Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

and awfully quiet from the Lions supporters too
If this is the case and it's just enough to trigger the band one threshold surely this is a win/win for both clubs? I was under the assumption that would require something to be $800k+ per year but that evidently isn't the case.

Potentially with the cutting of list spots the Lions may have thought it would be easier just to restructure Joe's contract to ensure it hits band 1 compo and utilise our two first rounders another way. David Noble did seem pretty confident yesterday that the Bombers wouldn't match. He's shown in his time at the club to identify the right players and get deals done with little fuss so I trust him entirely.

Regardless of the situation, I'll welcome Joe with open arms. #19 has opened up for him too, if he so chooses.

If this is the case and it's just enough to trigger the band one threshold surely this is a win/win for both clubs? I was under the assumption that would require something to be $800k+ per year but that evidently isn't the case.

Potentially with the cutting of list spots the Lions may have thought it would be easier just to restructure Joe's contract to ensure it hits band 1 compo and utilise our two first rounders another way. David Noble did seem pretty confident yesterday that the Bombers wouldn't match. He's shown in his time at the club to identify the right players and get deals done with little fuss so I trust him entirely.

Regardless of the situation, I'll welcome Joe with open arms. #19 has opened up for him too, if he so chooses.

Not to mention that he said in the podcast today that we had no intention of upping contract amounts to manufacture certain compensation triggers. He clearly prioritised structuring the contract around Daniher’s worth to us, even if it meant Essendon matching and us having to pursue a trade or draft scenario. Sounds like he was prepping fans for that being a possibility and us having to ride the Dodoro rollercoaster.

Now it sounds like we will get him free and on contract terms we are happy with. **** I love me some Nobes.

Not to mention that he said in the podcast today that we had no intention of upping contract amounts to manufacture certain compensation triggers. He clearly prioritised structuring the contract around Daniher’s worth to us, even if it meant Essendon matching and us having to pursue a trade or draft scenario. Sounds like he was prepping fans for that being a possibility and us having to ride the Dodoro rollercoaster.

Now it sounds like we will get him free and on contract terms we are happy with. fu** I love me some Nobes.
I love him to bits. Any more feathers in his cap and it might just fly straight off his head

Band 1s for everyone

The uncertainty around list sizes, reductions to player salaries, spending caps due to COVID gives the AFL a pretty convenient smokescreen to “tweak” the compensation formula this year.

The uncertainty around list sizes, reductions to player salaries, spending caps due to COVID gives the AFL a pretty convenient smokescreen to “tweak” the compensation formula this year.
You can argue it makes sense to tweak the formula because clubs can argue they would have offered enough to trigger band 1 compensation if the players didn't have their salaries reduced. Formula should reflect the changes in salary.

You can argue it makes sense to tweak the formula because clubs can argue they would have offered enough to trigger band 1 compensation if the players didn't have their salaries reduced. Formula should reflect the changes in salary.

Yep, if they use this year’s salaries as the benchmark, it makes it really easy to hand out juicy compo. Will almost certainly be the justification they use if the media press them on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was nothing bad about it, just thought there may be more aggrieved responses for paying JD more than what many wanted to be paying him.

He is worth every penny

We don't know how much we're paying him.

Was nothing bad about it, just thought there may be more aggrieved responses for paying JD more than what many wanted to be paying him.

He is worth every penny

Reading between the lines and the available statements from club officials as recent as today it seems more likely that a revised compo formula did the heavy lifting here, not our contract offer.

If you need to believe we “caved” to sleep at night, go for it, but it doesn’t seem to reflect reality. Has Dodoro conditioned you guys to be unable to appreciate a win/win?

So Bris are paying him $800k a year for 5 years?? Surely not.

Definitely not. It’s just Essendon’s turn for a James Frawley special.

So pretty much Brisbane get a player for nothing (outside of a huge salary deal (likely 5 years 700k+ at a bare minimum for band 1).

Essendon get overs for compensation in an artificially created pick to slot in.

Both win for Essendon and Brisbane and all the teams with pick 7 onwards are disadvantaged in the competition.

Great system.

So pretty much Brisbane get a player for nothing (outside of a huge salary deal (likely 5 years 700k+ at a bare minimum for band 1).

Both win for Essendon and Brisbane and all the teams with pick 7 onwards are disadvantaged in the competition.

Great system.
Think you have summed it up beautifully, it is a great system. I'm sure my Essendon brothers agree.

Great system.

Next, we need to trade our two firsts and land a top 10 pick now.

That's when the system becomes truly great for us.

Won't be convinced we're getting pick 8 until it happens. Definitely be happy if it turns out correct though.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to watching Joe play for Brisbane. Hope he absolutely smashes it (not so much against us though).

I won't be one of them. He has stained the legend that is his family name at the club, and whilst I don't wish poorly on him, I cartainly won't be delighted to see him turn it on. He has just been collecting pay cheques of $750k a year for doing SFA and walking out on the club despite us investing heavily into his rehab. What a flog, can't wait to get rid of him and move on.

Definitely not. It’s just Essendon’s turn for a James Frawley special.

About time the AFL has looked after us normally they screw us haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Back