Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hoff role?

He doesn't read the ball as well as the Hoff did, and can't be relied to take a mark in defence either.

Realistically speaking the guy is soft as butter on the field. The ultimate downhill skier. Was that way at GWS and nothing has changed at Port.

People like Finlayson simply cannot be relied upon in big games to step up and perform. Useful squad player but that's where it should end.

I'm of the opinion the wheels fell off Finlayson's season after the homophobic stuff and the resultant suspension, so I'm prepared to cut him some slack this year.

He will obviously need to be much better next season and contribute more to the team, but we probably need to keep in mind that even at their best players like him are the icing, and seldom the cake!

He doesn't read the ball as well as the Hoff did, and can't be relied to take a mark in defence either.

Realistically speaking the guy is soft as butter on the field. The ultimate downhill skier. Was that way at GWS and nothing has changed at Port.

People like Finlayson simply cannot be relied upon in big games to step up and perform. Useful squad player but that's where it should end.
We have defensive talls so he should never have to be relied upon to take defensive marks.

He has never been played in Hoffs role so you can't possible say that he reads the ball better on the wing.

He has almost exactly the same physicality and ball skills as Hoff at the same age. Hoff had more disposals because he was playing on the Wing, over his career Finlayson has been more potent as a forward.

He was wasted as a ruck in 2022 and his form dropped off badly in 2023 like half the team. But I don't know what you are basing the downhill skier bit on exactly either at GWS or Port.

Hoff was almost exactly as frustating as Finlayson was at the same age. Similarly he probably has the same potential if played more on ball.

We have defensive talls so he should never have to be relied upon to take defensive marks.

He has never been played in Hoffs role so you can't possible say that he reads the ball better on the wing.

He has almost exactly the same physicality and ball skills as Hoff at the same age. Hoff had more disposals because he was playing on the Wing, over his career Finlayson has been more potent as a forward.

He was wasted as a ruck in 2022 and his form dropped off badly in 2023 like half the team. But I don't know what you are basing the downhill skier bit on exactly either at GWS or Port.

Hoff was almost exactly as frustating as Finlayson was at the same age. Similarly he probably has the same potential if played more on ball.

I couldn't disagree more with the overwhelming majority of what you've written.

Hoff was elite at reading the play particularly as a spare in defence drifting back when the game was on the line. He had countless moments where he would take a mark in defence as the spare irrespective of the tall timber (Carlile, Trengove, Hombsch) around him.

Finlayson consistently mis-reads the play - always trying to get the easy cheap one over the top resulting in consistently getting beaten by his opponent who will play in front when approaching a contest.

If you can't see that Finlayson is the epitome of a downhill skier you never will. Look at the last 3 finals he's played - 2019 grand final a grand total of 1 kick, and then had the two lowest disposal counts of the season (with zero goals) in the two finals of 2023. Only need to take a look at the lad's body language on the field to see he never is going to live up to his potential - constantly sulking and dropping his head. Even one prominent coach at the Club has told the Directors of the Board that Finlayson is mentally fragile on the field.

Hoff was frustrating but had way more memorable positive moments than Finlayson has had. If he somehow turns himself into a utility type, good on him. But I wouldn't be counting on it.

I couldn't disagree more with the overwhelming majority of what you've written.

Hoff was elite at reading the play particularly as a spare in defence drifting back when the game was on the line. He had countless moments where he would take a mark in defence as the spare irrespective of the tall timber (Carlile, Trengove, Hombsch) around him.

Finlayson consistently mis-reads the play - always trying to get the easy cheap one over the top resulting in consistently getting beaten by his opponent who will play in front when approaching a contest.

If you can't see that Finlayson is the epitome of a downhill skier you never will. Look at the last 3 finals he's played - 2019 grand final a grand total of 1 kick, and then had the two lowest disposal counts of the season (with zero goals) in the two finals of 2023. Only need to take a look at the lad's body language on the field to see he never is going to live up to his potential - constantly sulking and dropping his head. Even one prominent coach at the Club has told the Directors of the Board that Finlayson is mentally fragile on the field.

Hoff was frustrating but had way more memorable positive moments than Finlayson has had. If he somehow turns himself into a utility type, good on him. But I wouldn't be counting on it.
You are comparing Carlile Trengove and Hombsch to Allir, Esava and Zerk Thatcher??? LOL. Hoff didn't start taking defensive marks until about the age of 28 for a start.

In the 3 finals before the GWS final he kicked 7 goals averaging 14 disposals and 2.5 clearances. EVERYBODY from GWS had a shit GF so its hard to dominate as a forward in those circumstances. Hoff didn't exactly dominate in the 2007 GF. Yes he had crap finals last year. Name 3 Port Players who didn't?

So you witnessed him being called mentally fragile? Name the coach then. Matthew Richardson from Richmond used to drop his head and sulk all the time I'd say he did a decent job of reaching his potential LOL.And I wasn't talking about body language. I was talking about physicality and I stand by what I said

Hoff had many of his good moments when he was OLDER than Finlayson. He was only about a year younger than Jeremy when he started playing as a roaming wing After today I'm not sure I'd be singling him out as our mentally fragile player. Hoff was often unsighted in the forward lines and Finlayson hasn't played as a roaming wing so you cannot realistically compare their ability to read the play.

Finlayson has got a long way to go to live up to his potential, and that would be helped if he were actually to be PLAYED on the wing. Your criticism is harsh and you are neglecting to remember Hoff played most of his best footy during or after the age of 28 when he was allowed to play as a roaming wing/forward after failing as a key forward.

You are comparing Carlile Trengove and Hombsch to Allir, Esava and Zerk Thatcher??? LOL. Hoff didn't start taking defensive marks until about the age of 28 for a start.

In the 3 finals before the GWS final he kicked 7 goals averaging 14 disposals and 2.5 clearances. EVERYBODY from GWS had a shit GF so its hard to dominate as a forward in those circumstances. Hoff didn't exactly dominate in the 2007 GF. Yes he had crap finals last year. Name 3 Port Players who didn't?

So you witnessed him being called mentally fragile? Name the coach then. Matthew Richardson from Richmond used to drop his head and sulk all the time I'd say he did a decent job of reaching his potential LOL.And I wasn't talking about body language. I was talking about physicality and I stand by what I said

Hoff had many of his good moments when he was OLDER than Finlayson. He was only about a year younger than Jeremy when he started playing as a roaming wing After today I'm not sure I'd be singling him out as our mentally fragile player. Hoff was often unsighted in the forward lines and Finlayson hasn't played as a roaming wing so you cannot realistically compare their ability to read the play.

Finlayson has got a long way to go to live up to his potential, and that would be helped if he were actually to be PLAYED on the wing. Your criticism is harsh and you are neglecting to remember Hoff played most of his best footy during or after the age of 28 when he was allowed to play as a roaming wing/forward after failing as a key forward.

So I guess you're taking Philthy's position in the Finlayson thread, nice one...

And as for my sources - my track record on here is solid enough over many years going so far back as when Rockliff agreed to terms in 2017. I'm not divulging any names on here. I know who said it. I know who they said it to, that's where this ends.

So I guess you're taking Philthy's position in the Finlayson thread, nice one...

And as for my sources - my track record on here is solid enough over many years going so far back as when Rockliff agreed to terms in 2017. I'm not divulging any names on here. I know who said it. I know who they said it to, that's where this end
Well I hope the coach that reported this is pointing his high powered microscope at himself and most of the rest of the team after today's performance.

You conveniently forgot half of the finals Finlayson has ever played in. Just for a start. Neglected to mention that Hoff didn't become the player you describe until after he started his roaming role. And that He was just under a year younger than Jeremy is now when he was given that role. etc.

So disagreeing with you and pointing out your factual oversights is taking the philthy stance? Thanks for the heads up Michelangelo Rucci.

Last edited:
we probably need to keep in mind that even at their best players like him are the icing, and seldom the cake!
Spot on - when we're flying, he is usually amongst our best. But don't expect him to dig us out of the trenches and put the team on his shoulders and carry us over the line.

I'd probably have him in the team over Marshall right now, as he has a few strings to his bow (ruckwork, better with ball on the ground).

I wouldn't say Finlayson is done, he gets a decent amount of shots at goal.

The problem is that he has become arguably the worst set shot in the AFL.
I feel like I hear commentators say he’s a reliable set shot kind of often. Was he ever a good set shot kick though? Did we **** him up or was he always shit?

I feel like I hear commentators say he’s a reliable set shot kind of often. Was he ever a good set shot kick though? Did we **** him up or was he always shit?
67% at GWS. 53% here.

Rioli and Dixon also following a similar (if a bit less extreme) pattern.

Kenny can't kick it for em though. Must be a coincidence.

Spot on - when we're flying, he is usually amongst our best. But don't expect him to dig us out of the trenches and put the team on his shoulders and carry us over the line.

Sam Powell-Pepper agrees, saying Finlayson has not only provided a great marking target and leadership, but has been critical late in matches.

"He's stepped up when we've really needed him, even if he's had a quieter game," he said.

"He can sense the moment. If things aren't going your way, some people can fade away, but he seems to kick a goal when we need it, go down back and take a mark when we need it as well.

"It's special when you can have a player that can step up in those moments."

This was on display with the go-ahead goal in the dying moments against Sydney in round four, a saving defensive mark against St Kilda in round seven and a late, steadying goal against Richmond in round 11.
The players have seemed to disagree with that. The story was during the bye last year, and he was also pretty massive in the end in us getting up against Essendon after the bye. You know, including taking the responsibility and banging through a goal with the the wet heavy ball from outside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players have seemed to disagree with that. The story was during the bye last year, and he was also pretty massive in the end in us getting up against Essendon after the bye. You know, including taking the responsibility and banging through a goal with the the wet heavy ball from outside 50.

For sure, he will come up with some absolutely clutch goals and flashy moments in a game. He came on as a sub a few weeks ago and kicked a ridiculous goal (against Carlton I think)

But what he won't do is graft his way through a whole game when the chips are down and everything is going against us. That's not his game.

I absolutely would have him in our starting line up, and had he kicked straight, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

I wouldn't say Finlayson is done, he gets a decent amount of shots at goal.

The problem is that he has become arguably the worst set shot in the AFL.
I don’t know if he has become the worst, but always had a relaxed ball drop from a high point which caused issues prior to Port.

I don't know if I'm reading too much into it, but the first year that we heard of his wife's illness he seemed to be playing especially well and seemed to be really enjoying his football. It may have been that his football was the thing that gave him something else to concentrate on for a while and I think he was also feeling that he wanted to do well to give his family some joy as well. Maybe a year or two on, the stress and worry is all just starting to wear him down, he just doesn't seem to be happy out on the field. But then there is always the Hinkley effect.

I think Finlayson would be a better fit than Georgiades as a high half forward. He's mobile enough and his running seems pretty good and to me he's a better field kick than kicking for goal. But wouldn't fit into the Hinkley game plan.

Finny would be best as our KPP, 2nd ruck option.

He's more of icing on the cake type of player and it is rare to find him rolling up the sleeves and doing the hard work.

He loves an easy goal out the back a bit too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back