James Hird to coach Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange move for a club like Essendon I reckon. They've just proved that untried coaches rarely work. I really thought they'd go with experience. Don't misunderstand me, Hird was a gun player and may well succeed I just think they're taking a huge gamble.

P.S. Can't be worse than the previous one. Let's face it, his only expertise was in how to lose!

Find it amazing that he can come out every week on the Couch and anything else and say he has no interest and will not being doing it in the next few years and now is going to coach

Massive respect for Hird but can not believe a thing he says and all this and i now believe the rumours that he had the coaching job and then backed out last minute because of the Knights fiasco

Strange move for a club like Essendon I reckon. They've just proved that untried coaches rarely work. I really thought they'd go with experience. Don't misunderstand me, Hird was a gun player and may well succeed I just think they're taking a huge gamble.

P.S. Can't be worse than the previous one. Let's face it, his only expertise was in how to lose!

Except against Carlton;)

Really i think this Hird move is just to bring in memberships and support for the Club and real coach will be Dean or Choco

will fail
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

Except against Carlton;)

Really i think this Hird move is just to bring in memberships and support for the Club and real coach will be Dean or Choco
Well if that's true and frankly I don't believe a word of it, it's the worst mistake they could have made. Frankly I miss those epic battles on Anzac day and I hope they get their act together soon.

Tony Shaw mk III.

Considering the coaching talent on offer (Williams, Laidley, Roos[?]) I'm surprised they'd go for an untried favourite son.

Collingwood made Bucks do his apprenticeship, not that this is a certainty to work but it keeps him in the system for a few years before taking over. I'd be very surprised if this works unless Hird brings in some experienced assistants and is a very good delegator unlike the inept dictator up north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in a sport with over a hundred years history, Matthew Knights singlehandedly proved this to be true in three years? Fair effort.

Matthew Knights proved that he couldnt coach, thats about it.

isn't every coach an untried coach at one point?
I wish him all the best. One of my favourite all-time footballers.

Sweet. In the next few years, as North rise to powerhouse status, Essendon will be bumping along the bottom the ladder, a directionless rabble.

Hate to break it to you mate but your club wont be rising to any status at all. You will be petering out into non-existence.

Its comments like this that will make me enjoy watching the AFL refuse to bail you out again after you refused the relocation offer. :thumbsu:

I don't think that this is going to end well for the Bombers, a favorite son returning as coach isn't always the answer (see Peter Knights + Peter Schwab @ Hawthorn + Vossy @ Brisbane for example :p).

We had no money to pay for a top coach. Only ex hawks would do it for well under the going rate.

Both had at least one good finals series

Its a good move in my opinion. Knights had lost the respect of the players, something that Hird will have. One of the greatest players ever and will more than likely turn them around. But only time will tell.

It's going to be interesting seeing as he is taking over a fairly ordinairy list but hopefully people give him a chance to get everything together. Champion player.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Hird to coach Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back