News James McDonald signed as playing assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow:eek:. Big news:thumbsu:. With a few mature bodies GWS might actually be reasonably competitive next year (at least more so than GC in their first year). Obviously McDonald won't be expected to be a match winner but his presence will certainly have a positive impact on the younger members of the squad. Like the mix of young and old, the club is certainly going about recruiting the right way (even if it is a bit wrong at the same time). Exciting times ahead...

Great signing. melbourne were too harsh in getting rid of him. Sure, you do need to promote the youngsters, but you still need expierenced players in your side. His form in 2010 was very good by memory. Top stuff.

I always thought the Gold Coast went too young for the first year. Some great talent, but not enough mature bodies.

Just repeat what I said on the main board. :p

It's a brilliant signing. :thumbsu:

GWS are really taking advantage of the fact that they can recruit over the two years by getting veterans for the first year. These veterans will protect the youngsters until they have 20-odd games into them, and then retire likely. Then when GWS get their high-profile signings in the second year, their kids won't be as exposed.

This is a luxury that the Suns didn't have, but one that GWS is really taking advantage of. Factor into this that they won't have to pay these veterans that much, and it's a brilliant move.

As for McDonald, if he plays 5-10 games, he'll have done all he was meant to do I think. Along with Power, Cornes & Brogan, he'll provide some serious foundation culture and building blocks for the club to go forward.

Just repeat what I said on the main board. :p

It's a brilliant signing. :thumbsu:

GWS are really taking advantage of the fact that they can recruit over the two years by getting veterans for the first year. These veterans will protect the youngsters until they have 20-odd games into them, and then retire likely. Then when GWS get their high-profile signings in the second year, their kids won't be as exposed.

This is a luxury that the Suns didn't have, but one that GWS is really taking advantage of. Factor into this that they won't have to pay these veterans that much, and it's a brilliant move.

As for McDonald, if he plays 5-10 games, he'll have done all he was meant to do I think. Along with Power, Cornes & Brogan, he'll provide some serious foundation culture and building blocks for the club to go forward.
GWS also realizes that having players who can coach on the field come game day is a wiser investment in the infancy stages or a club build.

It goes to show you how stupid a lot of clubs are for moving their veterans on in favour of youth. Coaching from the box is one thing, having seasoned veterans coaching their younger team mates on the field another.

Liking the way GWS is going about this.

Played against him when he was at Old Xavs this year.
Whilst his knowledge of the game and leadership on/off the field is right up there, from what I saw he may struggle to keep up with the tempo of the AFL, based on his performances this year.

Having said that, Sheeds may look to get him to play half a game, then get subbed off, every other week...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at 35 and after a year out of the game? Not convinced about this one. As an assistant coach/mentor I think it's a smart move but as a player? Not so much.

As The_Duck mentioned, I think signings like this will be used to take advantage of the substitute. Maybe he can't go around for four quarters in the modern game, but he could be used to sub off after a half or sub in for the last quarter.

The way I see it with the extended lists there are going to be a lot of players that don't contribute much at all on field (like the suns have had) and instead of recruiting dud kids that will never make it or hacks like Nathan Abblett get experienced players that will impact the club and be valuable on and off field even if they are now has-beens. It's also interesting to note that that GWS haven't gone for any players that are at their peak.

I didn't see this one coming, but should have. Sheeds dropped a rather broad hint at the Scully press conference when he was talking about retired players.

McDonald ticks a lot of boxes. He's a former AFL club captain, and therefore knows what's expected of a leader. He's already established in a mentoring role at the club. Having two roles, as a player-coach, only half his payment would be included in the salary cap.
He'd only be playing for one year, two at most. But that's enough to groom Scully or Ward as a leader.

I'm loving this. I thought GWS were going to go down the loser path of Gold Coast but they are doing things the right way.

Anyone who thinks Gold Coast will be an unstoppable machine in four years doesn't get it.

:thumbsu: GWS

If they're going to sign Brogan, Cornes and Power as well, this concerns me. Their recruits at the moment are younger guys who haven't matured physically and mentally or guys who are definitely on their last legs. They definitely need a few blokes at the top of their game, like Ablett and Rischitelli in order to truly compete with the other clubs. I could be wrong and for the sake of the game I hope i'm wrong, but I guess only time will tell.

If they're going to sign Brogan, Cornes and Power as well, this concerns me. Their recruits at the moment are younger guys who haven't matured physically and mentally or guys who are definitely on their last legs. They definitely need a few blokes at the top of their game, like Ablett and Rischitelli in order to truly compete with the other clubs. I could be wrong and for the sake of the game I hope i'm wrong, but I guess only time will tell.

At least GWS are sending a message and that is ... "We aren't going to be pushed around". I didn't like the GC attitude of ... "Please be gentle with us until we grow up."

Remove this Banner Ad

News James McDonald signed as playing assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back