James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Robert Harvey springs to mind.
Brent Harvey I think
Dustin Fletcher as well

Couple straight off the top of my head
I'm talking about Adelaide players though since the 'rule' we implemented under Craig where we didn't offer multiple year contracts to any players over the age of 30. I also didn't think we gave them multiple years that would take them into their 30s such as the Reilly deal so I'd be interested to hear who the players were that we did if that was in fact the case as Vader believes it was.

It's very simple - do we need a KPF we can plug in round 1 2014 - yes.

Pods will you come for a year? Well I have a 1 year deal from Carlton and don't have to move interstate,

Ok - pods will you come for 2 - ok.

If you want something and so does the other guy - you pay more

It's very simple - do we need a KPF we can plug in round 1 2014 - yes.

Pods will you come for a year? Well I have a 1 year deal from Carlton and don't have to move interstate,

Ok - pods will you come for 2 - ok.

If you want something and so does the other guy - you pay more
Will Pods help us win a flag?

Couldn't agree more.

Obviously I'm not a massive fan of giving any 32 year old a 2 year deal, but if that's what was needed to get him across (and we don't have to give up anything to get him here) then so be it.

Would have the bloke that is going to get delisted to accommodate him?
My post was in response to PJs post about Vince.

No the delisted player wouldn't have but maybe getting 2 years of footy into LJ might help us win a flag in 3 years when Pods will be retired.

I am just praying Pods does something worthwhile next season. I have had massive doubts about this trade from day one. My worst fear is we feel we have to play him because he is a tall forward but he doesn't actually do anything and the media start bagging this trade every week. I understand the thought process of the AFC but not sure this was the answer especially since we most likely wont be in premiership contention. Pods.....Please make me eat my words.

Yeah, I can picture this.

Funny how they'll bag a guy on a two-year-minimum-chips-transition-into-coaching deal, but won't touch the current admin with a ten- foot pole.

Ah, agenda driven media. Bless it.

My post was in response to PJs post about Vince.

No the delisted player wouldn't have but maybe getting 2 years of footy into LJ might help us win a flag in 3 years when Pods will be retired.

One would hope he's not keeping LJ out of the team.

Perhaps Sando has a grand plan about Tex, Lynch, Pods and LJ as the four-pronged attack. And Jenkins in some other role.

I still think it's not a good look for the team when Pods gets a longer contract than LJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Sando has a grand plan about Tex, Lynch, Pods and LJ as the four-pronged attack. And Jenkins in some other role.

I still think it's not a good look for the team when Pods gets a longer contract than LJ.

I am more than happy we have Pods next year. I think it will be a very good thing for the team given that I expect virtually nothing from Tex in 2014. In light of this, provided Pod's is on a minimal contract in 2015, if its the only way we could secure his services next year, I can see why we did it.

:confused: Pods a CHF in one of the best teams of last 20 years, In top 10 contested marks, premiership player ....and a power forward which LJ is not nor will ever be

What has LJ done ?

LJ is fighting in 2014 to stay on the list ........he has improved, but he's not a great mark, and his hope is playing the Stevens role as a utility that can play back & forward
That said Lynch & Otten are same and are in front of him .......it would have been irresponsible for the club to give LJ a longer than 1 year contract .....it's now up to him

I am more than happy we have Pods next year. I think it will be a very good thing for the team given that I expect virtually nothing from Tex in 2014. In light of this, provided Pod's is on a minimal contract in 2015, if its the only way we could secure his services next year, I can see why we did it.
IMO Tex will hit his straps in the last 1/3 of the season ......it'll take him 12 games to gain confidence to do what he did before & i don't expect him to play AFL before rounds 5-8

I HOPE Tex is played in the SANFL for at least a month to gain confidence in his knee at the slower pace b4 we risk him at the AFL intensity ......fingers crossed

:confused: Pods a CHF in one of the best teams of last 20 years, In top 10 contested marks, premiership player ....and a power forward which LJ is not nor will ever be

What has LJ done ?

LJ is fighting in 2014 to stay on the list ........he has improved, but he's not a great mark, and his hope is playing the Stevens role as a utility that can play back & forward
That said Lynch & Otten are same and are in front of him .......it would have been irresponsible for the club to give LJ a longer than 1 year contract .....it's now up to him

I don't mind Pods on two years I just think LJ, at 22, should have got two years too.

Sometimes it's about judgement calls. It's not purely about runs on the board. Contracts are handed out on potential all the time.

I don't mind Pods on two years I just think LJ, at 22, should have got two years too.

Sometimes it's about judgement calls. It's not purely about runs on the board. Contracts are handed out on potential all the time.
Exactly .....and read what you will into the fact the club only wanted to give him one year.

That says how the club is thinking about LJ's potential .....or their confidence in him turning it on

I am neither here nor there on the signing of JPod. I can understand why the club did it, and I can understand why they gave him a 2-year contract. However, at his age there is significant risk that his contribution to the team will not live up to expectations.

I agree that there is a need for a "ready to go" KPP forward, to fill the gap created by Tex's injury (until Tex returns). JJ is coming off a serious foot/leg injury and a forward line consisting only of LJ, Lynch & Betts (God help us if we ever need to select Smack again) isn't going to get the business done. Lynch, 10 goals against GWS aside, isn't a consistent goal scorer and LJ hasn't proven anything to anyone by kicking 6 goals against the hapless Demons. We need a solid, mature KPP forward who is ready to play in R1 - not some pimply faced teenager who won't be ready until 2016 at the earliest (though adding one of those to our list would not go astray).

When you look at the options available, there's a fair argument that JPod was the best available - Gumbleton & Thorp are the only others who spring to mind. For those arguing that we could/should have landed someone else, feel free to provide a name - I don't believe there are/were any other viable options. Gumbleton wouldn't have come free (or even close to it, given Essendon's trading history) - and appears to be destined for Freo. Thorp would come cheap, but is very much an unknown commodity at AFL level, having spent the last few years as a big fish in a small pond; there's also the risk that he may be drafted by another club before we can get our own grubby mitts on him.

As for the 2-year contract... Yes, it clearly breaches the long standing policy of not offering multi-year deals to players after their 30th birthday (29th birthdays are, and always have been, perfectly fine). However, these are exceptional circumstances. The club obviously has their eyes on the long game, signing him for his coaching future as well as the last couple of years of his playing career. As 32yo players go, his body is in good shape and the risk of him breaking down is as low as it could be for a player of his age.

I'm not totally happy with the decision... but I can't think of any other alternative ways of meeting what is clearly an identified need. Thus the decision gets a tentative thumbs up.

LJ could very well be playing half back in 2014. Would love to see Hendo on one back flank and LJ the other. That way if the opposition shuts one down we still have a creative mobile long kicking option out of defence. Of course this plan revolves around Radar fronting up for the magoos each week which I would love to see but consider unlikely.

Have really warmed to the Pods signing and can't wait for him to front up for our first game at Adelaide Oval.

That's why LJ gets one year, he has the potential to do nothing.

IMHO he can kick but looks to me to be a down hill skier with a pretty good opinion of himself. I remember posts from swanies when we got him along these lines and now I tend to agree. He needs a kick in the pants to wake up and smell the roses. Last chance, earn it! SANFL form is one thing but he needs to bring it against good sides in the AFL when his opportunities arise if he is to be a long term prospect. I personally think he will fail, doesn't have the ticker but will happily be proven wrong.

According to Noble on Trade Radio, the greatest likelihood is that Lynch will play high half forward (and possibly on the wing) and Pods may play some time in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back