James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whats been wrong with the kid so far this Competition? I don't want to be hard on him because I know no matter what he will be Top 10, but after coming into this competition with enormous raps on him, he hasn't showed too much in his last game and in the current game?

What kind of a player is he anyway? Does he have a position? When I watched his first game, he appeared to be slightly too short for the ruck. Whats his marking ability like? Can he play CHF? Is he bit like Koschitzke?

philhawk said:
Whats been wrong with the kid so far this Competition? I don't want to be hard on him because I know no matter what he will be Top 10, but after coming into this competition with enormous raps on him, he hasn't showed too much in his last game and in the current game?

What kind of a player is he anyway? Does he have a position? When I watched his first game, he appeared to be slightly too short for the ruck. Whats his marking ability like? Can he play CHF? Is he bit like Koschitzke?

Apparently was sick the week before the carnival. Smells a bit like Mitch Clark.

Im not a fan with what ive seen, granted its minimal.

Gary Bucky was apparently talking him up before, so he may be high on our list..

Nightwolf_69 said:
Im not a fan with what ive seen, granted its minimal.

Gary Bucky was apparently talking him up before, so he may be high on our list..

That's what I was thinking as well. I think as rgauci mentioned, it might be another Mitch Clark scenario. Lets just hope that Sellar can pull his finger out and play the class football that had him rated so highly before.

That said, could it be the SA coaches fault for playing him in possibly the wrong position?

mcphee_is_a_gun said:
you've got to remember he's bottom aged as well.
Yeah and he's playing SANFL already. Potential is unlimited for him. Had 22 possessions in the first game even though he didn't play at his best. He wasn't seen much in todays match. He could be sick or he is being played out of position.

The James Sellar I and most SA observers know is DEFINITELY NOT playing at the carnival. Hard, agressive and forceful, he has played better in the SANFL than he has at this carnival. He can do everything Hawkins can do, crash packs massive contested marks and pinch hit in the ruck. Also very young but whatever the result here, the guy is a massive talent. Still worthy of top 5, but prob wont go there now because of carnival. Perhaps tanking it so he can stay back in SA ;)

massive massive dissapointment after watching his last 2 games.

those 20 possesions he got during game 1. he was the loose man on the wing. so read into that what u will. for mine he looks injured. (carrying a groin maybe)

he cant be very match fit either with about a 1/4 in the last month of footy.

after talking to a talent scouting mate from s.a. he tells me he is a shadow of the player that he has been watching in the first half of the season in the SANFL.

the plot thickens with the draft order of 2006 :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crowsarethebest said:
Yeah and he's playing SANFL already. Potential is unlimited for him. Had 22 possessions in the first game even though he didn't play at his best. He wasn't seen much in todays match. He could be sick or he is being played out of position.

Hasn't he been playing reserves recently? May just be in bad form.

i dont think so... My top 10 at this stage would be:

1. Thorp
2. Gumbleton
3. Gibbs
4. Hansen
5. Leuenberger (great nationals improved his chances)
6. jetta
7, 8, 9, 10 Pretty even between colbung, collard, sellar, hislop, etc.

I wouldn't have riewoldt in my ten, he's a tad overrated me thinks!

LukeHodge15 said:
after talking to a talent scouting mate from s.a. he tells me he is a shadow of the player that he has been watching in the first half of the season in the SANFL.

the plot thickens with the draft order of 2006 :p

Your scout is on the money, his league SANFL form dropped off so much he was dropped to the reserves. When he made his debut he was sensational (going back around 8 weeks now), took some big strong grabs against big KP players, seasoned SANFL players and slotted through 4 goals. Few games later racked up 22 touches and 11 marks from CHF and a couple of goals. Also spent time in ruck and was sound but not great there. Sellar is most definitely a CHF...but one who is mobile enough to be used in other places.

While his carnival has been poor, the talent doesn't disappear overnight, he would still be worthy of a top 5 pick. 3 weeks doesn't make a player changed forever. You have to embrace the bigger picture, given he has performed MUCH better against MUCH stronger opposition.

Thunderstruck said:
Your scout is on the money, his league SANFL form dropped off so much he was dropped to the reserves. When he made his debut he was sensational (going back around 8 weeks now), took some big strong grabs against big KP players, seasoned SANFL players and slotted through 4 goals. Few games later racked up 22 touches and 11 marks from CHF and a couple of goals. Also spent time in ruck and was sound but not great there. Sellar is most definitely a CHF...but one who is mobile enough to be used in other places.

While his carnival has been poor, the talent doesn't disappear overnight, he would still be worthy of a top 5 pick. 3 weeks doesn't make a player changed forever. You have to embrace the bigger picture, given he has performed MUCH better against MUCH stronger opposition.

Whats his overhead marking ability like? People have said that his "kicking action is wierd", but nothing altogether negative is it? Is he mobile in the sense of a Koschitzke esque pinch hit ruckman/CHF?

johnson_26 said:

1. Thorp
2. Gumbleton
3. Gibbs
4. Hansen
6. jetta

Thorp at 1? Gee whiz, I have to watch him play! :eek:

Thunderstruck said:

bottom aged as well, makes for an exciting talent also.

wont slide much being a KP at 195 and 17 years old.

would still have him top 5. his sprint time over 20m is outa this world for a KP player :thumbsu: do have queries over his kicking technique and how fit he is actually at the minute.

johnson_26 said:

1. Thorp
2. Gumbleton
3. Gibbs
4. Hansen
6. jetta

very much improved game from leuenberger today from that garbage he served up on sunday against vic country.

but no way he will go top 5 imo. :eek:

leuenberger around the 20 mark for mine. but havent really sorted out a ranking position yet.

johnson_26 said:

1. Thorp
2. Gumbleton
3. Gibbs
4. Hansen
6. jetta

Disagree with that but good effort. Here's the top 10 as i see it atm.

1. Bryce Gibbs
2.Scott Gumbleton
3. Lachlan Hansen
4. Mitch Thorp
5. James Sellar
6. Clayton Collard
7. Leroy Jetta
8. Matthew Leunberger
9. Robert Eddy
10. Brock O'Brien

Note* Selwood would be in the top 10 most likely but i havent seen him play. Probably missed a few others as i did it off the top of my head.

LukeHodge15 said:
very much improved game from leuenberger today from that garbage he served up on sunday against vic country.

but no way he will go top 5 imo. :eek:

leuenberger around the 20 mark for mine. but havent really sorted out a ranking position yet.

For a 202cm ruckman, Leuenberger shows amazing leap, pace, and acceleration, I reckon. He may not go top five, depending on what the bottom teams are looking for, but in my book he's a top five prospect.

Gumbleton the absolute standout for mine, and Jetta a tiny bit overrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back