Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel has played 12 games this year (sub for 6 of them) and Macrae 16 (sub for 2). I think we move on Daniel (preferably) or Macrae, not both.

Without a preseason injury (like this year) he's then got a clear best 22 role available as a HF/mid rotation and will no doubt get inside mid minutes at times with Libba and Treloar a year older
Daniel was very good a few years back what's gone wrong with him.

You could have drafted Mannagh. Stick a failed mid as a small defender. Those are some of the easiest roles to fill
Yeah I believe we actually wanted Mannagh, but we didn't have a pick between our picks 15 and 45 (where we drafted Joel Freijah). Mannagh was obviously drafted at 36.

But largely I agree, the holes we have won't be difficult to fill.

I like the idea of North going after Macrae.
A senior AFL player to help guide the kids on and off field through the next 3 to 4 years. Not sure if he'd be interested in playing that role or if his trade value would prevent us from going down that path.
It's not too dissimilar to Melbourne going after Jordan Lewis, Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross that helped with their rebuild. Would be a good fit for North.

It's not too dissimilar to Melbourne going after Jordan Lewis, Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross that helped with their rebuild. Would be a good fit for North.
Agreed, but I'm not convinced he's all that keen to leave, to be honest.

I'd think he would need to be pushed out rather than leave of his own accord.

I like the idea of North going after Macrae.
A senior AFL player to help guide the kids on and off field through the next 3 to 4 years. Not sure if he'd be interested in playing that role or if his trade value would prevent us from going down that path.
Would be a good fit. Same with Daniel with his disposal. 1 might leave. I feel Macrae might be the 1 to do so first unless Daniel wants to return to Adelaide. He currently lives with Bailey Williams and they have been together from the beginning almost.

Saints watching him in VFL today. I’d feel yuck seeing him in that jumper but he would immediately slot into the starting rotation as one of their best.

Saints watching him in VFL today. I’d feel yuck seeing him in that jumper but he would immediately slot into the starting rotation as one of their best.
Interesting - who was it/how did you know we were watching him.

I think he'd be a good option to slot into our poor midfield, especially with Crouch and Ross probably at the end.

If we pay his salary you need to give us a pick for doing so. I believe the going rate for a $700k VFL player is pick 7. I’m not greedy. Anything under pick 15 is fine. Though once we get Macrae to commit to us that becomes top 10
Actually, we set the terms of the deal because he's contracted. If Carlton are interested in acquiring him, they can pay for him adequately.

We aren't exactly struggling for salary.

Seems to be a bit out of favour at the dogs, just turned 30
What is his value?
Where could he go?
Clubs looking for an experienced Inside big bodied midfielder?
(Saints, bombers, pies, kangas?)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he could be part of the Bailey Smith deal. Mcrae and Bailey Smith to geelong for nothing.

This is why the Cats are not after Macrae, we don't pay overs for contracted players.
I don't think if he requested a trade we'd make it difficult for him but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a decent second round pick for him at the least. Whether that's overs or not, isn't really for me to decide I guess.

I don't think if he requested a trade we'd make it difficult for him but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a decent second round pick for him at the least. Whether that's overs or not, isn't really for me to decide I guess.
I wouldn’t have thought a second round pick would be unreasonable to the right team as long as he passed due diligence checks

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back