Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He shouldn't.
He was coaching, got suspended had another crack at coaching proved to be no good at it even with the most experienced set of assistant coaches any coach had ever had provided to a coach and still there are Essendon people calling for him to have a third crack at it

What Robbo doesn't seem to understand is that A) Whether James Hird got railroaded by the supplements scandal and B) Whether James Hird should coach Essendon in 2023, are two extremely different questions.

But Robbo isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so just in case his sources are bigfooty (and I wouldn't be surprised if they were) let me explain now:

I don't remember the ins and outs of the supplements scandal. But even if Hird was entirely at fault, he was punished and he served his time, so we move on. It serves no purpose to re-litigate the question now through Essendon's staffing decisions. If Hird was completely shafted that's a great shame, but it STILL serves no purpose to re-litigate the question now through Essendon's staffing decisions. If Robbo wants to vindicate Hird he should write a book about it, and leave Essendon's staffing decisions to what's actually best for Essendon's football program.

The fact is that even if Hird was potentially the greatest coach of all time, Essendon are the most factionalised club in the league coming off two decades of internal warfare and failure. It is impossible to see any coach succeeding while the factionalisation continues - that coach will be continuously white-anted, and will be undermined when they face inevitable tough times. So Job 1 is to end the factionalisation. And appointing the most divisive figure in Essendon history is not the way to do that.

Appointing James Hird coach would not vindicate him, Robbo, even if he was blameless in the supplements scandal. It would merely put off Essendon's recovery for another X years, until after Hird was inevitably sacked when the other faction wrested back control.

And that is all assuming that James Hird is a GREAT coach. In reality, his record is mediocre and he is a complete has-been in the world of AFL. If you want a tried and true coach, get Ross Lyon. And get rid ENTIRELY of the faction that is pushing for relics of the 1990s to be the answer for what ails the club. They are a cancer.

I can't believe that all that needs to be explained to the Chief Football Writer of a major media entity. And the way he acts like a petulant child every time anyone points out his transparent lobbying (like his hilariously juvenile response to Caroline Wilson on 3AW on Friday night. I strongly recommend you track down both that excerpt and Caro's response on Saturday) would be incredibly embarrassing to his employers if the HSun had any standards whatsoever.

Hear it here

Don't think his previous stint means he couldn't be a better coach this time around. But what would the effect be on the man himself? Maybe he might feel he'd be happier carving out a niche away from the spotlight. Turds like Robbo who need someone to pat their head after a few bad Essendon losses will force him to make statements for what is probably a non-event.

Melbourne now winning and challenging for flags. Essendon still hopelessly ####ed and in absolute no man's land on and off the field.
That’s a bit of an overreaction.. I’m optimisitic about the (large) group of young players on our list. We beat Sydney this year and nearly knocked off the Pies. Everything off the field is ok except for the coaching situation.

They could make a lot of money via the publicity/drama and also from fan memberships

Might be a better angle than aiming for an unguaranteed premiership with x coach

Players have injections at all clubs on a consistent basis. At the time he believed them to be ok, to this day he stands by it. Again let’s not make him sound like some type of monster.
Don't be so bloody naive.
Explain to me why all of the Essendon players, without exception neglected to fill in their routine ASADA forms correctly, remembering to mention medications such as paracetamol, but all, to a man forgetting to document that they were being injected to the eyeballs, often secretly off site, with substances known or unknown?
Jobe Watson and other players standard response to that question was "I can't explain that"

I can explain it, quite easily. They knew perfectly well they were drug cheating. So did James. They tried to hide it by all agreeing to tell bare faced lies. If it happened today they'd all be banned for 4 years.

Just shows what an incompetent organisation Essendon really are if they get hird as coach. I some how think Sheedy is the cause of all this unrest. Essendon need to throw the board out and do a complete overview and clean out of the club

I agree. I think people are being railroaded with the "Hird coach zgain" discussion and missing the key issue with the club and that is how dysfunctional it is across all levels...the Board, management, football administration.

What happened this last week simply highlights how farked the club is.

Rattling on about Hird coaching again is simply a smoke screen.

And Sheedy is a cancer.

I agree. I think people are being railroaded with the "Hird coach zgain" discussion and missing the key issue with the club and that is how dysfunctional it is across all levels...the Board, management, football administration.

What happened this last week simply highlights how farked the club is.

Rattling on about Hird coaching again is simply a smoke screen.

And Sheedy is a cancer.
They won't be changing anything substantial while Sheedy is there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a bit of an overreaction.. I’m optimisitic about the (large) group of young players on our list. We beat Sydney this year and nearly knocked off the Pies. Everything off the field is ok except for the coaching situation.
In such good shape that the new fellow wants an External Review, and may sack the coach before it starts.
Jolly good show.

Don't be so bloody naive.
Explain to me why all of the Essendon players, without exception neglected to fill in their routine ASADA forms correctly, remembering to mention medications such as paracetamol, but all, to a man forgetting to document that they were being injected to the eyeballs, often secretly off site, with substances known or unknown?
Jobe Watson and other players standard response to that question was "I can't explain that"

I can explain it, quite easily. They knew perfectly well they were drug cheating. So did James. They tried to hide it by all agreeing to tell bare faced lies. If it happened today they'd all be banned for 4 years.
Plus no records kept of injected substances.

Does anyone believe there were no records? There were 100% records, it’s just they were destroyed as they showed the club was guilty as sin
Due to a late night phone call from Fat Andy, who did everything in his power to protect and save the club.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does anyone believe there were no records? There were 100% records, it’s just they were destroyed as they showed the club was guilty as sin
Of course there were records. Otherwise, how can the injectors keep track of who was injected with what and when. It is just that, the records were shredded. Thus the records were not kept, they were destroyed.

Hird definitely deserves a second chance, essendon were playing great football under him. Not sure he should coach essendon again with everything that happened, maybe another team? More than happy if he came to Richmond as an assistant if he dosent get a senior gig.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back