Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how you don't hear a peep out of the man himself, complete professional and legend of the club.
Gives the impression that he's pretty happy, and settled, at the Dogs. At this stage of his career he's probably comfortable playing the role he's given. If the club wants him, he'll stay, IMO.

He's had plenty of offers from rival clubs over the years, particularly from Sydney. Never thought about leaving.

Not the biggest ego in the world, Jacko.

Gives the impression that he's pretty happy, and settled, at the Dogs. At this stage of his career he's probably comfortable playing the role he's given. If the club wants him, he'll stay, IMO.

He's had plenty of offers from rival clubs over the years, particularly from Sydney. Never thought about leaving.

Don't mistake being quite with not having a big ego. He's insanely competitive in everything he does and generally thinks hes the best at it.

Don't mistake being quite with not having a big ego. He's insanely competitive in everything he does and generally thinks hes the best at it.
Yeah, he's a competitor alright. All players at this level need strong self belief, and he has it in spades, but that's not what I mean here.

He's part of the fabric of the club, and has always been a terrific team man who doesn't need to be in the spotlight all the time. He's demonstrated that in many ways over the years.

I'm sure his self belief, incredible consistency and will to win have inspired his teammates over the years.

I would be shocked if the club wants to trade him.

If, on the other hand, he did want to go, then that's another story.

Last edited:
Salary dump coming up. You don't pay a bloke on his salary to play VFL. That contract is turning into a disaster for a guy who clearly isn't automatic best 22.
He isnt on an exuberant salary. Has one more year at 750 and then goes down to average wage for his last two (probably slightly below average with the wage increases).

He isnt on an exuberant salary. Has one more year at 750 and then goes down to average wage for his last two (probably slightly below average with the wage increases).
Yeah okay. I still think you will want to move a contracted player for three more years at his age if he isn't seen as best 22. He's fast becoming depth (which will only get worse) as he gets older and other players around him develop.

Being 30 and getting left out of your 22 does not bode well for your future. I'd be shocked if he didn't seek a trade and the Dogs won't stand in his way IMO.

He clearly loves the club but I am sure he loves playing senior footy more.

Yeah okay. I still think you will want to move a contracted player for three more years at his age if he isn't seen as best 22. He's fast becoming depth (which will only get worse) as he gets older and other players around him develop.

Being 30 and getting left out of your 22 does not bode well for your future. I'd be shocked if he didn't seek a trade and the Dogs won't stand in his way IMO.

He clearly loves the club but I am sure he loves playing senior footy more.
The club definitely don't want to lose him but he may seek a trade.
I agree the dogs shouldn't stand in his way, but at the same time this will only be the third time he has played VFL this season and we have a very healthy list. He is in that 18-25 range and if we move him on and see a decline in Libba and or Treloar we will be left with only kids to fill the void. Melbourne moving on alot of their depth should be a cautionary tale.

3 weeks in the VFL
2 games as the sub in the AFL.

Clearly fringe of the 22 at best. Would still be a walk up starter in most teams best 18.

Think he’ll be out. Will want to play firsts and dogs wouldn’t be angry to get his salary off the books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel has played 12 games this year (sub for 6 of them) and Macrae 16 (sub for 2). I think we move on Daniel (preferably) or Macrae, not both.

Without a preseason injury (like this year) he's then got a clear best 22 role available as a HF/mid rotation and will no doubt get inside mid minutes at times with Libba and Treloar a year older

Daniel has played 12 games this year (sub for 6 of them) and Macrae 16 (sub for 2). I think we move on Daniel (preferably) or Macrae, not both.

Without a preseason injury (like this year) he's then got a clear best 22 role available as a HF/mid rotation and will no doubt get inside mid minutes at times with Libba and Treloar a year older

The issue is i think some clubs would trade for macrae whereas i doubt anyone trades for daniel.

I dunno. He's an accumulator being pushed out of accumulator roles.

Someone earlier in the thread compared him to the Tom Mitchell trade for Collingwood which is probably reasonable. Collingwood got maybe 18 to 20 good games out of him, Hawthorn got 2x 3rd rounders and a fringe mid who hasn't and probably won't play a game for them.

Even if the contract is reasonable for dollars it's still years in which he has been declining in output for whatever reason.

Macrae & Daniel are just victim of the Dogs change in game plan to focus on speed outside the contest.

Unfortunately there’s just no room inside the contest for him.

Playing the role he's given? What role is that exactly at AFL level?

Slicing up the oranges with an occasional sub vest if the injuries are piling up.

Bulldogs should salary dump and use the money on an area of need. They are in the flag window
Our areas of need aren’t really readily available unfortunately. What pressure small forward or small defender is available for the $750k we’re paying Jack?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back