Player Watch Jesse White (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really sad, and very offensive, that so much vitriol is being heaped on one player after tonight's game.
Yes, he missed the goal. Did it lose us the game? Who knows?

He, along with everyone else, contributed around the ground all night and the pressure was immense.
Some had a better game than others, but it was a team effort
He is paid to kick goals, Cloke cops the same heat.

Grundy up against a very tall Sandilands would not be a good match up anyway.

Still a hell of a lot better than White.

Plus I noticed in the last quarter Witts took a long rest which allowed Sandilands to get the advantage over White easily. If Grundy played Witts would have rested earlier in the game and would have been right to go to at least nullify Sandilands.

Lowered his colours and cost us any chance of winning no doubt but I can name another 4/5 critical stuff ups in the last quarter.

Then there's a question of who would replace him, anyone that says Gault should be lobotomised.

The pressure got to alot of the boys in the last.
Pretty simple... White should have nailed that goal but didn't. Hell of alot of upside consideting cloke and white goaless, Sidebttom and Elliott played well below there best. Pendles benched for longer stints than usual. We didnt get the 4 points but we've pretty much learnt were where at. I no tonight will take a bit out of legs next week but I expect a close game against the hawks next week. Benchmark is set now.

Almost faster than a speeding Buddy!
...Almost more powerful than a rampaging Cloke!
...Almost able to take spectacular marks in a single bound!

Let me say this up front, I like Captain Almost. He seems like a really, really nice guy. And he tries hard, most of the time, so this is a reluctant roast. But time and time again I see him putting in soft efforts that just...irk me. Efforts like:

- Completely running past the ball without putting his head over it, then looking confused because the ball didn't magically arrive into his hands, like he was playing one game and suddenly Scotty beamed him into another.

- Choosing to bump where he should tackle, and then MISSING the bump. :drunk:

- Getting pushed off the ball in a marking contest as easily as a geriatric hobo is pushed out of the soup line.

- Dropping sitters with weak hands.

- Shanking set shots under mental pressure.

I don't blame him for tonight's loss - it was a combination of factors - but with Captain Almost as our second tall, me might just almost win a flag. If we want to win one, we need to trade him while he's still got currency, and find Captain Dunnit.

23maan4.jpg

I ALMOST reported this post, but my finger slipped and I pressed the like button instead.

Top quality post buddy, an absolute pisser! :thumbsu:

Lowered his colours and cost us any chance of winning no doubt but I can name another 4/5 critical stuff ups in the last quarter.

Then there's a question of who would replace him, anyone that says Gault should be lobotomised.
It's out of Reid Grundy Gault Moore Scharnberg to come in. See how they all good in the vfl. Cloke needs help.

The pressure got to alot of the boys in the last.
Pretty simple... White should have nailed that goal but didn't. Hell of alot of upside consideting cloke and white goaless, Sidebttom and Elliott played well below there best. Pendles benched for longer stints than usual. We didnt get the 4 points but we've pretty much learnt were where at. I no tonight will take a bit out of legs next week but I expect a close game against the hawks next week. Benchmark is set now.
I'm confident Sidebottom can improve if we played them in say 4 weeks again but I'm not sure any the rest you mentioned would.

Brown was flexible. Much better player than White who has been on the list long enough to suggest he isn't up to it.

Leigh was thought to be not good enough by multiple clubs before us. He was pretty crap for a while... Then he came good in 2010 and had retired by 2012.

White should never have been recruited imo. Hes a backwards selection on Dawes. We needed target a Dixon type 2-3 years ago.

He is better than Dawes by a long way, particularly in terms of team need/fit. But he is a placeholder at the moment until we have a better option. His ongoing inclusion will depend on fitness to Reid, the rucks and Moore. I suspect they will not pick Moore against the Hawks for fear they do what we did to Watts but maybe in the couple of weeks after that. Probably against West Coast.

It will take Moore a few years to develop so I think White may have a role to play over that period.

I've been very critical of White during his time at Collingwood, but last night I thought he wasn't too bad. Sure the missed goal at the end is what will get highlighted and sometimes he worries too much about player rather than the ball, but his ruck work considering what he was up against wasn't too bad and a couple of his 1%ers were really pleasing to see. More is required out of him no doubt but he was serviceable on the night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow you guys are seriously harsh.

I cant wait for Moore to get a game, to perform as you would expect for a first year KPF (ie. Lucky to get a handful of possessions) and everyone to start calling him soft and bemoaning Hine and our recruiting.

We know what we have in Jesse: ideally a 3rd tall forward, a guy who is gonna run all day (but not always into the right places) is gonna make an attempt at the ball (but often not get it cleanly) and is pretty good in open play but not with the set shot. He is also an ok option as a 2nd/3rd ruck. He did miss that shot, but he was playing hard, in the ruck and forward line, and presenting well all through the 4th quarter when a lot of our big names went quiet.

If you want to blame anyone in our forward line for last night - Elliot is the one who comes to mind- made some shocking decisions. Even Fas, despite his 2 goals, had some selfish shots in that last quarter which should really have been passed off. Or look out our entry where we always went to a 1-on-2/3 in our goal square instead of looking for the closer options.

The fact is Freo are a much better team than us. Our game plan and our effort kept us in it all day but it ended up being those little things like decision making and taking your chances that made the difference in the end... No need to start looking for scapegoats.

Wow you guys are seriously harsh.

I cant wait for Moore to get a game, to perform as you would expect for a first year KPF (ie. Lucky to get a handful of possessions) and everyone to start calling him soft and bemoaning Hine and our recruiting.

We know what we have in Jesse: ideally a 3rd tall forward, a guy who is gonna run all day (but not always into the right places) is gonna make an attempt at the ball (but often not get it cleanly) and is pretty good in open play but not with the set shot. He is also an ok option as a 2nd/3rd ruck. He did miss that shot, but he was playing hard, in the ruck and forward line, and presenting well all through the 4th quarter when a lot of our big names went quiet.

If you want to blame anyone in our forward line for last night - Elliot is the one who comes to mind- made some shocking decisions. Even Fas, despite his 2 goals, had some selfish shots in that last quarter which should really have been passed off. Or look out our entry where we always went to a 1-on-2/3 in our goal score instead of looking for the closer options.

Jesse whit was a lot worse than both, THATSGOLD is spot on with this thread we aren't going to win anything with this campaigner playing our 2nd tall. Moore, Gault and The Big Show would have all put in better performances than him last night.

Jesse whit was a lot worse than both, THATSGOLD is spot on with this thread we aren't going to win anything with this campaigner playing our 2nd tall. Moore, Gault and The Big Show would have all put in better performances than him last night.

Gault? Seriously? He may have a future but based on his AFL performances he isnt half the AFL level player that White is. You guys are expecting too much if you think a young KPF can come in and make a significant impact. Everyone was talking up PK based on his VFL performances and expecting him to make an impact at AFL - it is not as easy as that and takes a lot of factors for someone to be able to play at this level - at this stage neither PK or Gault were really up to it.

Moore's health and his development will determine when he gets a shot- not the current needs of the team. We will take the long term view with him, not these 12 months. I know Abbots been performing well, but i havent seen enough video of him to comment.

Gault? Seriously? He may have a future but based on his AFL performances he isnt half the AFL level player that White is. You guys are expecting too much if you think a young KPF can come in and make a significant impact. Everyone was talking up PK based on his VFL performances and expecting him to make an impact at AFL - it is not as easy as that and takes a lot of factors for someone to be able to play at this level - at this stage neither PK or Gault were really up to it.

Moore's health and his development will determine when he gets a shot- not the current needs of the team. We will take the long term view with him, not these 12 months. I know Abbots been performing well, but i havent seen enough video of him to comment.
I wouldn't expect a significant impact from any of them, but White's impact was anything but significant.

I wouldn't expect a significant impact from any of them, but White's impact was anything but significant.

Thats were we disagree.
White rucked a big chunk of the last quarter (not sure if Witts was tired) and did a pretty good job of keeping up with Sandi and not allowing him easy hitouts to advantage. (which even the top rucks have trouble with). He also remained a target in our forward line when Cloke was roaming. The problem last night was not that White was dropping sitters (which he did a lot of last year) but that Freos defence always sent an extra man deep, and our entries were always rushed kicks to that 1-2/3 contest rather than looking for a free man. You cant blame White for that - you blame the entries- and even then you acknowledge that Freo forced us to play that way with their pressure and overall defence.

Thats were we disagree.
White rucked a big chunk of the last quarter (not sure if Witts was tired) and did a pretty good job of keeping up with Sandi and not allowing him easy hitouts to advantage. (which even the top rucks have trouble with). He also remained a target in our forward line when Cloke was roaming. The problem last night was not that White was dropping sitters (which he did a lot of last year) but that Freos defence always sent an extra man deep, and our entries were always rushed kicks to that 1-2/3 contest rather than looking for a free man. You cant blame White for that - you blame the entries- and even then you acknowledge that Freo forced us to play that way with their pressure and overall defence.
9 possiesions and 0 goals for an athletic forward who doesn't mark well, is a poor effort. I think he did alright in the ruck but ideally with Grundy back we don't need him to ruck. Doesn't put in the effort to get the ball to ground like cloke does when he is having a bad one. He's a A grade ball watcher. Who goes missing in games way to often. He's a placeholder in the team to someone better comes along, if Moore has a couple of decent games fwd in the VFL he should replace Jesse.

I still rate White, I certainly cant imagine Moore and most definitely Gault perform better than what White is bringing to our team? Grundy coming in will be the 3rd tall in the forward line rotating with Witts, that will give White more freedom to roam and potential take the 3rd defender.

Yeah needs to hit the scoreboard more and kick straight on those BIG moments, but Cloke hasn't been any better at this for 8 years now and we persist still?

Until we pick up a genuine second big forward this is how its going to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jesse White (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back