James Hird to coach Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

And weren't they trolls?

Football clubs bring in really astute people to go through exhaustive processes hiring coaches in which candidates are assessed in great depth across a number of areas.

People on bigfooty look at a couple of characteristics and make up their mind purely on face value.

Knights wasn't the right person for the job in the end, but I'd take the employment rationale of the panel who picked him over that presented on bigfooty.

We've gone through a thorough process and it appears that James Hird's vision for the club is the one that three really intelligent people in Ian Robson, Scott Lucas and Paul Hamilton have decided to be the best. He's clearly addressed the doubts they had over him as a rookie coach.

They're the ones best placed to make the call, not some idiot on bigfooty who believes that all coaches should serve an apprenticeship.
That has an element of truth behind it, but don't discount the fact that Bigfooty also has some very astute and intelligent posters who are employed by clubs, or have sources inside clubs.

Knight's wasn't the right man for the job, we know that now, but quite a few did try to tell us all at the time, too.

As with the appointment of Buckley at Collingwood and Voss at Brisbane, I'll suggest this is purely a marketing decision. I just don't see any other reason why Essendon would appoint the untried Hird when they had such experience and such talent available to choose from in Laidley, Daniher, Richardson, Williams and Sumich. Even more bizarre is that he's been signed to a four-year contract. You'd have thought Essendon might have learned something after the Matthew Knights contract debacle.

yeh im quivering in my boots at the decision making skills of the Essendon board ... did u hear the one about the club that extended a coaches contract after a season ended and then proceeded to sack him before the extension even began LOL ..
Did you hear the one about the club who's only premiership coach in 20 years is trying to get out because they hate the President so much???

This will work. Hird listens and will take advise, Voss doesn't and won't.

Agree with. Hird isn't stupid, Voss over-rates himself and people over rate Voss, but not for much longer. Hird has far more chance than Voss.

I just wonder though whether Hird has balls to say go and get the recruiters sacked for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Momentous day no doubt. Memberships will skyrocket, players are already pumped up.

Whether it is a success is a big question to be answered.

SOME of the players. It's an open secret that the Essendon players were split by the events of 2010.

Bringing in the bloke who led the destabilisation aint going to change that. Just a different group of players behind the coach, and a different group not too pleased.

SOME of the players. It's an open secret that the Essendon players were split by the events of 2010.

Bringing in the bloke who led the destabilisation aint going to change that. Just a different group of players behind the coach, and a different group not too pleased.

Perhaps - given that the players most keen on this are the "senior" players, who were probably the ones who didn't perform that well or were fans of the way Knights went about making the tough decisions on the list and the game plan, you would think the younger players, who have come along quite well in the last 3 years, won't mind having the senior players working with them.

For me though, the hard work starts now. 13 unsigned players need to be either contracted, delisted, rookied or traded. Already the papers are suggesting that 5 players could be signed in the immediate term. Names like Stanton, Jetta, Houli, Myers and Davey are in that group.

Some players, who blossomed in recent years, might face big calls on them - Lonergan, Dyson, Atkinson, and the bloke he didn't mention in his press conference yesterday as part of the defence in Hooker. All could be in the gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Hird to coach Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back