James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

The only person that will keep LJ out of the team is LJ.

Thats my thinking as well.

People seem to struggle to realise that while Pods and LJ are both forwards, they will play 2 completely different roles. If LJ doesnt perform, we will most likely move Otten into his role, or push lynch deeper into the 50 and play someone else at HFF.

Pods also said in an interview when he came over that he is here to help out the club, whether than be on the field as a player or off the field with coaching / fitness aspects of the game. He said that he will certainly not stand in the way of the developement of younger players, which Im glad he has stated. Shows that he clearly understands his role in coming over here.

My post was in response to PJs post about Vince.

No the delisted player wouldn't have but maybe getting 2 years of footy into LJ might help us win a flag in 3 years when Pods will be retired.
I understand your upset about Vince, and won't dispute he's popular. I also don't think getting rid of him gets us a flag of course . The context was in respect of overall list management and a preparedness to start moving these types on.

Pods is an entirely different beast. 2013 was a shocker, so much went wrong , but the biggest issue had to be the annihilation of our forward structure. Tippett gone , Walker gone , Callinan ( restricted preseason, never recovered ). Suddenly we are relying on Jenkins ( first full season) Lynch( first full season),then Otten learning a new role. Johnston was injured at a critical time - I mean seriously what a f.... G mess. Smith had a restricted start and didn't get going until late, Reilly out , Hendo out at the end , Thommo injured - it just goes on.

Now I feel very optimistic for 2014. Mainly because at least in 2013 we renovated pretty well and providing we have some injury luck - take a look at this midfield

Dangerfield
Sloane
Crouch
Thompson
Douglas
Smith
Grigg
Vb - tagger

Now THAT is a ring a ding ding midfield my friend. But we cannot have a forward line letting them down like this year. Betts + Pods take 2 of any oppositions best defenders. Otten appeared transformed by the end and Lynch is now up and running too and JJ will be back with rhe second tall Defender. So for me Pods, JJ, Otten, Lynch and Betts + resting mid really shapes as a dangerous combo. LJ across half back IMO .

Provided truck holds up again and Brown/ Laird continue to improve the defence looks solid .

Wowee that's a top 8 side minimum IMO . So yes, Pods can make a genuine difference IMO

I understand your upset about Vince, and won't dispute he's popular. I also don't think getting rid of him gets us a flag of course . The context was in respect of overall list management and a preparedness to start moving these types on.

Pods is an entirely different beast. 2013 was a shocker, so much went wrong , but the biggest issue had to be the annihilation of our forward structure. Tippett gone , Walker gone , Callinan ( restricted preseason, never recovered ). Suddenly we are relying on Jenkins ( first full season) Lynch( first full season),then Otten learning a new role. Johnston was injured at a critical time - I mean seriously what a f.... G mess. Smith had a restricted start and didn't get going until late, Reilly out , Hendo out at the end , Thommo injured - it just goes on.

Now I feel very optimistic for 2014. Mainly because at least in 2013 we renovated pretty well and providing we have some injury luck - take a look at this midfield

Dangerfield
Sloane
Crouch
Thompson
Douglas
Smith
Grigg
Vb - tagger

Now THAT is a ring a ding ding midfield my friend. But we cannot have a forward line letting them down like this year. Betts + Pods take 2 of any oppositions best defenders. Otten appeared transformed by the end and Lynch is now up and running too and JJ will be back with rhe second tall Defender. So for me Pods, JJ, Otten, Lynch and Betts + resting mid really shapes as a dangerous combo. LJ across half back IMO .

Provided truck holds up again and Brown/ Laird continue to improve the defence looks solid .

Wowee that's a top 8 side minimum IMO . So yes, Pods can make a genuine difference IMO

Top post, a lot went wrong this year and we saw quite a large transformation of our best 22 with a lot of disruption. I think in 2014 we'll see a far more settled best 22. Our starting back 6-7 is clear barring 3rd tall and a contest between Reilly and Henderson for the loose man role(Hendo easily for mine). Our midfield group is also very close to settled, with the high end talent required to challenge. The only question is our forward line, especially with so many coming back from surgery, Betts is a great addition and even if Pods isn't required that much, we need a back up big strong key forward who can create a contest as our bail out option.

Quite frankly, assuming our coaching staff have learned some lessons from 2013 and are able to get a much better preseason into our players I don't believe there's any reason why we can't be challenging for a top 4 spot.

Dangerfield
Sloane
Crouch
Thompson
Douglas
Smith
Grigg
Vb - tagger

Love the post summary ......but IMHO that forward line is too slow to hold the ball in our 50

I love Otten as a forward and Lynch was a revelation .......but i just can't see them both in the forward 50 next year at the same time

Assuming Walker is out early:
Porplyzia ......Podsiadly .......Betts

Otten .....Jenkins ......Douglas

That's 3 talls and 3 smalls with midfielders changing thru the HF line

I know the cry will be about Lynch ......but Jenkins as the lead up forward with capabilities of working back with his speed.

Better options than Lynch who may take Ottens role in the backline .......just think Otten is a natural forward and kicked 15 goals in cameo roles down forward

Love the post summary ......but IMHO that forward line is too slow to hold the ball in our 50

I love Otten as a forward and Lynch was a revelation .......but i just can't see them both in the forward 50 next year at the same time

I know the cry will be about Lynch ......but Jenkins as the lead up forward with capabilities of working back with his speed.

Better options than Lynch who may take Ottens role in the backline .......just think Otten is a natural forward and kicked 15 goals in cameo roles down forward

I would put my house and my kids life on the fact lynch plays forward, and otten doesn't

Tend to agree

Otten is view by the club as a defender opposed to a forward and I expect Ottoman will be training with the defensive group during per-season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know exactly why Otten will play forward next year.

we already have walker, lynch, jenkins, pods, LJ

But ottens kicking skills and hard running put him above the rest...

Serious reservations re LJ in the backlines at AFL level. Lacks sufficient combination of hardness, footy smarts, pace and defensive aptitude generally.

He is more the 6 kicks a game forward who snags 3 goals imo

Personally of the opinion that Otten is morphing into our next Stevens

I have him more as Adelaide's Justin Westoff. Can play all over the field and do some amazing stuff (just watched that pivotal mark against Geelong, it is bloody amazing!). Both extremely talented but at times inconsistent.

I have him more as Adelaide's Justin Westoff. Can play all over the field and do some amazing stuff (just watched that pivotal mark against Geelong, it is bloody amazing!). Both extremely talented but at times inconsistent.

And at times, I hate to say "soft" in a contest

Both were on the veterans list this year and will be again in 2014. Johncock was also on the veterans list this year.

The AFL changed the way team lists are structured at the end of last year, coinciding with the introduction of FA. Previously clubs had a senior list of 38 plus two positions which could be filled by either a veteran or a nominated rookie. For most of our history we had 2 veterans. In 2012 Doughty was our only veteran and Callinan was a nominated rookie.

As of this year the veterans list was rolled into the senior list. Clubs now have a senior list of 40. They also changed the veteran eligibility rules and how their salaries are counted under the cap.
oh ok, i saw there was a change but never read into it fully yet, I wish they would stop altering these rules in the rate they do, i know the afl are trying to even out teams and keep players safe but there has to be a limit, i mean capping the bench made rotations higher not lower, so now there is a cap, that could be reduced, then they change vet list rules, rookie list rules, the rules in place for us in father son was another complex rule.

and now with this compensation rule, that looks like it will now change after 2 years, its not good for the image of the game

Porps wouldn't make my best-22.

Start Lynch forward, Otten back IMO - but can swap around/stints in the midfield. Both should play in the 22 given their flexibility. Lynch plays the lead-up forward so well.

F: Wright, Podsiadly, Betts
HF: Douglas, Jenkins, Lynch

Wright is my choice as 2nd small as does the pressure acts, but unlike Pets, finds the goals too ... & can run on the ball.

Douglas obviously rotates through with other mids.

Facts and myths about Podsiadly

Is a beautiful field kick - long raking drop punts - however set shots for goal - even dead in front from 30- 40 metres out - no better than 50-50 - seen him miss alot of set shots over the years

Can play in the backline- especially 1st half of 2013 - played very well there - moved midway in the Sydney game at the SCG - and was instrumental in the win

Is a dirty sly footballer-uses the knees and elbows in a very crude way in plenty of games - got plenty of dirt in the system Pods - expect him to miss games through suspension

Is a massive man - 100kg - and his overhead marking is his asset - good team player ( unselfish) and has a good football brain - takes the right options

Can be a lazy baaarstd at times - not through a lack of chasing - best example -the game against the Crows at Football Park this year - gave away 6 infuriating free kicks - from hitting Douglass after he kicked the ball - to just collapsing on top of blokes when tackling them - rather than rolling them in the tackle

When playing in tandem with Hawkins( with his bad back this year) Geelong at times could look a little bit top heavy and slow in the forwardline

Remove this Banner Ad

James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back