Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's take a step back on Polec.

We have an ageing list and need to rebuild. We rolled the dice last trade period to improve our short term out look but it didn't work.

We now have to reset on the medium and longer term to reset the club and Polec will give us draft picks to achieve that. Hopefully we manage to extract value from other players no longer in the age bracket for our next window.

It's a tough road ahead but making tough decisions on careers will make the journey a better one.

Because if he has a firm offer from Norf why wouldn’t he wait a while and see what he can squeeze out? He’s in a good negotiating position.
Hes still hoping we will blink.

Whether he stays or goes if we dont is the question but I'm happy for us to hold firm and see how much he wants to be here.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Understandably difficult position he is in.

On one hand, loves Port, loves playing at Adelaide Oval in front of 30-40 thousand fans, good salary, smart contract length on the clubs part.

On the other, LOADSAMONEY and contract length, playing at Etihad in front of 15 thousand and Hobart in front of 5 thousand, for a team that he would be 'meh' about.

It's also not the end of all football, and North may change the offer depending on the result of the Gaff trade. I doubt that West Coast will want to talk about that till the en of finals even though Gaff is not involved.

It was reported by Barrett weeks ago that north can fit gaff and polec (and his 1mil for the 1st year) contract in their salary cap.

Barrett has more ears within North than any other club.

What’s this bullshit about playing hardball with Polec? He’s been offered a three year deal at $600k a season, which is more than reasonable.

Just because North has offered some ridiculous deal to get someone to their club doesn’t mean he’s worth that considering his injury history.

We aren’t lowballing him.

I think Port are and MotlopRules is spot on. I think favourites have had long term contracts pushed under their noses in similar circumstances, let's compare the pair:

Hamish Hartlett (2015)
Contract (years): 6 (1 + 5yr extension)
Salary: $500-$750k range
Durability: Questionable (112 games in 7 years)
Positional Depth: Strong (Pittard, Byrne-Jones, Broadbent, Stewart)
Form: Mixed (polled 3 Brownlow votes, 8th in Port B&F)

Jared Polec (2018)
Contract (years): 3
Durability: Questionable (106 games in 8 years)
Positional Depth: Weak (Motlop, Bonner?)
Form: Strong (career year, likely top 3 B&F, only pure outside player to have 20+ disposals in 21 games - Oliver, T.Mitchell, N.Jones others)

Given the form Polec has shown, the positional depth, durability over the past two years and age bracket he falls into, he deserves a four year deal at the speculated salary, at a minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Port are and MotlopRules is spot on. I think favourites have had long term contracts pushed under their noses in similar circumstances, let's compare the pair:

Hamish Hartlett (2015)

Jared Polec (2018)
Form: Strong (career year, likely top 3 B&F, only pure outside player to have 20+ disposals in 21 games - Oliver, T.Mitchell, N.Jones others)

Given the form Polec has shown, the positional depth, durability over the past two years and age bracket he falls into, he deserves a four year deal at the speculated salary, at a minimum.
The counter to that is that just because you make a poor decision once doesn't mean you need to follow precedent and do it again. And you won't find a bigger fan of HH but it was poor.

The counter to that is that just because you make a poor decision once doesn't mean you need to follow precedent and do it again. And you won't find a bigger fan of HH but it was poor.
Agree but the circumstances in this case differ a little with little to no positional depth at wing and the current form of the player. A lot on this board are saying that Polec's form could fall off a cliff or suffer another injury in the next few years but you could make an argument just as strong that he will play 22 games each year for the next five at All-Australian level, it's all subjective.

EDIT: Giving Pittard a three year deal in late 2017 with little market or competition suggests poor contracts to favourites are still tabled

Last edited:
Just reading North supporters on all this. Is missing out on player after player year after year like they have some sort of reason to turn you in to a gigantic cockbiscuit? Seems to be some misplaced sense of importance to them all. Just be happy that it looks like you may actually land target number 15 or something due to offering a 'can't refuse' offer and move on.

Hamish Hartlett (2015)

Jared Polec (2018)

And this board absolutely shat themselves when HH got that 5 year deal. Media was also quite critical of it, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

Back