Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon fan waking up from a seven-year coma: “Have the Bombers won a final yet?”

Reporter: “Actually, no they haven’t. Also, James Hird has just been appointed as Essendon Head Coach again.”

XBPoUp1.gif

Last edited:
I’m on record in this thread saying perhaps the bombers need to appoint Hird in order to get him out of their system. However I do wonder how players may react when things get willing.

If Hird is trying to give messages of drive and resilience and says things like “don’t take the easy way out” or “you’ve got to be prepared to put in the hard yards” I can see some players thinking “Aren’t you the guy who doped up his team in order to get them to win?”. Some AFL players aren’t backwards in coming forwards and when pushed and questioned will push back - I just wonder what he would say to a player who gave voice to such a question.

Regards

S. Pete

Hope so rather him if it comes down to Yze and Lade

I heard Lade speak he's sounds boring as * dosen't have that charisma or commanding presence that the good coaches have will be like appointing another Rutten
Although I just read something that said Brad Scott was the 4th person being interviewed

The club making him go through the process gives me comfort that he won't be given the job because he's James Hird has to earn it.

Do you honestly think if he gets the job it will be because he's the best candidate?

Even if you exclude the drugs scandal (which you shouldn't), he was a coach with a mediocre record who hasn't coached in 7 years. There is zero chance he's the best candidate.

I’m on record in this thread saying perhaps the bombers need to appoint Hird in order to get him out of their system. However I do wonder how players may react when things get willing.

If Hird is trying to give messages of drive and resilience and says things like “don’t take the easy way out” or “you’ve got to be prepared to put in the hard yards” I can see some players thinking “Aren’t you the guy who doped up his team in order to get them to win?”. Some AFL players aren’t backwards in coming forwards and when pushed and questioned will push back - I just wonder what he would say to a player who gave voice to such a question.

Regards

S. Pete
Hirds biggest strength is building relationships and inspiring people gws players couldn't stop raving about him they loved him.

Not syaing we get Hird but thats kind of coach Essendon needs right now. Hird had the players playing for the jumper something Worsfold and Rutten failed to do.

Hirds biggest strength is building relationships and inspiring people gws players couldn't stop raving about him they loved him.

Not syaing we get Hird but the kind of coach Essendon needs right now.
His biggest strength was not keeping/destroying records of the drugs he had injected into his players.

That seven year gap on the cv would kill his chances with any other club but not for the faithful.

I struggle to understand contemplating gifting a job to a favourite son that hasn’t done the necessary work to warrant getting the job
Didn't stop them the first time. Its the gift that keeps on giving

Not syaing we get Hird but thats kind of coach Essendon needs right now. Hird had the players playing for the jumper something Worsfold and Rutten failed to do.

The same GWS that finished 3rd last?

Geewizz... have to admire his resilience, and gall, in applying for a head coaching position after the PED scandal he oversaw and tried to hide from the chief medic, and for which he kept no records, and after the second disastrous coaching stint. Even Jesus Christ hasn't yet dared a second coming after 2 millennia, and here is James after ... 8 years....

I am reminded of my recurring HERPES which rears its scaly head every so often reminding me of my reprobate past and Belinda the tightend at the female rugby side at St. Helen's all those years ago.

James Herpes Hird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t the weirdest part that Essendon INVITED a guy with an awful coaching record who hasn't coached in almost 10 years to interview.

What kind of process is this?

Pre-saga Hird I’d agree. Post saga you may still be right but I don’t see the alpha bulls in the GWS that I see at and that may land at Essendon.

If the panel are fairdinkum then I think that’s the scenario or even the straight out question they need to put to him because of he gets it he’s going to come into the job with this hanging over him. It won’t matter what media or those outside think about him - that’s just piss and wind - it’s the first to third year players who are yet to truly buy into the Essendon family that will have questions about their coaches ability to tough it out.

Of course, my opinion (and piss and wind) only.

Regards

S. Pete

Pre-saga Hird I’d agree. Post saga you may still be right but I don’t see the alpha bulls in the GWS that I see at and that may land at Essendon.

If the panel are fairdinkum then I think that’s the scenario or even the straight out question they need to put to him because of he gets it he’s going to come into the job with this hanging over him. It won’t matter what media or those outside think about him - that’s just piss and wind - it’s the first to third year players who are yet to truly buy into the Essendon family that will have questions about their coaches ability to tough it out.

Of course, my opinion (and piss and wind) only.

Regards

S. Pete
If Hird is appointed i can see a few gws players coming over

Imagine if the Crows sent the team on another camp by collective minds....

This is what signing up hird again is like....

Imagine you get Isaac rankine and then first thing is take him out in the woods, strip him naked and tie him to a tree.. that's basically what Essendon are doing

Geewizz... have to admire his resilience, and gall, in applying for a head coaching position after the PED scandal he oversaw and tried to hide from the chief medic, and for which he kept no records, and after the second disastrous coaching stint. Even Jesus Christ hasn't yet dared a second coming after 2 millennia, and here is James after ... 8 years....

I am reminded of my recurring HERPES which rears its scaly head every so often reminding me of my reprobate past and Belinda the tightend at the female rugby side at St. Helen's all those years ago.

James Herpes Hird.

Was Belinda your Sheela, Bhagwan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back