JLT 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Found some interesting stuff in the Freo review thread:

Should be noted that most people in the thread disagreed with them, but still, you don't hear "Hamling > McGovern" everyday.
Is his one trick being best intercept mark in league or that he lost the least one on one's last year out of any player or is it his pinpoint kicking that almost always ends up in an attack. They really are ******ed...
Walters is quick and evasive, the ball was kicked over the back to his advantage once and no defender would've caught him.

Given earlier discussions I was party to I'm scared to raise this but here goes :

WTF is going on with Jack Darling? His most effective football is when he successfully draws a free kick - no other part of his game is inspiring any confidence. Is there some offield issue? You typically don't just lose talent in your mid 20's. He should be the undisputed man of this particular forward line (no JK) surely?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't mind DV's game yesterday.
only spent 66% on ground. 10 touches, 2 clearances, contested possessions and 4 marks. Look pretty average but he spent more time as HFF where the ball spent more time in their half. Thought he looked very good when he went on ball. Saw a couple of nice stiff arms and on more than 2 occassions he moved well through congestion and got a clean disposal out.

Get him in the guts for EP this week i say and see if he can break into round 1 team.

Like I originally said, what did he do yesterday to warrant round 1 selection? He's shown some promise sure but I don't think he's done enough to lock him in for round 1.

Oh I agree. Not a lock. I just suspect he will play rd1.

Personally I would persist with Parto and Mutimer over Ainsworth but since neither of them played a pre season game it looks like Ainsworth is in the good books.

Personally I would persist with Parto and Mutimer over Ainsworth but since neither of them played a pre season game it looks like Ainsworth is in the good books.
Parto should be ahead of Ainsworth but Mutimer is delist fodder.

Freo haven't been a joke for a while now. A couple of their players maybe...some of their fans definitely, but that's no different to every other club.

In fact they've done much lately that our supporters seem to be crying out for our club to do.

I'd go as far as to see that our supporters are sounding that much more shrill lately precisely because Freo aren't a joke anymore and we're just using the lack of a premiership as the last thing we can hold up to say that we're the popular kids.

I'm going to stop now, but I've just had it up to here with posts decrying Freo fans for being obsessed with us when our fans are just as obsessed with them. Posting about it is cathartic.
Personally I couldn't give a rats about Freo - they are no more or less important than the other 16 sides. They are a non event in my opinion.

Personally I couldn't give a rats about Freo - they are no more or less important than the other 16 sides. They are a non event in my opinion.
Nah. At the end of the year if I had a choice between beating any team twice throughout the H+A season I'd darn well be choosing Freo every time.

With JK out for the first few weeks, do we swing Gov forward to cover him? Barrass can hopefully hold down the back line?

Would be an easier call with EMac available, but not sure we have another tall back to replace Gov with.

If NN is also not available then McInnes would already be in the team as the second ruck. We can swing Gov forward and let McInnes play in Gov’s Position. Wasn’t McInnes a defender before he was drafted? He is not much of a forward - may be he is a better defender. Then there is room for another smaller player which makes us more mobile.

Given earlier discussions I was party to I'm scared to raise this but here goes :

WTF is going on with Jack Darling? His most effective football is when he successfully draws a free kick - no other part of his game is inspiring any confidence. Is there some offield issue? You typically don't just lose talent in your mid 20's. He should be the undisputed man of this particular forward line (no JK) surely?

Needs to watch videos of how he attacked the man and the ball in his first year. I'm hoping it's just pre season scratchiness and saving himself for the real stuff, but his efforts and desperation in both games was abysmal.

Freo haven't been a joke for a while now. A couple of their players maybe...some of their fans definitely, but that's no different to every other club.

In fact they've done much lately that our supporters seem to be crying out for our club to do.

I'd go as far as to see that our supporters are sounding that much more shrill lately precisely because Freo aren't a joke anymore and we're just using the lack of a premiership as the last thing we can hold up to say that we're the popular kids.

I'm going to stop now, but I've just had it up to here with posts decrying Freo fans for being obsessed with us when our fans are just as obsessed with them. Posting about it is cathartic.
Knock me over with a feather.

If NN is also not available then McInnes would already be in the team as the second ruck. We can swing Gov forward and let McInnes play in Gov’s Position. Wasn’t McInnes a defender before he was drafted? He is not much of a forward - may be he is a better defender. Then there is room for another smaller player which makes us more mobile.
In 2015 (I think) Jack was injured for a while and Fraser played CHF. While he did not kick many goals he provided a strong contest and brought the ball to ground. Hill, Cripps and Lecca all benefited and all kicked goals. The system seemed to work and we were less predictable.
I am not saying Fraser is a gun but he successfully played a role and it was effective from a team scoring perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep pre season game only, but aren't they used for trying new game plans.

What i saw yesterday was the same old crap we saw last year, kicking long to a contest and hoping someone would take a grab out of the back line. The so called web was again burnt, Freo had numerous players behind our defense and as has become the norm, teams streamed through the middle with zero pressure, making it near on impossible for our defenders to stop the tide. And the delivery forward has not changed at all.

Losing pre season is fine if you can see them working on something new and different, from what i saw that was not the case, i saw the exact same game plan from last year that was exposed by the good sides. I never had us in for the 8 this year, we got lucky last year with Melbourne choking, didn't see anything yesterday or any of the pre season that has changed my mind, i'm happy for everyone to say i told you so at the end of the year if we make the 8, i just don't see it.
Spot on man as soon as one of our players took possession they hesitate and then just bomb it down the line in hope. So frustrating its like they don't want to risk making a mistake. Jetta the only one that was going through the corrior and taking risks.

Yep Neale is not fast and is short but he destroyed us on sunday.

We looked slow and Freo looked fast. Chasing ball and tail does that.

Sandilands makes Freo twice as good than any other ruck.

What is a concern is Freo were without three of their most creative and quicker players, S Hill, B Hill their current B&F and Bennell. If you add these three and take out the bottom three that group looks real fast.

My prediction is that by year end we will see Watson, Petrucelle and Nelson in our side permanently. All add speed and have a decent two way running game.

Yeh Parto not playing at all is pretty strange unless he's coming back from an injury or something. I don't reckon we'll play Ainsworth but I think there's a fair chance he'll get some games later on in the season.

He does seem to have regressed significantly this preseason, been even more fumbly with the ball and hardly had any influence on the game. Looking at the JLT games he didn't hit the scoreboard once and I reckon he dropped more marks than he held.

Only watched the 3rd and a bit of the 2nd and yeah was shit but it is preseason and clearly werent on. What worried me was the number of turn overs to semi-pressured handballs. F me sideways if you cant handball to a team mate from 5 paces then what are you on.
Hoping just JLT jitters, thought we were great against Port but if we bring anything near that into the season proper its gonna be a slog this season. I still have faith that they will do well this year, even in JD who currently would be picked up in a black plastic bag off the footpath.

Time to put on your superman cape and polish your Cups

Its a historic fact. May well change, but ist a fact. They have just pulled out all stops to beat a team with 6-7 kids yet to play AFL in a practice game.
You are all right it is only a practice match so i for one am not getting carried away , But one point i will make is that team with the 6-7 kids as you put it is not going to be dramatically different to the one that runs out against Sydney. And i'm sure they will be pulling out all stops as well.Just a thought

Ok i have a few sources floating around and spoke to 2 of them, 1 said there was no structure because they were told to go play some footy dont worry about game plan worry about run in the legs, Our attacking game plan has changed and we saw it in 2 plays 1 resulted in a waterman mark the other in a ryan shot on goal.

The other said no concern at all because Yeo was a HF a lot and Shuey was a wingman the whole game, Gaff wasnt running as hard because why blow your legs up for a JLT game?

I'm feeling pretty positive after finding these out tbh

MCiKKw9.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

JLT 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back