JB on SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's in the least bit difficult to do. If you reveal volatile inside information about team selections, injuries, game plan or anything related to the football department, would you be happy to face JYD and Crock and Simmo alone and justify what you have just done?

And who decides what is volatile and what isn't? We're all different people and we all have different views on what should or shouldn't be revealed.

After all, nobody has ever complained when scottywiper gives us the inside info on team selections during the season and list management during the trade period. Nobody complained when the TSK Joel Perry sponsors posted what they knew about his contract negotiations. And certainly nobody complained when the Brad Moran 1 year/2 year dispute was revealed.

What about training reports? Late last year, we were all keen to know about the status of Corey Jones' injury, and those who watched training gave their reports. The club was trying to hide his injury (remember McDonald's hilarious slip up in front of the cameras), so was it right for those posters to tell us what they saw?

pharro said:
And if you reveal inside information about the administration of the club, would you face up to JB, RJ and Denis Pagan? Search your conscience for goodness sake and then have the courage of your convictions. That's all it takes. There's a world of difference between whistle blowing on a corrupt and incompetent regime, as opposed to sticking it to the good guys just so that you can be first to the punch.

And again, who decides whether the administration was corrupt and incompetent? Keep in mind, gokangas copped a lot of abuse when he posted about what he heard about the Gold Coast issue 12 months ago. Many of us backed the club, but it turned out that the club was as incompetent as he claimed. Mind you, I also think that gokangas should have kept it to himself on the CEO rumours.

Also, if you make the standard, "Would you face up to the players/coaches/administration" with what you post, then nothing would get posted here. After all, plenty of us criticise the players and coaching performance, and yet I doubt many of us would say the same things to the face of the people concerned.

pharro said:
And remember that the NMFC is more important than the fleeting glory of breaking some news on a footy forum.

Agreed.

But what you and I might consider to be stuff to be kept "in house", others may consider to be important enough to let other people know. Or others might not consider it to be such a big deal, so they let others know. And yes, there will be those who post stuff just for the glory of breaking some news.

And again, who decides whether the administration was corrupt and incompetent? Keep in mind, gokangas copped a lot of abuse when he posted about what he heard about the Gold Coast issue 12 months ago. Many of us backed the club, but it turned out that the club was as incompetent as he claimed. Mind you, I also think that gokangas should have kept it to himself on the CEO rumours.

The reason I posted the CEO rumour is I didn't know it as fact. I, and I know a few other well placed people on BF, get info from time to time that we are asked not to post, or that we decide for other reasons not to post. I have made that decision from time to time. The Arocca name had already been mentioned in the paper and when I was told he had the job (not from the club) I posted. It could have been wrong and in fact I thought it was over the next few days. It was just a good rumour from an unusual source.
However if I had met JB and he told me (this would not happen) and said don't say anything I wouldn't.
Its a judgement call and I hope I get that right most of the time.

And who decides what is volatile and what isn't? We're all different people and we all have different views on what should or shouldn't be revealed.

Shinners - there is board level shit that shouldn't be repeated - your points are valid, but you're missing what pharro is saying.

There was a whole thread pulled off her late last year merely so it didn't upset a tenuously placed board agreement on the future of the club.

Most posters don't post the solid gold gossip they hear for the reasons pharro was talking about.

Im all for sharing, I reckon we'd have had die hard North people lurching off bridges for about two months last year if it wasn't for the support and slivers of information people shared on here, but there's a point at which the grandstanding just isn't worth the risk involved in upsetting the clubs apple cart at an adminstrative level.

/Once again I thank everyone for their supportive messages.

My thoughts are well known on this issue. There are regular posters on this board who knew massive, massive things last year but didn't post because doing so served no purpose other than to let people know they had information. The posting of a drunken conversation with a club legend still makes me fume.

My thoughts are well known on this issue. There are regular posters on this board who knew massive, massive things last year but didn't post because doing so served no purpose other than to let people know they had information. The posting of a drunken conversation with a club legend still makes me fume.
It makes me fume three to seven times a year.

Shinners - there is board level shit that shouldn't be repeated - your points are valid, but you're missing what pharro is saying.

There was a whole thread pulled off her late last year merely so it didn't upset a tenuously placed board agreement on the future of the club.

Most posters don't post the solid gold gossip they hear for the reasons pharro was talking about.

I don't disagree with what pharro says when it comes to the issues we've faced over the past 12 months. I would think that things would have become extra difficult when pro-GC people were posting here, and those who knew things that could disprove the pro-GC lobby had to either keep quiet or talk around them.

But as great as it would be if everyone followed pharro's principles. In practice, it's pretty much impossible when it comes to a club that was in crisis, and people seemed to be leaking things left, right, and centre
(not that North are alone in that). Hence my suggestion of the restricted access board.

After all, nobody has ever complained when scottywiper gives us the inside info on team selections during the season and list management during the trade period. Nobody complained when the TSK Joel Perry sponsors posted what they knew about his contract negotiations. And certainly nobody complained when the Brad Moran 1 year/2 year dispute was revealed.

What about training reports? Late last year, we were all keen to know about the status of Corey Jones' injury, and those who watched training gave their reports. The club was trying to hide his injury (remember McDonald's hilarious slip up in front of the cameras), so was it right for those posters to tell us what they saw?

Also, if you make the standard, "Would you face up to the players/coaches/administration" with what you post, then nothing would get posted here. After all, plenty of us criticise the players and coaching performance, and yet I doubt many of us would say the same things to the face of the people concerned.

Agreed.

But what you and I might consider to be stuff to be kept "in house", others may consider to be important enough to let other people know. Or others might not consider it to be such a big deal, so they let others know. And yes, there will be those who post stuff just for the glory of breaking some news.

I simply give you the notion that it not about who decides but a matter of personal conscience. Whenever I post anything about the club, I am aware that the (former) CEO, at least one board member, a number of staff members, the coach and others in the football department can identify me so it is a very real consideration that I have to stand by my convictions. Scottywiper knows that every time he posts, he risks losing access to info. There are a lot of things he is unable to post. So it comes down to this... just because you are privileged enough to know something, doesn't mean you HAVE to post it.

If anyone has info to share in regards to our club they should share the info. The only time i would say that we should not disclose information is if it has potential to harm our clubs image or credibility.

Okay what about if this info sharing has the potential to destroy a deal? What if we had a multinational sponsor on the hook but the deal is entirely contingent upon secrecy? And what if Collingwood was chasing the same sponsor and unaware that we are about to gazump them? What if the board had a plan to broad side the AFL prior to a very important meeting with them? ie What if the AFL was being conned into believing we will relocate so that they fail to shore up the $ offer or the stadium arrangement? Would you reveal the club's tactics on this forum and thus alert the AFL prior to the meeting? What if we were able to trade for Chris Judd under the nose of Carlton at the 11th hour? What if our match committee is about to pull a massive late selection switch on the eve of a finals game leaving our opponent unprepared, oversized or too slow? These are not image or credibility issues in these hypotheticals. They are matters of extreme confidentiality.

What was the conversation about?:D

Okay what about if this info sharing has the potential to destroy a deal? What if we had a multinational sponsor on the hook but the deal is entirely contingent upon secrecy? And what if Collingwood was chasing the same sponsor and unaware that we are about to gazump them? What if the board had a plan to broad side the AFL prior to a very important meeting with them? ie What if the AFL was being conned into believing we will relocate so that they fail to shore up the $ offer or the stadium arrangement? Would you reveal the club's tactics on this forum and thus alert the AFL prior to the meeting? What if we were able to trade for Chris Judd under the nose of Carlton at the 11th hour? What if our match committee is about to pull a massive late selection switch on the eve of a finals game leaving our opponent unprepared, oversized or too slow? These are not image or credibility issues in these hypotheticals. They are matters of extreme confidentiality.

You make a judgement call based on what you know. We all do. As I said before there are a few people on BF who have excellent contacts but don't reveal all. Its a judgement call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I simply give you the notion that it not about who decides but a matter of personal conscience. Whenever I post anything about the club, I am aware that the (former) CEO, at least one board member, a number of staff members, the coach and others in the football department can identify me so it is a very real consideration that I have to stand by my convictions. Scottywiper knows that every time he posts, he risks losing access to info. There are a lot of things he is unable to post. So it comes down to this... just because you are privileged enough to know something, doesn't mean you HAVE to post it.

Pharro, Your position is understandable but if theres important info in regards to our club, i would like to know. Whether its by posting it on BF or by PM it doesn't matter. I've been a long time member & have given allot of $$$, even more then what i have sometimes.

Pharro, Your position is understandable but if theres important info in regards to our club, i would like to know. Whether its by posting it on BF or by PM it doesn't matter. I've been a long time member & have given allot of $$$, even more then what i have sometimes.

A very admirable thing that is.

And you'll find that the best goss does float around PMs here among people who have absolute trust in each other that it won't go public. Other times, it's fair to say, this forum has been used to deliberately disseminate information by insiders with the green light from, or even at the request of board members or the executive. So it goes both ways.

lol:rolleyes:

On some of these issues i probably would only share with people that can be trusted. I cant ague against your point because I've never been in the loop or know someone in the know at the club. My know comes from BF & if I've been told something in confidence i will never publish it but if its not a secret then why not post the info?

The Arocca appointment was never a secret, so GK publishing info on that issue was never putting the club in a hard place.

On some of these issues i probably would only share with people that can be trusted. I cant ague against your point because I've never been in the loop or know someone in the know at the club. My know comes from BF & if I've been told something in confidence i will never publish it but if its not a secret then why not post the info?

The Arocca appointment was never a secret, so GK publishing info on that issue was never putting the club in a hard place.
You had information?

A very admirable thing that is.

And you'll find that the best goss does float around PMs here among people who have absolute trust in each other that it won't go public. Other times, it's fair to say, this forum has been used to deliberately disseminate information by insiders with the green light from, or even at the request of board members or the executive. So it goes both ways.

It definitely does.

Remember we are all working towards a sucessful NMFC and it comes from all levels. There are alot of people who like me have got blue/white veins and have taken enormous comfort in reading and posting occasionally especially over the last twelve months. Highlight : getting updates of the meeting at Dallas Brookes Hall as I live so far away. Somethings are best not shared on BF and this can do a lot of damage to the club as Pharro and GK have said. We all like to gossip but you need to draw the line in the sand somewhere.....:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

JB on SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back