700-800 a season.. is contracted till 2027...
Hmmmm it's interesting to see what people views are?

And thats what iv posted earlier? I asked the question. What pick does Bulldogs supporters thinking his worth? You said a pick in the 30s..
The word is his on 700-800 a season.. is contracted till 2027...
Hmmmm it's interesting to see what people views are?
We dont need to get rid of him. We aren't under cap pressure so unless someone offers up something decent then there's no point. He got 43 in the 2s yesterday. Do you think a token pick 80 is going to give the same output? If it becomes an issue at the end of next year and we target a big fish (Callaghan or Butters) then of course we can offload him

We dont need to get rid of him. We aren't under cap pressure so unless someone offers up something decent then there's no point. He got 43 in the 2s yesterday. Do you think a token pick 80 is going to give the same output? If it becomes an issue at the end of next year and we target a big fish (Callaghan or Butters) then of course we can offload him
Did I say his worth a pick in the 80s? No

I honestly think if you take on that contract his on, I'd say a late 2nd round or maybe a early 3rd round pick would do the job.... And he is in his 30s as well

Last edited:
With Smith 100% going and Daniel probably going I don’t think we need to throw Macrae out the door to clear some cap space.

Considering that I think we are out of the barrass equation (nor will we land a big fish) I’d presume we would lean towards retain unless the pick is pretty good, rather than a salary dump to land a big acquisition.

Did I say his worth a pick in the 80s? No

I honestly think if you take on that contract his on, I'd say a late 2nd round or maybe a early 3rd round pick would do the job.... And he is in his 30s as well
Technically you're correct, but he literally just turned 30 today. There is absolutely no reason to think he won't see out his contract.

Also Macrea's contract was front loaded. Although he signed for 750 per year over 5 years, it will see him earn roughly $1M in 2023 and 2024 before going down to 750k in 2025, then going down again in his final two years to around 500k. He deffinetly isn't on money that will force the club to push him out and would only be let go if he demands it and the return was suitable otherwise he will be held onto.

Haha we don’t need anyone to do us that “favour”. He’d immediately be Geelong’s best inside mid, given how Dangerfield is going now.

Would make sense at Saints with Crouch potentially done. Salary will play a part in how high the pick is but we don’t need to salary dump a good player for an unusable draft pick. That’s laughable.

Hes on at least 500k a year and hes barely getting games. Its a salary dump if he goes for sure. If you want say a 2nd rounder you will be keeping him (on his contract in the vfl) because no one will pay that.

And he wouldnt be geelongs best midfielder.

Also Macrea's contract was front loaded. Although he signed for 750 per year over 5 years, it will see him earn roughly $1M in 2023 and 2024 before going down to 750k in 2025, then going down again in his final two years to around 500k. He deffinetly isn't on money that will force the club to push him out and would only be let go if he demands it and the return was suitable otherwise he will be held onto.
Good then we agree a trade is not possible and he will be staying.

Hes on at least 500k a year and hes barely getting games. Its a salary dump if he goes for sure. If you want say a 2nd rounder you will be keeping him (on his contract in the vfl) because no one will pay that.

You know he’s played two VFL games all season right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good then we agree a trade is not possible and he will be staying.
Whilst I believe he is likely to stay, I wouldn't rule out Saints making a play for him.
500k is also average wage and will be below average in a year so hardly a concern if he were to become depth, I'd definitely prefer him replacing a Midfielder come finals then a 19 year old.

You know he’s played two VFL games all season right?

Says the club that 'managed' him after he played 1/4 the week before. And hes turning 30. If he stays its pretty obvious where he will sit regarding your b22.

Barely getting games? He’s played 16 games this year after 22 last year. What are you on about?

I said he’d be your best inside mid. Who are you even putting up against him in that conversation? Tanner Bruhn?

C’mon man.

Says the club that 'managed' him after he played 1/4 the week before. And hes turning 30. If he stays it’s pretty obvious where he will sit regarding your b22.
So? How many VFL games has he played?

You can’t say he’s barely played and then use 2 VFL games and a managed as the backing to your point. Just admit you got it wrong.

Is he clear cut best 22 next year for us? Probably not, but we aren’t going to struggle salary cap wise, and ultimately he’s contracted. If he plays 15-20 games a year for us, then he’s a valuable player and there will need to be something of value coming our way to trade him.

Been a sharp decline for a number of years now

Disposal averages
2021: 33.9
2022: 30.7
2023: 25.3
2024: 18.9

Bulldogs would do well to get him off there books And use the funds on an area of need

Been a sharp decline for a number of years now

Disposal averages
2021: 33.9
2022: 30.7
2023: 25.3
2024: 18.9

Bulldogs would do well to get him off there books And use the funds on an area of need
Not a decline in performance, just an adjustment in position. He’s certainly capable of being the accumulator but it just doesn’t cater to the game plan we’ve moved to over the last 18 months.

There’s no reason why a team couldn’t find him as handy as Collingwood have with Tom Mitchell.

Macrare would be our best midfielder as of the start of next season.
I know he's looked very ordinary this season but he isn't the sole extractor any longer at the Dogs. At 30 years of age, he has two solid years of footy left in him.
Guthrie and Tuohy are effectively finished. Along with veterans Hawkins and Stanley.

Duncan, Blicavs and Dangerfield will go around one more year. We could actually do with another mature body on the inside to help take the burden away from Bruhn, Holmes, Clark & Knevitt.

Not a decline in performance, just an adjustment in position. He’s certainly capable of being the accumulator but it just doesn’t cater to the game plan we’ve moved to over the last 18 months.

There’s no reason why a team couldn’t find him as handy as Collingwood have with Tom Mitchell.
Agree with all that. He's still a very good player and talk of his decline is a bit exaggerated IMO. Just playing a different role now.

He would certainly fill a need for us for 2-3 years. Dogs will be very open to moving him on given his current contract, but that is likely to scare off a few clubs.

Clearly Smith is our number one priority and it's looking likely he might be Geelong bound. We will have the money with all our pending retirements, but it's a big contract and we won't be willing to trade a high pick for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back