MRP / Trib. James Kelly Cleared

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: James Kelly reported

Three weeks IMO, two with an early plea.

That's the ump I'm talking about, most laughable report this year.

If Varcoe gets cited it will be a complete "Travisty." :D

Re: James Kelly reported

Cleared. Deemed he was contesting and could not have known a free had been paid. No mention of Varcoe.

SEN.

Bateman got 3, Hawks are screwed. Mumford two with early plea?

Oh ok...it's just not up on their website, is all.

Gee Sydney will be stuffed without Mummy?

Was Varcoe cleared also?

Oh ok...it's just not up on their website, is all.

Gee Sydney will be stuffed without Mummy?

Was Varcoe cleared also?

They've still got Jesse White who can pinch hit in the ruck, as well as Goodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mummy should challenge. It was an aggressive tackle - nothing more.

Agree

I watched the replay on OWAAT last night-admittedly I was very tired and it was very late, but it looked fine to me.

The new rule, as I understood, was designed to outlaw spear tackles (much like in the NRL where if you send a guy down horizontally you get done) and such where there is a danger of serious head/neck injury. Just because a guy's face ends up in the turf doesn't consitute that. I'm all for the new rule protecting players but they need to interpret it properly-so once in the tackle Garry's legs were off the ground, the relative size/weight of the players involved, and simple gravity, dictated that he was going to end up with his head in the turf. If Mumford really desired to slam/spear tackle him it would have been much worse. So unless we're making a new rule that as soon as you pick someone up off the ground you're gone, then he should get off.

Agree

I watched the replay on OWAAT last night-admittedly I was very tired and it was very late, but it looked fine to me.

The new rule, as I understood, was designed to outlaw spear tackles (much like in the NRL where if you send a guy down horizontally you get done) and such where there is a danger of serious head/neck injury. Just because a guy's face ends up in the turf doesn't consitute that. I'm all for the new rule protecting players but they need to interpret it properly-so once in the tackle Garry's legs were off the ground, the relative size/weight of the players involved, and simple gravity, dictated that he was going to end up with his head in the turf. If Mumford really desired to slam/spear tackle him it would have been much worse. So unless we're making a new rule that as soon as you pick someone up off the ground you're gone, then he should get off.

Unfortunately he didn't get off, but did get a reduction to two weeks. Not really sure how that works since he could have gotten two weeks anyway just by pleading guilty! I agree though, it was fierce but fair. Hopefully he appeals. We have enough gray areas in the rules as it is, and this year the inconsistency is astonishing.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. James Kelly Cleared

Remove this Banner Ad

Back