Jed Adcock and Brisbane Lions Part Ways

Remove this Banner Ad

Love adcock as a player, and think his output was solid, but I'd suggest he dug his own grave with his poor attitude at times early in the season, probably because he was understandable upset about losing the captaincy. Don't think Leppitsch would have liked that.

I'm saddened by the news but not really surprised or disappointed.

Jed has always struck me as a pragmatist. I expect he asked for an answer and got an answer. Whether he was offered a reduced contract or other options we may never know, I suspect he was, but it may be no more than Leppa saying, we've got a lot of kids and with another pre-season in them I can't guarantee you will be best 22. Hope he gets picked up elsewhere though

Not sure how I feel about this one. Power was the right decision, Bradshaw wasn't. If he has the clubs blessing to give it his best go at another club because he wasn't guaranteed best 22 next year then it makes sense. We are so short on leadership and experienced players so I can't help but feel he would add more than he would cost at least for 1 more season. Good to see some hard decisions being made regardless of the result.

I will decide how I feel about this one over a few wines in Florence tomorrow :cool::p

Not sure how I feel about this one. Power was the right decision, Bradshaw wasn't. If he has the clubs blessing to give it his best go at another club because he wasn't guaranteed best 22 next year then it makes sense. We are so short on leadership and experienced players so I can't help but feel he would add more than he would cost at least for 1 more season. Good to see some hard decisions being made regardless of the result.

I will decide how I feel about this one over a few wines in Florence tomorrow :cool::p

In football output terms, Bradshaw was exactly the right decision.
In cultural terms - not

Are we really crying out for leaders? I think we're crying out for better players. Adcock's been playing all year, it's hard to quantify the effect his leadership has on the team, but we are essentailly last.

I think there are a few people overreacting to this news. Sad to see he won't be playing for the lions anymore but I don't think this decision makes the club a disaster zone.

Agree. Basically solid player with 200 games under his belt is leadership of sorts and rates highly with fans in a bottom team but I suspect not quite the sort of thing Leppitsch is wanting which is why it's not got him another year.

Are we really crying out for leaders? I think we're crying out for better players. Adcock's been playing all year, it's hard to quantify the effect his leadership has on the team, but we are essentailly last.

I think there are a few people overreacting to this news. Sad to see he won't be playing for the lions anymore but I don't think this decision makes the club a disaster zone.
According to most pressers after a loss its leadership we have the talent but its too young, so yes its leadership. To further answer your question though, you say better players, I dont think the sacking of adcock is going to enable us to bring in a danferfield or selwood so im not sure how this move gets us better now.

I just hope that when swann said we had player wanting to come to brisbane that they are matured bodies, otherwise if we get really young (staker, adcock, leuey etc), we are going to be smashed next year. 100 point losses here we come. People have said these are overreactions, but we will finish out the year with three wins for the season we will get even younger at seasons end, so its hard to the club rebounding quickly

I'm disappointed but to be honest the way it is reported Jed forced this issue by going to Leppa and asking what his role with the Club was next year. As a bloke with a family I imagine he feels that he needs more than the preseason to plan a move to a new club. So he has asked Leppa what his plans are and Leppa has done the right thing and been honest.

I love the loyalty and endeavour that Jed has shown for the Lions but I am also in the "he's had a pretty average season This year" camp. I will be sorry to see him go but I am not surprised. It could have been handled better but I imagine Fish got wind of it somehow (could be as simple as a trip to Melbourne by Hayley Adcock to shop for schools and houses) and he has done his job and asked the Club about it. This is normal, but badly timed list management news.

Copeland compared to Adcock is being generous to adcock I would think. Sure Adcock captained us for a season, but he did so as the last man standing with the next captain types considered a bit too young at that point. I actually compared them as Copeland also knocked back numerous offers to go home but was pushed out a few years after knocking back the last offer (Tigers I believe)

Adcock is a plodder in that he broke out as a mid playing defender early on...for the best part of the season their were numerous attempts for the clubs to try and develop him as a mid. But his best position was a 5th - 6th defender. Sure he had some great games but most players do
Go home? To where?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting. Sometimes the new leaders cannot truly lead until the old ones have cleared the way for it. I have confidence that we have enough mid-career players ready to take over that role following Jed's departure.

He was a good clubman, and I really came to appreciate his contribution more in the last two years than I had in earlier seasons, particularly in a structural sense. Best of luck to him.

I swear if Adcock goes to Gold Coast or Collingwood I'm gonna be so pissed off :mad:

I swear if Adcock goes to Gold Coast or Collingwood I'm gonna be so pissed off :mad:
Just be happy for him if he gets another senior gig. It's not worth the self inflicted anger. #footyzen #iknowhashtagsarenitabigfootything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just hope that when swann said we had player wanting to come to brisbane that they are matured bodies, otherwise if we get really young (staker, adcock, leuey etc), we are going to be smashed next year. 100 point losses here we come. People have said these are overreactions, but we will finish out the year with three wins for the season we will get even younger at seasons end, so its hard to the club rebounding quickly

Seriously, we lose Adcock and its 100 pt thrashings:confused:. The guy was a solid player but come on, he is the difference? When kids like Dawson and Andrews are coming in and playing better roles for the team the writing is on the wall.

I trust the club knows how to manage the list and have made this tough decision. Older quality players is what we need, Dogs are a young list and seem to be doing ok.

Lets just say Jed was an isolated case in regards to player exodus.
No murmers of other players being discontent or looking to leave next season's end.

I would say the move would be good for both parties as Jed probably would not be guaranteed best 22 next year right.
But unfortunately there are rumors and the worrying thought is you could justify someone like Reddo possibly wanting to leave, or any other player for matter.
Lets see how we feel about this if any other players come out at this seasons end with a request to leave, we certainly are in a fragile state, so maybe the Jed exodus could be harming. We'll see.

He has been poor with his disposal by hand but so has just about every player on our list, so he isn't alone.
Still we expect more from our leaders.

One thing I would love to say to him is thanks for the passion that he has for this club and the appreciation for the punters that turn up to support.

And I would like to tell him the story about how a small crowd of 15,000 watched the Lions beat the then top 4 West Coast Eagles .
And at the end of the game all the crowd stayed on for the boys to walk around the field.
A few players walked passed the front of our section 29, and clapping the crowd, but Jed stops , looking up at not people in the crowd, but individuals , hands clapping above his head and nodding.
It was a genuine appreciation to us supporters for sticking with them, small crowd and all.
I will always remember him for this moment and that game, champion club man.
That's what the so called bandwagon supporters will never get , or experience.
Best game I have ever been too so far in my 4 years as a full member and Jed's expression of genuine appreciation was the icing .

Aspley mate. They wanted to save him the bus fare and the ignominy of having to pass through Chermside bus station.

Great way to distinguish a dual Premiership Player, his services (Bushy) may well have been better used playing for the 2's each week than being part of a side that eventually beat up on them, my haven't the mighty fallen and very quickly - Bushy gave great service to the Lions and like all current contracted players (who must be all wondering when they will go through it) will be very nervous of the tap on the shoulder and then the dump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jed Adcock and Brisbane Lions Part Ways

Remove this Banner Ad

Back