Jared Brennan - overhyped

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Porthos
Try reading what I wrote. The sensationalization you've come up with there would certainly augur well for a future in the WA media.

If not the West Australian then definitely a job with the Advertiser.

Its been a long weekend and truthfully I can't work out what your trying to say.

Originally posted by funky_monk
Its been a long weekend and truthfully I can't work out what your trying to say.
That if you look at the 2002 All-Australian side (a pretty good measure of quality), most of them probably didn't have Haselby style debut seasons either. I know Tredrea only played one game.

Brennan has shown some great football talent (I don't agree that he's an athlete playing football, more a footballer needing discipline and development), and I don't think the hype is too much. He's certainly got the assets to be a good KPP, and just needs the time.

When drafted, he was considered a development player much like Tim Walsh. So far the most impressive thing he's done is get games in a two-time premiership side - thats a pretty good result for him. Overhyped? Not yet.

Couldn't give a crap if he's not spoken about like Ball, Hodge and Judd. Pollys playing really well this year. Was also the medias pick for WA State of Origin CHB as well. Judd is thus far clearly the best player from that draft but he can't win it this year. Otherwise I'd have him before Hodge or Ball.

Polak would be up there. Id say Sam Mitchell would be the leader of the rising star at the moment.

RIsing star would be out of Polak, Mitchell and Goddard. I'd have Polak just at the moment, as he's had the toughest jobs of the three.

Polak or Mitchell for me for Rising Star. Mitchell is a tough bastard of a player, one who would be perfect in the North midfield. Hopefully Wells will show even more of what he has been showing and gets up to the top 3.

Originally posted by IceTemple
Over-hyped? Only by the media but they do that every week.

Comments from this weekend:

Essendon are no hope for the finals now.
Carlton keep a slim hope alive of making the finals.

Essendon one game clear of Carlton.

Go figure??

The media circus is great for getting people to talk and argue about anything.....the mozzy is on the Blues so it seems.

The fool who is QUESTIONING the Bombers is either a mad closet Bombers fan who wants to extract the best out of them or a dumb@ss who has NO idea about the game......

It wasn't Bruce ' I left at half time' Matthews making the Bombers comment ??

I like the idea that not many if many are convinced of North yet....that's the way i like it...we'll just stay low key.;) :)

Originally posted by Porthos
So far Jared Brennan's AFL debut has probably excelled most of the 2002 All-Australian teams' debut seasons (if they were even playing at 18).

I think you may have missed the point ... once again

There were posts on here the night of his first game suggesting

1) It was a mistake by St Kilda and North not to draft him
2) He was being compared to Kouta
3) The best debut by any player... ever!

I am quite happy with Wells, doubt I'll see him miss from ten out or mucking around with the ball the way Brennan has. The hype was simply amazing simply because he held the ball with two hands.

OK I'm going to be accused of being bias here but Polak is doing everything the Kosi from the Saints did when he won the rising star award. Holding down a key position and doing it well (sans Tredrea last week). Otherwise to my knowledge there has been no eligible player who has been as consistent or productive. Polak is also 4th in the league for contested marks at the moment.

Does anyone have any other ideas/players?

I'd have Polak ahead at this stage. Goddard's going ok, Ball started well but Polak is the most consistent at present.

Can someone tell me a first year player who contributes to a team performance week in week out?? They all go through their troughs.

Even Chris Judd had a few off games before yesterday against Brissy.

Jared Brennan has exceptional talent, and he will be an unbeliavable footballer one day.

Originally posted by Falchoon
I'd have Polak ahead at this stage. Goddard's going ok, Ball started well but Polak is the most consistent at present.

Polak would be ahead ATM. It will be good for a WA team to get the rising star after they thought they were hard done by with Kerr and Judd in the past two years.

However, on present form not too many people would complain if Polak got the award.

Good luck to him, seems like a very likely prospect.

As for Brennan, Wells and Goddard, the subject should be revisited in about two years, just like the Hodge, Ball, Judd subject should be looked at in about a years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many great games to come from Brennan

Originally posted by Black Thunder
Can someone tell me a first year player who contributes to a team performance week in week out?? They all go through their troughs.

Jared Brennan has exceptional talent, and he will be an unbeliavable footballer one day.

Agree....and it'll be interesting if he gets votes from the umps from that debut game.....gives us a guage how the Umps' attention is caught.

Originally posted by Black Thunder

For us, Medhurst contributed well last year in his first year in the AFL, and in 2000, Hasleby contributed week in, week out.

Originally posted by superstar
RIsing star would be out of Polak, Mitchell and Goddard. I'd have Polak just at the moment, as he's had the toughest jobs of the three.

If Brad Fisher doesnt get nominated this week, it will highlight how much of a farce this competition is..

He has been playing some great footy, both before the knee injury and after it, and was almost integral to the win on Saturday

Originally posted by Kenny_01
For us, Medhurst contributed well last year in his first year in the AFL, and in 2000, Hasleby contributed week in, week out.

even Haselby, who has been considered starting XXII member at the Dockers since the moment he stepped into the club had the occasional game where he went missing in his first season. I know he didn't do very much in the first derby against us, and had a bit of a stretch mid-season where he didn't do much again, and then had another mini stretch towards the season.

It's virtually impossible for someone to step straight into AFL and notch up performances of consistency that you'd expect from the top players in the competition.

Medhurst did do expectionally well - failed to score in just 3 matches, which is probably about as consistent contribution as you could expect from a first year player.

I disagree Black Thunder. Hasleby did have a fewer quiter games where he got about 15 possesions but that is still a fair contribution. You would have to look at how the team performed in those games and the conditions as well. Still, even the better ball winners now still have quiet games.

Hasleby averaged 21.4 possesions and kicked 15 goals in his first season. He had 7 games in first season (from 21 games) where he had over 25 possesions. That might not sound like anything special but when you put it into context... Kerr had a great first year, but he didn't get over 25 possesions in any game that year.

Originally posted by Kenny_01
I disagree Black Thunder. Hasleby did have a fewer quiter games where he got about 15 possesions but that is still a fair contribution. You would have to look at how the team performed in those games and the conditions as well. Still, even the better ball winners now still have quiet games.

Hasleby averaged 21.4 possesions and kicked 15 goals in his first season. He had 7 games in first season (from 21 games) where he had over 25 possesions. That might not sound like anything special but when you put it into context... Kerr had a great first year, but he didn't get over 25 possesions in any game that year.

I'm not doubting Haselby had a great first year, but I'm just saying that even Haselby who did have a few quiet games that year, just proves that you can't expect a first year player to contribute every week, in the same vein way as someone like Michael Voss or Nathan Buckley does. Even Haselby, who had about as good as first year as you could hope for in a player wasn't able to do that.

And it just seems that the general theme of Brennan-knockers is that he doesn't contribute week-in week-out, and I'm simply asking them name a first year player who has?? because there isn't one. At least not in recent memory.

Originally posted by wagstaff
After Jared Brennan played his first game against Collingwood, the reaction from the media and on messageboards like this was euphoric.

Journos were saying how lucky Brisbane were to call on a young player who could slot straight in a key position. Needless to say, his one-handed pickups had the Ch 9. commentators that night drooling onto their microphones. It looked as if he was the clear front-runner to be the Rising star for 2003.

What has happened since? In his next game against the Bulldogs he started off where he left off against the Pies with 2 goals and some superb marks. But some concerning traits began developing during that game - particularly the need to do something flashy instead of being effective.

As a result, in the 6 matches he's played since his debut, he's contributed little. Today against West Coast, he did one or two nice things but also some reckless, show-off pieces of play that hindered rather then helped his side.

In the short-term, having such a notable debut game was probably a bad thing for Brennan. If he remains in the side in future weeks, he's going to have to stand up and contribute more.

But he holds the ball in one hand!

Originally posted by Navy Master
If Brad Fisher doesnt get nominated this week, it will highlight how much of a farce this competition is..

He has been playing some great footy, both before the knee injury and after it, and was almost integral to the win on Saturday

Yeah?

Allan Murray might have something to say about that :)

Another lazy 16 touches on the weekend :eek:

One averages 9.5, the other averages nearly 14.

Be interesting to see if they ignore Muzza for the third week running.

"That's for sacking Matty ya lazy gits..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Brennan - overhyped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back