James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not deflecting. It’s a genuine question. Did you go ballistic at Hodge when he put Wingard into a point post or when Lake choked Petrie or when Lewis overstepped the mark on a handful of occasions?

You can’t let premiership legends get carte blanche but then hold blokes like Sicily to lofty standards.

Personally I enjoy having the odd hardnut who plays on the fringes. I think Sicily needs to ease up a bit - but I’m certainly not going to act as though he’s a deviant who should be forced out of the club.
Most defended Lake and said Petrie had it coming, I certainly don't remember anyone turning on Lake, and the Hodge incident was the most dangerous act in my years of watching Hawthorn. Sicily hasn't done anything near that level.

I agree I don't remember much outrage just wry chuckles and 'eh you know them', complete horseshit for some people to start narrowing in on Sicily. I don't remember a single post ever slamming Osborne and the way he acted, who a lot of people were comparing Sicily to early on. Some people are just hypocritical could you imagine if Frawley did the Lake incident ... I think people would be less forgiving and that's an understatement.

Lewis went through this stage as well, he was older than Sicily before he even began toning it down, maybe Sicily needs to borrow a few happy place tips, but I ain't bothered too much.

This is ridiculous. It’s nothing, his foot slipped off him. For **** sake the AFL has gone mad.

Most defended Lake and said Petrie had it coming, I certainly don't remember anyone turning on Lake, and the Hodge incident was the most dangerous act in my years of watching Hawthorn. Sicily hasn't done anything near that level.

I agree I don't remember much outrage just wry chuckles and 'eh you know them', complete horseshit for some people to start narrowing in on Sicily. I don't remember a single post ever slamming Osborne and the way he acted, who a lot of people were comparing Sicily to early on. Some people are just hypocritical could you imagine if Frawley did the Lake incident ... I think people would be less forgiving and that's an understatement.

Lewis went through this stage as well, he was older than Sicily before he even began toning it down, maybe Sicily needs to borrow a few happy place tips, but I ain't bothered too much.

It’s a bizarre double standard. Hodge, Lewis and Lake just have the moments of craziness add to their legend - Sicily gets called to be traded :drunk:

It’s a bizarre double standard. Hodge, Lewis and Lake just have the moments of craziness add to their legend - Sicily gets called to be traded :drunk:
We had the odd one wanting those blokes hung out or dropped, Lake got hung out to dry by the club for the Petrie one as well

He'd want to smarten up and fly straight for a while after this, he's of no use on the sideline and neither of his efforts were making a statement of fear for opponents like the other blokes did.

All this says is target Sis and you'll get frees and maybe him rubbed out

It’s not deflecting. It’s a genuine question. Did you go ballistic at Hodge when he put Wingard into a point post or when Lake choked Petrie or when Lewis overstepped the mark on a handful of occasions?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any of those people doing things to blokes lying face down on the ground. Most of what Lewis and Hodge did was either in play or standing (or lying down in Lake's case) face to face with their opponent. In many cases such as Lake's they were retaliating. What Sicily did isn't the act of a "hardnut" it is the act of a nut. Having a loon in your side can be handy at times, but the problem is if he keeps doing shit like this, he'll be spending more time suspended than helping the team win games, and we need him very badly in the side right now.

I just don't understand how those defending Sicily on this topic see his act as in any way defensible. I don't think he's just eaten a guy's ear off, but I do think it was massively unsportsman like, and exactly the type of thing I'd call a dog act if I saw an opposition player doing it to one of our own. People excusing it because of some misguided idea that it is 'tough' or 'hard' is even more baffling.

I don’t think it’s over the top at all and somethings have the potential to unbalance me and Sicily is it. I was otc on the “deliberately cause harm” when he didn’t, so I’ll wear that. Maybe he said something to him about what he could do and didn’t who knows but all he had to do was take two steps to the right and go round him and get on with playing the game but he didn’t and like I said there was nothing tough about what he did. I have always had a love hate affair with Sicily because he has so much potential but he is also just plain stupid and it’s that stupid that impacts on the entire team and it’s unnecessary stupid which is even more frustrating. I’ve had my say and I won’t commet further because it’s actually pissed me off big time and I’m becoming even more unbalanced.

Maybe the mrp will just say what were you thinking Christiansen- this is worthy of no more than a fine

I agree it wasn’t tough at all. And of course it was stupid. But stupidity itself isnt enough to get suspended. A punishment has to match the crime and a lot of people would be missing a lot of games if stupidity was penalised.

It was petty really but my personal opinion is that it was nothing more.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

C'mon this cant be serious can it? The footage is laughable, I've had harder hits from my little sister. If he gets reported for that this game is seriously stuffed but I still wouldn't be surprised given the media will push it hard. Sicily should report Christensen for stalking as he's obviously got it in for him

Again, this is so minuscule. FFS his foot slipped off his calf and to my eyes he wasn’t even looking at the player on the ground. What the actual hell is going on with the MRP. There are instances like this every week! This stinks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any of those people doing things to blokes lying face down on the ground. Most of what Lewis and Hodge did was either in play or standing (or lying down in Lake's case) face to face with their opponent. In many cases such as Lake's they were retaliating. What Sicily did isn't the act of a "hardnut" it is the act of a nut. Having a loon in your side can be handy at times, but the problem is if he keeps doing shit like this, he'll be spending more time suspended than helping the team win games, and we need him very badly in the side right now.

I just don't understand how those defending Sicily on this topic see his act as in any way defensible. I don't think he's just eaten a guy's ear off, but I do think it was massively unsportsman like, and exactly the type of thing I'd call a dog act if I saw an opposition player doing it to one of our own. People excusing it because of some misguided idea that it is 'tough' or 'hard' is even more baffling.

I’m not defending Sicily - just asking those calling him every name under the sun or bitching that he should be traded to maybe take a cold shower and calm down.

Choking someone or hitting them into a behind post aren’t really excusable, in play or not - nor is standing on someone. You can’t laugh off the Hodge and Lake incidents but then ramp up the histrionics on Sicily. It’s hypocrisy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL 360 is a shocker. Robbo and Gerard had Mitchell Burton and Sicily all rubbbed out and squealed like a bunch of girls and then got the head of the Geelong cheer squad on to try and get Selwood off and Richo sits there nodding his head in agreement because he can’t talk for himself. Seriously it’s laughable. A cardboard cut out would be better than Richardson. He permanently has splinters in his bottom he sits on that many fences.

Again, this is so minuscule. FFS his foot slipped off his calf and to my eyes he wasn’t even looking at the player on the ground. What the actual hell is going on with the MRP. There are instances like this every week! This stinks
they look for these 'incidents' to stir up controversy early in the week to give the media something to talk about... I would cop 1 week only because of his priors at most, anything else is OTT

It's not a good look. I would think a fine would be appropriate given it's more of an action trying to be a pest rather than intentionally trying to harm.

Seems the media is out for blood on this one though so expecting 3 weeks.

Stupid act from Sicily.

My opinion (not worth the s6 it's written on)

It was a grub act. The kind designed to get under the skin of an opponent and make him lose his cool/focus. A niggly little thing to possibly make the opposition player retaliate or as pay back for verbal or physical clash earlier.

Sis still has some maturing to do and that doesn't look like it's going to happen overnight like we hoped.

These incidents make him public enemy number one. He only has himself to blame in this regard.

However......

The term 'insufficient force' has never been more applicable. Nor has 'potential to cause serious harm'.

We had the odd one wanting those blokes hung out or dropped, Lake got hung out to dry by the club for the Petrie one as well

He'd want to smarten up and fly straight for a while after this, he's of no use on the sideline and neither of his efforts were making a statement of fear for opponents like the other blokes did.

All this says is target Sis and you'll get frees and maybe him rubbed out
I think this the saddest part of the whole issue. He is going to get niggled and targeted even more with no protection from the umpires, which happened in the Carlton game last year.

AFL 360 is a shocker. Robbo and Gerard had Mitchell Burton and Sicily all rubbbed out and squealed like a bunch of girls and then got the head of the Geelong cheer squad on to try and get Selwood off and Richo sits there nodding his head in agreement because he can’t talk for himself. Seriously it’s laughable. A cardboard cut out would be better than Richardson. He permanently has splinters in his bottom he sits on that many fences.

I hope you don't get high blood pressure while watching it. Please ignore Robbo and co as much as possible for your own sanity.

I saw Burton's bump incident from the other angle and saw nothing but pure accident. Not even a free kick given at that time. Scary, yes but this media outcry was crazy. Did they(journalist) even watch it live at the Etihad to make that comments and assessments?

Stop watching the shit. It's pure agenda driven rubbish with two wannabe intellects.

I hope you don't get high blood pressure while watching it. Please ignore Robbo and co as much as possible for your own sanity.

I saw Burton's bump incident from the other angle and saw nothing but pure accident. Not even a free kick given at that time. Scary, yes but this media outcry was crazy. Did they(journalist) even watch it live at the Etihad to make that comments and assessments?
That's why I don't watch footy shows, haven't for years most of it is propaganda and commentators with axes to grind. Oops have watch the Marngrook Footy Show on the odd occasion.

I’m not defending Sicily - just asking those calling him every name under the sun or bitching that he should be traded to maybe take a cold shower and calm down.

Yes, trading him would be silly. Apart from anything else, he's now one of the most important players in the side.

Choking someone or hitting them into a behind post aren’t really excusable, in play or not - nor is standing on someone. You can’t laugh off the Hodge and Lake incidents but then ramp up the histrionics on Sicily. It’s hypocrisy.

I don't see it that way. I think people just see what Sicily did as different to the other things you've mentioned. Lake and Petrie were wrestling, and if I remember correctly some people suggested Petrie had his fingers up around Lake's eye socket before the strangling started. Hodge's looked like a fair bump gone wrong (look at the the replay, Wingard falls over at the perfectly wrong moment which contributed to the danger of the bump). I don't think it is those guy's premiership medals that protected them from more criticism from fans. I think people can genuinely see a difference between those acts and stepping on a guy with your studs when he is lying down, defenceless, and not even looking. Happy for you to have a different opinion, but I can understand the frustration, and some of the disgust with what Sicily has done. I wasn't that outraged by the Selwood incident. Selwood instigated the contact and while in a submissive position, was at least able to see it coming. This week was quite different IMO.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back