Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s actually not a lot of untapped talent on Port’s list.

If Richards was to go then you’re really looking at Bergman or maybe an Ollie Lord who could challenge Cox for a forward/ruck role.

I’d be more interested in involving a third club to get a Peatling, Berry or Davies type.

I love Joey but as others have said if we can use a list strength in small forwards to improve our list I’d be ok with it. We could potentially replace with a mature age small forward type as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My thoughts exactly - even if he could miss the first couple of games of next season, if Port have another straight sets finals exit.
I'm down with that. He wants to come back home so it's an opportunity that's come knocking.
Next question is, what would the trade look like?

The Old Revenge Sub Manoeuvre into a Dropping. A classic
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN
It paid off, but boy was it risky. Imagine if someone got injured in the first quarter and we had to sub him in early.

If Richards was to go then you’re really looking at Bergman or maybe an Ollie Lord who could challenge Cox for a forward/ruck role.

I’d be more interested in involving a third club to get a Peatling, Berry or Davies type.

I love Joey but as others have said if we can use a list strength in small forwards to improve our list I’d be ok with it. We could potentially replace with a mature age small forward type as well.

Bergman looks a ripper to me.

It paid off, but boy was it risky. Imagine if someone got injured in the first quarter and we had to sub him in early.
Ah yes, I believe you are referring to the unfortunate series of events that occurred in 1987 at the La Palma Polo Club in Ecuador? The unexpected early substitution of the Argentinian firebrand El Diablo? Turned into a goddamned bloodbath.

What’s his value to Collingwood?

Who would he push out / take over from?

Our 30+ year old players:

Pendlebury - no.
Howe - no.
Sidebottom - maybe (wing role).
Cox - no.
Elliott - possibly (we also have Harrison when he comes back from ACL)
Mihocek - no.
Mitchell - no.
WHE - maybe (forward role).
Crisp - no.

Very similar to ginnivan situation. I really like Richards but can't imagine we would offer 4 years to someone who has played 8 games. Given his age, he should take the deal and run. Just hope we can get better compensation this time
If the stories about us being interested in Keane and Berry from Crows are accurate, then we might use whatever picks we get from Power to help get that done

Pendlebury - no.
Howe - no.
Cox - no.
Mihocek - no.
Mitchell - no.
Crisp - no.

There's plenty of players he could push out like Mcreery Noble Bytel ect.

Also there will always be injuries so its a moot point

Am i out of line in thinking Steele would be a good option down forward? We really need to sure up our mids/wings in terms of age going forward. Goal nous , good disposal , crafty.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am i out of line in thinking Steele would be a good option down forward? We really need to sure up our mids/wings in terms of age going forward. Goal nous , good disposal , crafty.
Reckon Steele might turn into a bit of a spare parts man. Sometime tagger, sometime mid, etc. Dunno if he is quick enough for the forward line these days.

LOL. What an overs offer.

Good luck to Port, thanks for your service Joe.
Many years ago, a colleague approached our boss, seeking a pay rise, explaining that he had been offered X by a rival firm. The boss replied, "That is above market for your skill set. It's a good offer. You should take it."

does anyone see a scintilla of irony

• that we paid a 1st + 2nd rounder to bring in a small forward who was out of contract (OOC) in 12 mths time

AND 12 mths later,

• we're losing an up & coming small forward who is moving for greater opportunity and valued by another club to be offered 4 yrs but given his OOC status we will likely receive peanuts

now, if you were to do the net trade capital maths:
  • _OUT 1st + 2nd rounder / IN small forward Schultz
  • _IN likely peanuts (nothing) / OUT small forward Richards
  • Schultz also likely occupying 3-4 times the cap space that Richards will have been on as minimum chips player. Even after an upgraded offer put to him this year, Richards likely stil the cheaper option.

As Alanis Morissette once said:
"An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day"

.. lack of planning /foresight, incompetence, discontinuity in list management or perhaps a tad ironic!

• that we paid a 1st + 2nd rounder to bring in a small forward who was out of contract (OOC) in 12 mths time

AND 12 mths later,

• we're losing an up & coming small forward who is moving for greater opportunity and valued by another club to be offered 4 yrs but given his OOC status we will likely receive peanuts

• Schultz also likely occupying 3-4 times the cap space that Richards will have been on as minimum chips player. Even after an upgraded offer put to him this year, Richards likely stil the cheaper option.

.. lack of planning /foresight, incompetence, discontinuity in list management or perhaps a tad ironic!
12 months ago most of this board wanted Richards delisted.

AND 12 mths later,

What do you think the reaction around here would be if we offered Richards a 4 year deal?

Pendlebury - no.
Howe - no.
Cox - no.
Mihocek - no.
Mitchell - no.
Crisp - no.

I like the idea of Richards on the wing and I think both wings have a vacancy sign up. Steele to stay as a run with and the Josh to half back move is a winner. When Checkers returns, WHE might get one of the wings. I also think we need back flankers - and he'd be a possible there in a Nick Daicos style of back flank role.

But if we can turn him into a KPD - Keane or a more proven running flanker like Bergman - good stuff.

12 months ago most of this board wanted Richards delisted.
12 months ago where do you think the list mgmt crew at CFC rated Richards ..that's a bit rhetorical but have a stab!

assuming i know in which ballpark your answer will land, i'd suggest that in itself is an issue .. not knowing exactly what you have on your list is not exactly a position of strength.

or put another way, if the club's assessment of a player is in line with the bf community's assessment, with both being wildly inaccurate ..then it's no wonder we get bent over in many of our trade negotiations

AND 12 mths later,

Why are you always pushing the panic button? Can you at least let the season finish before negatively critiquing a trade week that hasn't even happened yet, geez Louise.

Attachments

• 69fd6829a5b62b82cd28505fb53d8d6f_w200.gif
    69fd6829a5b62b82cd28505fb53d8d6f_w200.gif
    699.4 KB · Views: 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back