James Hird: Should Essendon honour his employment contract?

Should Essendon honour James Hird's employment contract?

• Yes

Votes: 37 11.6%
  • No

Votes: 272 85.5%
  • Give him one more chance

Votes: 9 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They signed a contract with him knowing exactly what the circumstances were. On what basis do they renege?

They shouldn't have extended his contract, obviously. But since they did, they should live with it.
If they werent smart enough to have clauses in this new contract for this sort of stuff then they deserve to pay him out. But they do have sever ties with him.

Don't under estimate Selwood, he got 25% of the cat's free kicks last night.

Give you a clue, he won the race to the ball .... unbelievable !! Stop making excuses for those second to the ball.

How would St James handle booing from fans across the country - aahhh, get Taanya to give them an ear full.

Interesting the amount of people saying someone should be sacked because of comments made by one's wife.

This is just one of many reasons why Hird needs to be booted from the game. The more Tania opens her mouth and speaks James' words, the more everyone who are just sick of this whole debacle want them to piss off.

Many wanted him gone well before this, it's just continual instances like this that makes opposition to him even stronger.

As badly as Essendon has handled this whole thing, Little is a smart man. I imagine the "contract" Essendon has with Hird is one that will have numerous "outs" should things take a turn for the worst and James brings the club into (further) disrepute during his suspension.

So much this. The extension is only really "stupid" if they didn't leave themselves with plenty of outs in case infractions came or whatever.

Last edited:
Interesting the amount of people saying someone should be sacked because of comments made by one's wife.
Interesting that you think people want him sacked because of comments made by Tanya Hird.
I would say that's at the bottom of the pile of all reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope.

Should have been stood down before he threw all others under the bus.

Should have been sacked from the very start.

Tania's comments today go against the grain of taking a year off, being silent and moving on.
He's been paid 1million dollars for a junket year, he shouldn't have got that either.

What annoys me is he thinks he has been hard done by when everyone has been way too lenient. He should have been sacked in the first place. He should be sacked now. He embarrasses the AFL. He embarrasses EFC. He says he cares about the club when he has made it painfully clear the club is not and has never been his first priority.

Under hird Essendon played some good footy at times but every year they had a massive build up of soft tissue injuries and every year they ran out of gas towards the business end of the season. If he was attempting to cheat he sure as hell didn't know what he was doing. 'i mean, do they give a nobel prize for attempted chemistry?'. I never want to hear wada asada or any of these made up technical rules again.

Essendon should have sided with the AFL all along and put a very simple ultimatum to Hird

- Take full responsibility for your actions or lack of actions and take the year suspended and follow the conditions of that suspenson
OR
- Be sacked

I don't think any decision can be made on Tania's comments. But 'having to defend her husband' implies that James still hasn't taken responsibility. Essendon need to get a firm assurance from him that he doesn't endorse Tania's comments. If he is forced to make a conflicting statement from his wife then so be it.

Right now Essendon have made the choice to have him back, but Tania's comments do make the situation less stable.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Hird: Should Essendon honour his employment contract?

Back