Jason Dunstall's commentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
I will preface what I am about to say by stating that Jason Dunstall is one of my three all time favourite players. He is a Hawthorn legend and what he has done for this club, both on and off the field is beyond measure.

HOWEVER.....

He should not commentate on Hawthorn games. I have listened to him any number of times call Hawk games and he goes beyond what could be considered objective commentary. I fully realise that he is trying to compensate for the fact that he is Hawthorn through and through but he borders on anti-Hawthon in his calling. He never seems to take the Hawthorn line when discussing umpiring decisions or on field issues. With JD we always seem to be in the wrong.

He is a terriffic commentator but really should excuse himself from the box when the Hawks play.

I prefer Dunstall's tact to some of the cheerleading we get from FTA callers. Channel 10 and Carlton are not a good mix.

I never listen to mmm when Piggy is calling a hawks game, he gives nothing and even when he is asked a question about the Hawks he gives nothing.

Agee whole heartedly, it is quite sad because I love mmm footy on Friday and Saturday arvo and I think Garry Lyon & Dunstall are 2 of the best analysers, but if the Cheif is on special comments he just compensates by being overly negative about us and pointing out minute stats from the opposite and makes it out to be a massive plus side for them.

However, at least he is better than Robert Walls- I never that Garlet was the next big thing, and that Chris Judd was the messiah

It is often the case, people don't want to sound biased so they are generally a lot harder on their own side. JB who many consider very neutral when calling games never shows the kind of animation when he called North games as he did for other teams, never wanted to be seen as biased, but he doesn't call North games any longer.

It is often the case, people don't want to sound biased so they are generally a lot harder on their own side. JB who many consider very neutral when calling games never shows the kind of animation when he called North games as he did for other teams, never wanted to be seen as biased, but he doesn't call North games any longer.

Good on him for not doing so.

Dunstall is harsh on us. Parkin always is too.

Better they do this though than be like Lane and McGuire calling their beloved teams.

In general I agree with you. But one example of the contrary from the weekend - was good to hear the background on what the coach's thought of Suckling. Not sure if it has been posted elsewhere, but he's been able to complete his first full pre-season and for the first time in 4 years Suckling has been recognised as a quick player.

So the odd nugget here and there from JD!

ha! i really love it when the announcer is really biased.... Especially when their team is g etting thrashed ( Hawks excepted of course)

Thread needs more Don Scott!!!

As a young fella I recall the single most biased piece of commentating in AFL history from Scotty in the 96 final we lost to the swans!

Scotty was pretty biased for 2.5 quarters, but after Dunstall wrecked his knee, Scotty spent the rest of the game openly barracking for his Hawks! I recall goals to Tony Woods and Kappler in the last where Scotty could clearly be heard saying "go" and "come on".

May be wrong, but I don't recall him working much on Channel 7 after that...what a hero!

FWIW, I don't mind bias from commentators - the game broadcasts can be pretty sterile these days, a bit of barracking isn't exactly going to wreck watching the hawks have a win!

Kelly Underwood on the other hand...

Still better than most of the radio calls you get when playing out of Melbourne. All you will ever hear is "Hawthorn gets it out" etc. They don't most of the opposition players and all commentary is biased towards the home team.

As an aside, I thought David King was fantastic on Fox as a boundary rider, insightful and not scarred to give someone a spray. Makings of an outstanding commentator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have a problem with his calling at all. He clearly has an allegiance and commentates in a manner which would over-compensate for that.

Much better than being biased for his own team.

If it bothers you, you probably need to move on with life.

I don't have a problem with his calling at all. He clearly has an allegiance and commentates in a manner which would over-compensate for that.

Much better than being biased for his own team.

If it bothers you, you probably need to move on with life.

Well excuse me for putting up something for discussion.:rolleyes:

Sheesh, it is comments like this from people like you that are the reason why I stopped posting here for the best part of a year. A lot of good contributors to this site have moved on for the same reason. So much so that there are now very few people on here that are willing/able to bring good information and/or discussion to this board. They just get shot down by the imbeciles.

Well excuse me for putting up something for discussion.:rolleyes:

Sheesh, it is comments like this from people like you that are the reason why I stopped posting here for the best part of a year. A lot of good contributors to this site have moved on for the same reason. So much so that there are now very few people on here that are willing/able to bring good information and/or discussion to this board. They just get shot down by the imbeciles.

Both of you are veteran posters, expressing an opinion, on an internet forum, you can agree to disagree and move on.

I'm just watching the insider with Piggy and he was talking about the hawks n Suckling how good he is going to be after his first full preseason, anyway my stupid question: is Piggy still on the hawks board or has he departed because I know he was thinking of resigning from the board one day??

I'm just watching the insider with Piggy and he was talking about the hawks n Suckling how good he is going to be after his first full preseason, anyway my stupid question: is Piggy still on the hawks board or has he departed because I know he was thinking of resigning from the board one day??

Yes:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Dunstall's commentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back