Jarryd Roughead needs to be read the riot act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Personally, and it pains me to say this but I would drop the big fella for a week to send a statement to both him and the team that any sort of poor work ethic will no longer be tolerated at Hawthorn.

A number of times on Saturday (I watched him closely form my seat at AAMI Stadium) Roughead just refused to chase and was caught several metres behind Ben Rutten. Twice in the last quarter this resulted in goals to Adelaide as Rutten took an uncontested mark across half-back and started the Crows attack.

Looking at Roughead, he is either unfit or does not work hard enough when we don't have the ball. It is unacceptable for his direct opponent to be taking uncontested marks due to the lack of pressure applied.

Roughy is simply not kicking enough goals to allow this side of his game to fall away. At this stage of his career he needs to be better than that.

I agree with that. However, for a guy who gets a minimal amount of football, his workrate when we do not have it is abysmal.

I love him but he escapes scrutiny on here and has been pretty average at times since the premiership win in 2008. He is a guy that our kids should be looking to for inspiration.

He kicked 2 goals from some terrible delivery. Presented well all night and looks an improvement on last year.

He is the least of our worries.

Interesting, I thought Roughy's pressure was pretty solid at least in the first 2-3 quarters... After that I could understand a bit of a drop in pressure hauling around such a big body for that long, that's when the small forwards need to put on more pressure.

Roughead is stuck leaping around and leading into pockets and such because the delivery into him never seems easy (apart from that one Suckling laser). Would bugger me too ;)

I wouldn't drop him, especially after he kicked 100% (and almost another but it bounced backwards lol)

I thought Roughead was a positive on Saturday night. Thought he contested and tackled well , set shots were good ... granted I wasn't at the game and couldn't see the entire field ... and I can't recall the uncontested marks you're talking about CK but the kicker should take some responsibility for the delivery.

Dropping him wouldn't be good for the team or Roughy. Could come out and kick a bag this week imo.

Suggesting he should be dropped is idiotic.

Just looking for a scapegoat when the whole side dropped right off in the last quarter.

I am not looking for a scapegoat at all.

I am saying that the guy needs to do more with his God-given ability.

I am also saying that no player, Franklin, Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli or Roughead included should get a "get out of jail free card" if they are performing poorly.

Jarryd Roughead is one of my favourite players. That said, he needs to do a lot more and a week at Box Hill may reignite the fire if his form does not improve sharply in the coming weeks. At times, he just does not look like he wants it badly enough. A man of his size and with his talent should be scaring the living daylights out of opponents all across the country. At this point in his career he is not especially intimidating at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughy needs footballs equivalent of a 'complete makeover'. IMO, it's the way he carries himself which contributes to this perception of him being disinterested and slow.

During the next off-season he needs to holiday with Barry Hall or Jonathon Brown.

Good to see ya back on BF Crypt.

Love the passion.

Disagree with you though. He is not a Jonathan Brown. Looks like he could be but simply is not.

He will be there next week and the weeks beyond.

Good to see ya back on BF Crypt.

Love the passion.

Disagree with you though. He is not a Jonathan Brown. Looks like he could be but simply is not.

He will be there next week and the weeks beyond.

Spot on. Change roughhead with ossie and I'll be happy. Watching ossie chase brought back memories of hooker chasing buddy!

I personally think that our desperation to win and not lose is just not there, the Crows were very desperate not to lose at home on their 20th anniversary, and we just did not show enough desperation when the Crows were starting to get back in the game.
Buddy always try to do fancy kicks for goal and misses, Burgoyne even though how good he is turned it over at a crucial time, Bruce cost us a goal with a turn over, all in all it was a team effort that lost us the game because there was not enough players playing desperate footy when the game was there to be won..

There were a few players on the weekend who inexplicably gave up the chase. I'm reluctant to drop Roughead now that he looks like he's fixed his runup.

2 goals at AAMI isn't bad either.

I do believe that it wouldnt hurt if he watched a tape or 2 of Riewoldt and the like. and in doing so, gets to see him lead and lead and double back and lead again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarryd Roughead needs to be read the riot act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back