Rumour Joe Daniher’s Contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those who remember, when Joe left Essendon - questions were asked about the length of the contract and the relatively compensation received by Essendon - particularly when he was re-signed only one year into the deal.

After retiring with one year left to run - will the Lions be forced to absorb the hit as part of their salary cap - as the AFL mandated for the Swans in the event Buddy retired early?

For those who remember, when Joe left Essendon - questions were asked about the length of the contract and the relatively compensation received by Essendon - particularly when he was re-signed only one year into the deal.

After retiring with one year left to run - will the Lions be forced to absorb the hit as part of their salary cap - as the AFL mandated for the Swans in the event Buddy retired early?
Well someone has a memory like an elephant.

I remember Daniher wanted to come to the Swans and I think we offered two first rounders?

Dodo "fought hard" to "win" the battle only to see Joe leave for much less a year later.

So Dodo got what he deserved for being a complete douchbag.

Joe seems the type to negotiate it and take a cut.

Joe seems the type to negotiate it and take a cut.

No doubt he seems like a quality person, but there’s a smell around the initial offer now - and subsequently the cap impact. Restricted free agents who retire early should have the cap hit absorbed and not anulled.

I always appreciate footy players who march to their own drum. I've got a soft spot for Joe, who prefers to drive for two hours to get to training rather than live in the city. People like him have a different set of values than a lot of others, and money isn't their main deal in life. I was glad he looked so happy kicking that last goal - I hope that he does retire, cause the joy he showed in that moment would be a great way to end his career. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he genuinely intended to stay for the length of the contract, but emotionally, it just wasn't doing it for him anymore. So he moves on. Not sure that you can plan for that.

No doubt he seems like a quality person, but there’s a smell around the initial offer now - and subsequently the cap impact. Restricted free agents who retire early should have the cap hit absorbed and not anulled.
except daniher's free agent contract has concluded.

his two year extension is completely separate to his free agency contract.

except daniher's free agent contract has concluded.

his two year extension is completely separate to his free agency contract.
That’s the whole premise of the article…

“asking if the initial three-year deal, which provided the Bombers with the draft pick which was initially pick No.7 but slid to No.9 overall, was indeed a five-year deal from the very beginning”

I think in general the thread is correct, it should stop clubs from making backroom deals and what not. But I don’t know enough to know if Joe’s contract applies. However whether it does or not I have no doubt it wouldn’t be a back room deal anyway; it’s just Joe not loving footy the same way other players do & being content with retiring in northern NSW away from the spotlight

That’s the whole premise of the article…

“asking if the initial three-year deal, which provided the Bombers with the draft pick which was initially pick No.7 but slid to No.9 overall, was indeed a five-year deal from the very beginning”

On paper it seems like it was a three year contract with a separate two year extension (we had a press conference announcing the extension), especially taking into account Essendon's compensation pick. The contention seems to be whether it was always meant to be a five year deal that was shortened to three to manipulate the compensation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Joe Daniher’s Contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back