Team Captain
Jul 10, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Plays Forward

Plays Ruck

Plays Back

Back from injury and playing like a madman on steroids.

Give it another month and he will be our most versatile and VALUABLE player.

The big brute (whos secretly a big softy) will be our game changer.

MARK MY WORDS!

Discussing this with a a former AFL coach recently: he likened Roughy to a basketballer in his athletic ability. Went on to say that Roughy has both the football brain and athletic abilities to carve out a totally new midfield position/role.

Plays Forward

Plays Ruck

Plays Back

Back from injury and playing like a madman on steroids.

Give it another month and he will be our most versatile and VALUABLE player.

The big brute (whos secretly a big softy) will be our game changer.

MARK MY WORDS!
I would, but you're about the 50th poster to say this.

BTW you're not wrong. He's one of our top 3 MVP's.

Discussing this with a a former AFL coach recently: he likened Roughy to a basketballer in his athletic ability. Went on to say that Roughy has both the football brain and athletic abilities to carve out a totally new midfield position/role.

yeah i agree, it's kinda funny but his play and ability in the midfield reminds me of pendlebury trapped in the body of a gorilla.

Far too valuable to be playing a hybrid role in the midfield; needs to be a KPF or KPD.

There are less than 5 games per year where he will be the best ruckman on the field. He will never be the best midfielder on the field, even if only because we also have Mitch & Hodge etc. He will never beat the genuine quality ruckmen of the league (10cm too short), but he could be getting Cloke-like dominance across our Half Forwardline (as Buddy will still get the 1st & 2nd Defenders).

His 2nd efforts at stoppages are generally because he has bean beaten in the ruck & he is being forced to clean up; & even when he does lay multiple tackles in a scrimmage following a bounce, he doesn't come up with the ball nearly enough to justify his not being CHF/FB.

I completely agree that Roughy is a genuine superstar & I agree that playing in the middle makes him look real good, but I strongly believe that his playing in the middle is a bit of a 'false-economy' of possessions as he has the ability to do all of the above in dangerous positions, not simply in "no man's land" out on a wing.

Play him at CHF & let him dominate one end of the ground, most of which is within a kick of goals; or, play him at FB & let him take the opposition FF out of the game whilst also getting possessions himself & being a marking target when kicking out...

Leave him in the ruck & we will forever wonder how he looks so good & why we still lose close games.

Disagree completely Brant. I don't recall him doing much up forward in 2011 before he was moved into the ruck where he started to dominate. If he is put up forward, he becomes like Hale, just can't get into the game and doesn't take enough marks, etc. If he were kicking 3+ goals a week, then i would agree with him up forward, but if he is kicking a goal a week, like he was, then he isn't doing anywhere near enough.

Roughy isn't our worry imo. Just let him do what Buddy does - whatever the f*** he wants. Our worry is Hale and whoever is our first ruck. Can we afford to keep playing Hale up forward where he is doing nothing? Is Hale good enough to be the first ruck with Roughy backing him up? Can we play all of Hale, Roughy and a third ruck?

For mine we need to experiment with these things over the season. It seems we have been, with Hale and Roughy our two rucks on the weekend. I'd like to see Hale get dropped at some point, just to see how we go with McCauley and Roughy as our rucks, and play a Schoey or someone at FF. Obviously these things will likely happen against teams weak at FF, or the ruck.

Disagree completely Brant. I don't recall him doing much up forward in 2011 before he was moved into the ruck where he started to dominate. If he is put up forward, he becomes like Hale, just can't get into the game and doesn't take enough marks, etc. If he were kicking 3+ goals a week, then i would agree with him up forward, but if he is kicking a goal a week, like he was, then he isn't doing anywhere near enough.

Roughy isn't our worry imo. Just let him do what Buddy does - whatever the f*** he wants. Our worry is Hale and whoever is our first ruck. Can we afford to keep playing Hale up forward where he is doing nothing? Is Hale good enough to be the first ruck with Roughy backing him up? Can we play all of Hale, Roughy and a third ruck?

For mine we need to experiment with these things over the season. It seems we have been, with Hale and Roughy our two rucks on the weekend. I'd like to see Hale get dropped at some point, just to see how we go with McCauley and Roughy as our rucks, and play a Schoey or someone at FF. Obviously these things will likely happen against teams weak at FF, or the ruck.

Mate I didn't suggest that Roughead play at FF, where he would like you suggest, simply be an upgrade on Hale. He would still be left without a chance to impact games for long periods of time & would IMO go back to how he played in 2010 (& like you said, the start of 2011) where he appeared confused, disillusioned & frustrated.

What I suggested was play him at CHF so he is right in the game (considering we go past CHF more than 60 times a game) or play him at FB & keep him in the game that way. As for him not kicking enough goals as a forward, he, Broc & Hale have 5 between them from a combined 7 games. That "1 goal per game" you spoke of sounds pretty inviting right now - in fact, it would have had us winning last week. Further,

And I don't agree with testing things against the weak teams. Testing theories against weak teams is how a guy like Hale plays FF for Hawthorn. You know as well as I do what Hale would do to Gold Coast if he played FF, with Roughy & Buddy in the same side. You also know what he does against Geelong, WCE & Collingwood at FF.

i personally think we should swap roughead and shoey around, Roughead in defense shoey in forward line and have hale and broc mccauley in the ruck. Keep roughead out of the ruck as much as possible dont want to risk a player like rough to injury in a position we dont really need him in

i personally think we should swap roughead and shoey around, Roughead in defense shoey in forward line and have hale and broc mccauley in the ruck. Keep roughead out of the ruck as much as possible dont want to risk a player like rough to injury in a position we dont really need him in

Agree I like that. I think Roughead will do better HB and shoey knows how to kick goals from his past days

I think Roughy is doing a great job in the role he is playing. It provides the team with a versatile skillful swing man option that none of our other rucks come close to. He was up against it in the final quarter last week but gave it his all.

Hale needs to stand up and deliver very soon or start looking over his shoulder for Broc to take his spot.

I'm happy with Roughy to continue the way he is. I tend to agree with Mark Robinson that he could become one of the most damaging ruckmen in the comp by seasons end.

I think Roughy is doing a great job in the role he is playing. It provides the team with a versatile skillful swing man option that none of our other rucks come close to. He was up against it in the final quarter last week but gave it his all.

Hale needs to stand up and deliver very soon or start looking over his shoulder for Broc to take his spot.

I'm happy with Roughy to continue the way he is. I tend to agree with Mark Robinson that he could become one of the most damaging ruckmen in the comp by seasons end.

Around the ground, he probably can be one of the most damaging ruckmen in the comp; however, he will never out-tap the No.1 ruckman from most teams & will never be as damaging as either an inside or outside mid. Thinking of him as one of the most damaging ruckmen compares him to one, maybe 2 of the other team so its a fairly small sample that he has to contest against. I'd suggest Cloke could be a damaging ruck as well...

Roughy has to skills & capacity to be one of the most damaging PLAYERS (not just ruckman) in the comp, yet he will never beat the best tap-ruckman, nor come close to being a midfielder.

Getting link-up possessions around the ground is for midfielders or gut runners. Send him forward to do what quality KPD Players do or send him back to nullify big forwards.

If he could tap like Sandilands or rove his own ball like NicNat then I would happily see him play in the ruck, but he can't so I would much rather see him in a KP role where he can be one of the league's best.

I think we need to revolutionise the ruck position, and to do so, take better advantage of Franklin up forward.

For the first half, when everyone is fresh, I'd run a "tradtional" setup, with * (Bailey/McCauley/Hale/etc) in the ruck, and Roughead deep forward.

From the start of the second half, I'd start with * in the middle who takes the centre tap, then runs 50m forward of the contest, to put themselves in a forward pocket, alternating sides according to the ball so they are always a "down the line" option.

Roughead starts at CHF, then follows the contest all over the ground as the designated ruckman. The only time he isn't rucking is inside the forward 50m.

It asks a lot of Roughead (and not as much of the other ruck), but I think that this could be an excellent way of avoiding being over-run by opposition teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back