Player Watch Jesse White (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

The White hatred on this board is fascinating.

The bloke is having a career best season.

He has always been a tease and threatened to have a big impact on a game but he just falls short.

He is a good option for a 3rd tall utility type, and his output and game style are suited to that role.

He is not a primary focal point, so it makes sense to drop him now.

23 goals 19 behinds (not sure how many OOFs), if at the start of the year somebody said that Jesse had had 45 shots at goal after 16 games I would have taken it.

He had recorded Best season totals for goals and marks in just 16 games...people simply have unrealistic expectations.

He will be back, and will kick his couple of goals per game again.

It doesn't matter to me what sort of a season White is having. I'll put my faith in the coaching staff who have deemed that White wasn't doing enough to hold onto his place in the team. His role isn't to kick two goals a game. His role is to do whatever team instructions he has to do to earn his spot in the team. When he does that, he gets his spot back in the senior side. I don't think anybody at the club has closed the book on White's career. It's up to White to get his spot back in the team.

It doesn't matter to me what sort of a season White is having. I'll put my faith in the coaching staff who have deemed that White wasn't doing enough to hold onto his place in the team. His role isn't to kick two goals a game. His role is to do whatever team instructions he has to do to earn his spot in the team. When he does that, he gets his spot back in the senior side. I don't think anybody at the club has closed the book on White's career. It's up to White to get his spot back in the team.

^but do you also apply to same principal to the last 2 seasons? Do you have faith that the coaching staff have been happy enough with White that he has played in most of our games over that time? (and every game this year).

He has clearly done enough for the coaches to keep him as a regular in our team over that time, and obviously not enough to warrant his spot this week.
The problem is that 90% of the people here cant see any of the positives he provides and just keep calling for his head.

He's played his last senior game this year you'd think, and I'm not having a go at him saying that.

Next week Reid and Cloke will be close to selection, with a good chance that one if not both play, no room for White then.
You're basing that on Reid staying fit and playing out the season in the seniors?

I wish I shared your optimism.

Modern football is having 18 players on the football field contesting and competing for the ball. Coaching is about exploiting opposition players caught out of position and not competing. So just one or two players not displaying the team ethos is enough to tip the scale in the other side's favour. So explain to me what options did Buckley have other than to drop White.

When does White not compete? He always competes and usually brings the ball to ground, occasionally also marking it. He's a hell of a lot more mobile and competitive and applies more pressure as a forward than either Grundy or Witts.

As for what options did the match committee have? In Cloke's absence they could have left White in AND brought back Elliott and strengthened the forward line. As it is, the loss of structure I think will offset the benefits of having Jamie back.

Once Cloak is back, different story, but even then White is doing his role. The chronic lack of effective crumbers to benefit from his contests and him as a 3rd forward/ruck relief having to compete agaijst the number 1 defender isn't his fault.

^but do you also apply to same principal to the last 2 seasons? Do you have faith that the coaching staff have been happy enough with White that he has played in most of our games over that time? (and every game this year).

He has clearly done enough for the coaches to keep him as a regular in our team over that time, and obviously not enough to warrant his spot this week.
The problem is that 90% of the people here cant see any of the positives he provides and just keep calling for his head.
No. He has offered the potential of a player coming into his prime football years who is seen as a more mobile CHF option than Dawes, who can cover in the ruck which Dawes wasn't able to do. When he wasn't fulfilling team needs last year, he was dropped back to the reserves to continue his learning curve. Since he has returned to the seniors he has played in bursts suggesting he should be persisted with until he hits his stride providing a consistent target in the forward line, fulfilling team needs. When he hasn't achieved that in the last few weeks he has been dropped again, which is coincidental to Cloke being out injured.

It's an unpopular opinion i'm sure, but White should be in our absolute best 22.

A tall set up of Grundy/Witts as sole ruck, White as third tall/relief ruck, Cloke high CHF and Reid FF (Moore isn't ready to hold down FF yet) plays to everyone's strengths and would be pretty dangerous, especially Elliott and Fas floating round as the smalls too.

That isn't taking into account the possibility of losing one of Witts/Grundy though.

The White hatred on this board is fascinating.

The bloke is having a career best season.

He has always been a tease and threatened to have a big impact on a game but he just falls short.

He is a good option for a 3rd tall utility type, and his output and game style are suited to that role.

He is not a primary focal point, so it makes sense to drop him now.

23 goals 19 behinds (not sure how many OOFs), if at the start of the year somebody said that Jesse had had 45 shots at goal after 16 games I would have taken it.

He had recorded Best season totals for goals and marks in just 16 games...people simply have unrealistic expectations.

He will be back, and will kick his couple of goals per game again.

Great post people will bad mouth this bloke week in week out but make excuses for Toovey, Seedsman etc

We dropped him and couldn't score goals today with more inside 50s

Say what you want about White, but I think we could have used him today. Elliot as sub, Fasolo is being overused, Moore hasn't
had alot of opportunities. Rather pathetic coaching IMO.
I think we used Fasolo better than we had been, although he scored 0 Dream Team points in the last quarter when we needed a contribution.

Would White have helped? Well based on kicking 2.2 last week you'd think possibly. Probably wouldn't have taken a lot of marks but it was essentially a dry day, and Moore while looking good when he had it had very little impact. It just sounds bizarre to me to drop White while Cloke is still out and Elliott is a shadow of himself (and playing sub).

I hope to God that Cloke comes back for Carlton, but if he doesn't we need to get White back in, so I'm hoping that it was just a wake-up call for him. Of course there is also a slim possibility that Reid makes it through another VFL game, two training sessions and seven or so showers...

I think we used Fasolo better than we had been, although he scored 0 Dream Team points in the last quarter when we needed a contribution.

Would White have helped? Well based on kicking 2.2 last week you'd think possibly. Probably wouldn't have taken a lot of marks but it was essentially a dry day, and Moore while looking good when he had it had very little impact. It just sounds bizarre to me to drop White while Cloke is still out and Elliott is a shadow of himself (and playing sub).

I hope to God that Cloke comes back for Carlton, but if he doesn't we need to get White back in, so I'm hoping that it was just a wake-up call for him. Of course there is also a slim possibility that Reid makes it through another VFL game, two training sessions and seven or so showers...

Well Fasolo became too obvious of a target after a while. He did well but also missed easy ones. Moore wasn't really used well, De Goey neither.

White's not a miracle worker, but his presence today would have surely helped up forward, even at the very least maybe allowing Moore some space by deflecting attention. White did 5.5 in the past 4 games before being dropped. Cloke 1.4 in his last 4 games before getting injured. By all accounts it doesn't make any sense dropping him this week or all weeks.

Overall, you can't really blame any of our forwards lately, the delivery has been so poor. Just constantly bombing the ball inside 50 hoping more then anything for the best.

Anyway, hope some form of common sense returns to next weeks selections, one can only hope though with the block heads coaching the team.

Modern football is having 18 players on the football field contesting and competing for the ball. Coaching is about exploiting opposition players caught out of position and not competing. So just one or two players not displaying the team ethos is enough to tip the scale in the other side's favour. So explain to me what options did Buckley have other than to drop White.
Drop Witts. We were so slow

I said in another thread that would it be an option to use White down back when ole is fit. Has all the attributes and uses the ball better and is a better decision maker than what we already have down there. He has the height, leg speed and hits the packs hard. He doesn't need to take the contested marks. It is time to try something different. I would much prefer the ball in his hands than brown or frost.

I said in another thread that would it be an option to use White down back when ole is fit. Has all the attributes and uses the ball better and is a better decision maker than what we already have down there. He has the height, leg speed and hits the packs hard. He doesn't need to take the contested marks. It is time to try something different. I would much prefer the ball in his hands than brown or frost.

No, No, No.
I generally like what White brings to the table, but his biggest deficiency appears to be is his decision making (which has improved next year) - any decent forward would exploit that.

But White does look better when he spends more time up the ground or as a ruckman who can run better than his opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, No, No.
I generally like what White brings to the table, but his biggest deficiency appears to be is his decision making (which has improved next year) - any decent forward would exploit that.

But White does look better when he spends more time up the ground or as a ruckman who can run better than his opponent.

So you are happy with the ball in hand of frost and brown? They are useless and other clubs notice. Brown elects to handball when it is time to kick because he and the football world know he is a below avg kick. There is a reason frost is still a rookie and it is his kicking and decision making. White has these both covered in general play And with ball in hand.

We were directionless up fwd yesterday, Jesse would have at least provided a focal point and some structure.

Jesse isn't a #1 forward, I think his best position is 3rd tall and ruckman.

Drop Witts and have Cloke and Reid the main fwds with Jesse 3rd tall and 2nd ruck. We are too slow with Grundy and Witts in the same team

Absence makes the heart grow fonder with Jesse on this board it seems. He's nowhere near as bad as people here make out and I'm baffled as to why he was chosen as the one to be made a scapegoat and dropped at this time with Cloke out injured. Dropping him regardless of team structure and needs was pigheaded and reactionary coaching.

We were directionless up fwd yesterday, Jesse would have at least provided a focal point and some structure.

Jesse isn't a #1 forward, I think his best position is 3rd tall and ruckman.

Drop Witts and have Cloke and Reid the main fwds with Jesse 3rd tall and 2nd ruck. We are too slow with Grundy and Witts in the same team
Where does Moore play in that scenario?

Where does Moore play in that scenario?

He plays in the VFL until Reid injures himself, so only a 2 week stint in the VFL for Darcy

I'd like Darcy to play down back, he'd have the ability to become a Scarlett type player who can mark and run off. Rather than the shut down Presti types we have in Frost and Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jesse White (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back