We got our boy :thumbsu:

076277-jaeger-o-039-meara.jpg

JAEGER O'MEARA

D.O.B: 23/02/1994
Height: 182cm
Weight: 75kg
WAFL club: Perth

THE RUNDOWN:

The Dongara teenager has been touted as the next David Swallow - and for good reason.

WA 18’s best all-rounder has already turned high-profile recruiters in AFL circles, with Fremantle and Greater Western Sydney both reportedly fighting over his future services.

GWS’ draft concessions allow them to select four players nationwide that are 17 this year, who turn 18 in the first four months of next year, then on-trade to other clubs.

O’Meara, 17, is top of WA’s most wanted list. O’Meara is a dynamic midfielder who gained All-Australian selection as a 15-year-old and then was added to the AFL Academy after strong performances at last year’s under-16 national championship.

The Perth colt tested superbly during the recent academy camp. His 2.8sec. over 20m would have placed him third at last year’s AFL Draft Combine. He also showcased his endurance by reaching level 14.3 in the beep test.

To wrap it up – he is technically sound on both feet, can play anywhere in the midfield and is a solid overhead mark for his size.

That spoon in your debut season is starting to not look so bad.

Congrats on O'Meara, wish we could have had him.

Also jealous on how you guys have all the WA talent!!!

Congratulations to the Suns...Jaeger is an absolute jet and when you have him Swallow and Ablett running through the midfield in 2 years roving to Zac Smith it will be scary to say the least for us other clubs

Not having a go at the NEAFL or anything, but would there be any thought from Gold Coast to keep him in Perth next year, where he will no doubtly play 22 games in a stronger competition

On the other hand, having him around the club training would be usefull too

Don't really think it's having a go at all. The WAFL is by far the better comp, IMO. NEAFL still developing.

But no. Jaeger is already on his way to the Coast from what I understand. He'll go over to Arizona with the team and get a whole pre-season into him, followed by a season in the Suns Reserves. Or so the Coaches at GC have said. Probably good for him to be around the team immediately, too. Build up some friendships and contacts.

Think of Swallow. He was here a year before he got drafted. While the VFL and NEAFL are different in terms of ability, O'Meara would still benefit from being up on the coast experiencing our lifestyles, as well as forming relationships with the players and coaches.

Unless he has to finish off some schooling, which I don't think he does, moving to the Gold Coast early will be the right decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems that Jag is happy to be a Sun! Article about in on the AFL site here.

TEEN sensation Jaeger O'Meara could not be happier.

Aside from staying in his home state of Western Australia, the 17-year-old prodigy - who will play for Gold Coast in 2013 - said the club he wanted to play for most was the Suns.

Speaking to AFL.com.au, O'Meara said he was excited when he found out the Suns would select him.

"If I didn't get to stay in WA I was hoping I would go to the Gold Coast so I'm definitely very excited," O'Meara said.

"They were in my top three preferences so I'm very grateful to be able to go there. Obviously they're a very good club and I've only heard good things about them

"They're also heading in the right direction, they've got a number of outstanding young players and also they've got the older more experienced guys like Gary Ablett, Michael Rischitelli and Nathan Bock as well. I'm looking forward to being part of it and having some success in the future."

"I'm a down-to-earth kind of guy who likes to hang out with his mates. I enjoy a bit of fashion as well so I think that suits Gold Coast pretty well so I'm looking forward to heading over there," he said.

Really mature kid. Exciting times!

Not if you are about 13 years old . . .haha

haha, well we are putting Jaeger on "Lay-by" may as well add her too :D

Jokes aside, seriously looking forward to checking the kid play next year in the NEAFL. They should try to organise as many Gold Coast reserves games as curtain raisers and hopefully I don't miss too many games with my own footy committments.

haha, well we are putting Jaeger on "Lay-by" may as well add her too :D

Jokes aside, seriously looking forward to checking the kid play next year in the NEAFL. They should try to organise as many Gold Coast reserves games as curtain raisers and hopefully I don't miss too many games with my own footy committments.

You could just commit to playing for the Suns NEAFL team :)

Should be a good shot at premiers next season, especially if they don't throw their finals game due to commitment to their Thailand end of season trip :thumbsu:

Jaeger for NEAFL Best and fairest ;)

Minimal game time for the JaegerBomb in 2012

GOLD Coast will wrap prized WA junior Jaeger O'Meara in cotton wool next year ahead of his highly-anticipated AFL debut in 2013.

Suns coach Guy McKenna said the club had already decided that O'Meara would only play a minimal number of matches for the Gold Coast reserves team, which plays in the new North East Australian Football League.

I guess Bluey's comments seem to make sense. But I hope he can still play ~10 games, just to keep his hunger there. JOM is a VERY skinny boy though. Cannot blame Bluey for wanting to bulk him up a little before the AFL run.

Can one guy do conditioning work all year? His pre-season will be 15 months long! It'll be like the Hulk coming out to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back