Jacob Gillbee

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jacob Gillbee (Lauderdale, TAS) - Pick 49 in the 2010 AFL National Draft.

Gillbeex.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102027/default.aspx

Height: 184cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 13/09/92
Club: Lauderdale (Tas)

Kevin Sheehan says: Lead-up forward with good hands and goalkicking ability. Provides good defensive pressure inside forward 50. Averaged four tackles a game and kicked seven goals for Tasmania in the NAB AFL U18s.

Stats (aggregate for 2010 U18s National Championships)
Games K H D M G
H/O
5 54 21 75 21 7 8

In his own words
What type of player are you?
Utility player who can play back and forward.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Dale Thomas because he plays in a similar position to me. He can also can go forward and take contested marks which I believe is one of my strengths.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Probably my marking, handballing and reading of the play.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
I'd like to become a better kick over 40m, become stronger on my left foot.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
I have followed Collingwood since I was born because my family support them as well.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My dad - he played so much football himself. He has been the one who has taught me the game, and he also coached me as a junior.

49_JacobGillbee.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 49
DOB 13.09.1992
HEIGHT 184
WEIGHT 76
FORMER CLUB Lauderdale (TAS)

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/jacob-gillbee/

Jacob Gilbee was taken by the GC SUNS with Pick 49 at the 2010 National Draft.

A clever utility with an uncanny ability to mark strongly under pressure, Jacob Gilbee joins fellow Tasmanians Maverick Weller and Luke Russell on the club’s inaugural playing list.

A tenacious and aggressive tackler, he also wins plenty of ball - he averaged nearly 19 disposals a game at this year’s Under 18 National Championships.

Gillbee, among NEAFL SUNS best.

TR170611LC%20360(1).jpg

There is a fair chance when you are browsing the best players for the SUNS NEAFL team, the name Jacob Gillbee is almost certain to be amongst them.

Drafted at pick 49 in the 2010 National Draft, coincidently his guernsey number at the SUNS also, Gillbee was outstanding at NEAFL level last year, culminating in receiving the SUNS NEAFL Player of the Year award.

Despite the setback of a broken hand, where Gillbee missed three weeks, his form was rewarded with an AFL debut in the final round against Hawthorn.

Starting as the substitute, Gillbee managed eight possessions and a goal when he was activated into the match.

Gillbee said his first year at the club was about conditioning himself to get used to the demands of AFL, and a debut was a bonus.

“(I was) just trying to build my body up to play at AFL level, and I was lucky enough to play the last game of the year,” he said.

“The intensity around the footy and the pace is a massive step up from the NEAFL level,” he said.

In a sign that Gillbee is a big part of the SUNS future, Gillbee and the club agreed to a two year extension to his contract at the end of the 2011 season.

Gillbee was wrapped to remain with the SUNS, but didn’t want to rest on his laurels.

“It just gives you a fair amount of confidence that the club are happy with you, but obviously you can’t get complacent with that,” he said.

With an AFL debut and a contract extension in his first season, Gillbee says his second season is all about giving himself the best opportunity to build on his games tally, and the coaching staff have identified the areas he needs to work on.

“(I needed to) have a good pre-season and get the body in as best condition as I could, which I have done,” he said.

“Now it is just a matter of putting some strong games together at the NEAFL level.”

“(The coaching staff have said) to keep working on my pressure, and be clean with the footy and try and play at AFL intensity (are my main areas to focus on).”

Gillbee shares a house with teammates Steven May, Tom Lynch and Daniel Gorringe, and by the sounds of things there is plenty of competition at home amongst the boys.

“Everything we do at home is competitive, no matter what it is.”

Gillbee will be looking to continue both his own impressive form, and that of the team, as he lines up for the SUNS as they take on Labrador in the NEAFL on Saturday at 1:30pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back