domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I had the pleasure of gaining access to the rooms after today's game. Wow. The mantra about our club being all about love and connection is real and was on full display in the time my mate and I were in there. Jeff Browne walked about the room talking to supporters. He approached us with a warm smile and extended hand and immediately began talking excitedly about today's game. He went through our slow build as we find our form and said "today we played well for three quarters against a very good team!" We thanked him for everything he has done to resurrect our club and he said " We do it for people like you, thanks for your support!" He shook our hands again and moved on with a smile.

And then Fly wanders passed with Charlie in his arms and smiles and says. "G'day fellas" before swapping Charlie for little Maggie. Maynard and Crisp stand there in their footy gear beaming at Maggie and tickling her cheek.

Sidey wanders over to his brother and extended family- I called out to him and he popped over. I thanked him for all the joy he had brought us fans over the years and shook his hand all the while Sidey smiled that huge smile saying, "Cheers mate, I'm not done yet."

Warm, friendly people everywhere we turned and complete access to the players who were all around us chatting to family and friends. Peter Moore was just another dad, chatting to Crispy and doting over the latest addition to his family.

Bobby Hill walked by cradling his baby and gave a warm smile and a hello as he passed us.

I could go on, but this club is in a great space.

The highlight of the afternoon was seeing Peter McKenna seated in the back row of the level we left early in order to gain entrance to the rooms. My mate urged me to approach him and ask for a photo op. He happily complied and as we stood together, I looked at him and said,

You are my hero. I spent my childhood pretending to be you in my backyard as I kicked goals for Collingwood." He smiled and gave my shoulder a squeeze. I walked away with tears in my eyes. It felt like my own Field of Dreams moment.

What a wonderful way to end the day after our great performance. We are back in the hunt!

Last edited:
And then Fly wanders passed with Charlie in his arms
Free kick Charlie…

Seriously though, nice anecdote. Good to know everyone is in a good place. I hope Jeff is getting the best possible treatment for his cancer and beats that shit.

Free kick Charlie…

Seriously though, nice anecdote. Good to know everyone is in a good place. I hope Jeff is getting the best possible treatment for his cancer and beats that s**t.
Last I heard he is in remission which is wonderful news.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I had the pleasure of gaining access to the rooms after today's game. Wow. The mantra about our club being all about love and connection is real and was on full display in the time my mate and I were in there. Jeff Browne walked about the room talking to supporters. He approached us with a warm smile and extended hand and immediately began talking excitedly about today's game. He went through our slow build as we find our form and said "today we played well for three quarters against a very good team!" We thanked him for everything he has done to resurrect our club and he said " We do it for people like you, thanks for your support!" He shook our hands again and moved on with a smile.

And then Fly wanders passed with Charlie in his arms and smiles and says. "G'day fellas" before swapping Charlie for little Maggie. Maynard and Crisp stand there in their footy gear beaming at Maggie and tickling her cheek.

Sidey wanders over to his brother and extended family- I called out to him and he popped over. I thanked him for all the joy he had brought us fans over the years and shook his hand all the while Sidey smiled that huge smile saying, "Cheers mate, I'm not done yet."

Warm, friendly people everywhere we turned and complete access to the players who were all around us chatting to family and friends. Peter Moore was just another dad, chatting to Crispy and doting over the latest addition to his family.

Bobby Hill walked by cradling his baby and gave a warm smile and a hello as he passed us.

The highlight of the afternoon was seeing Peter McKenna seated in the back row of the level we left early in order to gain entrance to the rooms. My mate urged me to approach him and ask for a photo op. He happily complied and as we stood together, I looked at him and said,

You are my hero. I spent my childhood pretending to be you in my backyard as I kicked goals for Collingwood." He smiled and gave my shoulder a squeeze. I walked away with tears in my eyes. It felt like my own Field of Dreams moment.

What a wonderful way to end the day after our great performance. We are back in the hunt!
You lucky git. I'm not insanely jealous - not even a little bit.

Wow, love the insights you provided, just love what our club is about and represents.
Thanks for sharing 😌

Reading that, I had tears in my eyes. What a wonderful day for you and your mate. Thanks for sharing it with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back