Player Watch Jackson Ramsay (Delisted 2017)

Will he or won't he?

• Yes

Votes: 106 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 29.7%
  • Maybe at another club

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We were all really bullish on this board and the club must have been too, as they brought him straight back into the seniors in Round 1 after the knee injury and despite him playing ordinarily, they continued to select him for the first 5 games. Then at the end of that season, where he not surprisingly struggled coming back from a knee injury, they cut him. It was the most perplexing management of a player that I can remember as a Pie supporter.

He was a poor rebounder and a mediocre lock down defender, combined with being a poor kick. He wasn't going to make it with us. Hope for his sake he can get a chance as a midfielder but I don't see it, maybe a rookie spot for GC or something.

He was a poor rebounder and a mediocre lock down defender, combined with being a poor kick. He wasn't going to make it with us. Hope for his sake he can get a chance as a midfielder but I don't see it, maybe a rookie spot for GC or something.

I didn't see enough of him to make a call either way, but were you saying that before he did his knee? If you were, you were pretty much alone in that thinking.

He was a sub 10 game youngster who got rushed back in to the team after a season out with a knee injury and then looked ordinary - the only thing surprising about it was that he was rushed back into the team and then cut at the end of the season.

I didn't see enough of him to make a call either way, but were you saying that before he did his knee? If you were, you were pretty much alone in that thinking.

He was a sub 10 game youngster who got rushed back in to the team after a season out with a knee injury and then looked ordinary - the only thing surprising about it was that he was rushed back into the team and then cut at the end of the season.

He looked ordinary before his knee. Watched a bit of him in the VFL and was not impressive, turned the ball over a lot and lost his man defensively, wasn't surprised when he was cut.

Must of fell off a Cliff with his Form then with us De-Listing Him
It was one of our more curious player management moves Dave. There weren’t a lot of people who thought he deserved to be treated so ruthlessly in a year where he was coming off an ACL given he was still very young and had shown some real promise pre-injury.

It was one of our more curious player management moves Dave. There weren’t a lot of people who thought he deserved to be treated so ruthlessly in a year where he was coming off an ACL given he was still very young and had shown some real promise pre-injury.
Gee imagine what he must think seeing broomhead still on the list

Point of interest Ramsay was the player we took instead of nominating Stewart.

No big loss there. Membrey is probably the only player after our picks that I'd regret not taking.

In hindsight it's a little jarring see just how bad that 2012 draft crop was.

No big loss there. Membrey is probably the only player after our picks that I'd regret not taking.

It's hard to find anyone after Grundy let alone Ramsay, falls off a cliff after the million dollar man, have to say we nailed it really.

It was an exceptionally poor draft for what it has delivered. Kennedy and Broomhead seemed fairly insipid choices at the time, but in retrospect, they didn't have much competition for their draft spots.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were all really bullish on this board and the club must have been too, as they brought him straight back into the seniors in Round 1 after the knee injury and despite him playing ordinarily, they continued to select him for the first 5 games. Then at the end of that season, where he not surprisingly struggled coming back from a knee injury, they cut him. It was the most perplexing management of a player that I can remember as a Pie supporter.

My take is that Ramsay was one of those "Kyle Martin" players: a guy who is a very talented - but is just missing that extra "step" to be able to keep up with the AFL game. In most cases I think a lot of it comes down to reaction times and ability/confidence to make, and execute, those split second decisions when surrounded by players. Go down a level to VFL/WAFL level when you have that extra 5-10% space and time and these guys become elite. Put them in the AFL and they struggle.

He got his chances at AFL level, and notwithstanding the knee injuries, although he had the "look" of an AFL player, what really stood out to me was the number of times would get caught HTB off half-back, or turn it over because of a poor decision/execution, in a position where you usually should have a bit more time and space, compared to say a midfielder.

I am very glad he has done so well for the Royals, and always listen out for his name on WAFL radio, and I hope he has done enough for another shot at AFL level - but I can absolutely understand why the club made that decision after 4 years on the list.

My take is that Ramsay was one of those "Kyle Martin" players: a guy who is a very talented - but is just missing that extra "step" to be able to keep up with the AFL game. In most cases I think a lot of it comes down to reaction times and ability/confidence to make, and execute, those split second decisions when surrounded by players. Go down a level to VFL/WAFL level when you have that extra 5-10% space and time and these guys become elite. Put them in the AFL and they struggle.

He got his chances at AFL level, and notwithstanding the knee injuries, although he had the "look" of an AFL player, what really stood out to me was the number of times would get caught HTB off half-back, or turn it over because of a poor decision/execution, in a position where you usually should have a bit more time and space, compared to say a midfielder.

I am very glad he has done so well for the Royals, and always listen out for his name on WAFL radio, and I hope he has done enough for another shot at AFL level - but I can absolutely understand why the club made that decision after 4 years on the list.

I would say he's the opposite of Martin. Martin was super talented but was lazy and didn't have the motivation to play at the elite level. Ramsay is a hard worker but lacked talent, couldn't lock down a forward and couldn't rebound the footy with his poor foot skills. He is better suited to the midfield but he was never going to crack our midfield

Yep, was a Buckley favorite when fit, as remember him being a key focal point at training, with a lot of sling shot drills being started with him. Ala Crisp now, and what they want to get from Noble no doubt. Club obv felt that the injury was severe / had inherent structural issues, which has been proven somewhat correct. Those numbers in first full season back are v impressive though. You’d have to say it was an error not to retain him as a rookie at least...

Clurey and Hunter both finished top 5 for memory in their clubs BnF, both very good players we would love to have.

Jacobs was a star before his injury issues.

Of course you can't get every draft pick perfect, just saying there was a few good players later on.
Clurey is a solid defender. I like him.

Yep, was a Buckley favorite when fit, as remember him being a key focal point at training, with a lot of sling shot drills being started with him. Ala Crisp now, and what they want to get from Noble no doubt. Club obv felt that the injury was severe / had inherent structural issues, which has been proven somewhat correct. Those numbers in first full season back are v impressive though. You’d have to say it was an error not to retain him as a rookie at least...

I really liked him pre knee. Showed dash and was definitely a player on the rise. Not at all surprised that he has been excellent at the level down and would not be surprised if he made it back at the top level. He already showed he could match it given time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jackson Ramsay (Delisted 2017)

Back