Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

12 months ago where do you think the list mgmt crew at CFC rated Richards ..that's a bit rhetorical but have a stab!

assuming i know in which ballpark your answer will land, i'd suggest that in itself is an issue .. not knowing exactly what you have on your list is not exactly a position of strength.

or put another way, if the club's assessment of a player is in line with the bf community's assessment, with both being wildly inaccurate ..then it's no wonder we get bent over in many of our trade negotiations
History:
- Joe was recruited with Pick 48
- He played 14 VFL games in 2023
- He kicked 11 goals or an average of 0.79 goals per game and 12.85 possessions in the VFL

I would expect that he was seen as a talented middle aged player with a good attitude who haddn't put it all together in the VFL yet.
Like most 40+ picks he was probably odds on not to make it at AFL level.

What do you think the reaction around here would be if we offered Richards a 4 year deal?
so i take it you're not an Alanis fan, yet still see a scintilla of 'irony'

nowhere have i suggested he is offered 4 yrs

but if we hadn't put a 1st + 2nd rounder out the door to increase the log jam for the small forward role that we already had in over-supply, then perhaps the club moves more definitively to contract him earlier in the year, taking off the table the prospect of any significant (4-yr) rival offers

either which way, this will be another trade (out) that will not see us maximise the player's value.

take a look at the bosman ruling in football. the equivalent in afl (of course, not absolutely like-for-like) is allowing a player to be OOC the following year. at this point, the club's leverage /bargaining power diminishes significantly.

Why are you always pushing the panic button? Can you at least let the season finish before negatively critiquing a trade week that hasn't even happened yet, geez Louise.
why do you never come forth, to a discussion board, with any original content suitable for discussion?

why do you always negatively critique other original content, put forward by others, for discussion?

geez Mabelle

does anyone see a scintilla of irony

• that we paid a 1st + 2nd rounder to bring in a small forward who was out of contract (OOC) in 12 mths time

AND 12 mths later,

• we're losing an up & coming small forward who is moving for greater opportunity and valued by another club to be offered 4 yrs but given his OOC status we will likely receive peanuts

now, if you were to do the net trade capital maths:
  • _OUT 1st + 2nd rounder / IN small forward Schultz
  • _IN likely peanuts (nothing) / OUT small forward Richards
  • Schultz also likely occupying 3-4 times the cap space that Richards will have been on as minimum chips player. Even after an upgraded offer put to him this year, Richards likely stil the cheaper option.

As Alanis Morissette once said:
"An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day"

.. lack of planning /foresight, incompetence, discontinuity in list management or perhaps a tad ironic!

The 98 year old dying isn't ironic, nor is Richards improving and getting an offer from another club.

Last edited:
The 98 year old dying isn't ironic, nor is Richards improving and getting an offer from another club.
Nothing in that song is actually ironic. I hate that song.

Anyway, it would be mad to offer Richards 4 years. I like him but he is very tiny in a physical sense and we already have enough small/tiny types.

I like the idea of Richards on the wing and I think both wings have a vacancy sign up. Steele to stay as a run with and the Josh to half back move is a winner. When Checkers returns, WHE might get one of the wings. I also think we need back flankers - and he'd be a possible there in a Nick Daicos style of back flank role.

But if we can turn him into a KPD - Keane or a more proven running flanker like Bergman - good stuff.
I think Parker or Ryan would be better at HB.
Richards is too slight for HB, and much like Caleb Daniel the opposition would just play through his opponent.
Surprisingly Parker is almost 10kg's heavier.

History:
- Joe was recruited with Pick 48
- He played 14 VFL games in 2023
- He kicked 11 goals or an average of 0.79 goals per game and 12.85 possessions in the VFL

I would expect that he was seen as a talented middle aged player with a good attitude who haddn't put it all together in the VFL yet.
Like most 40+ picks he was probably odds on not to make it at AFL level.
i think his Footy IQ is also part of his attractions - he makes very good decisions with ball in hand.

i think his Footy IQ is also part of his attractions - he makes very good decisions with ball in hand.
in defensive transition he gets absolutely lost. watching the pies cats game he was in no mans land every time the ball was coming out of our foward line.

so i take it you're not an Alanis fan, yet still see a scintilla of 'irony'

nowhere have i suggested he is offered 4 yrs

but if we hadn't put a 1st + 2nd rounder out the door to increase the log jam for the small forward role that we already had in over-supply, then perhaps the club moves more definitively to contract him earlier in the year, taking off the table the prospect of any significant (4-yr) rival offers

either which way, this will be another trade (out) that will not see us maximise the player's value.

take a look at the bosman ruling in football. the equivalent in afl (of course, not absolutely like-for-like) is allowing a player to be OOC the following year. at this point, the club's leverage /bargaining power diminishes significantly.
4 years is the reported offer. The rest of it can probably wait until a trade happens. Then you can start crying about the list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of Richards on the wing and I think both wings have a vacancy sign up. Steele to stay as a run with and the Josh to half back move is a winner. When Checkers returns, WHE might get one of the wings. I also think we need back flankers - and he'd be a possible there in a Nick Daicos style of back flank role.

But if we can turn him into a KPD - Keane or a more proven running flanker like Bergman - good stuff.
Josh is best as a winger and that's his preferred position.

If Richards has been offered 4 years… the money will be an upgrade too

Imo it’s unlikely he stays unless pies both bump up their offer and guarantee similar game time to what port is promising - this is not likely

So Richards goes but Power can’t offer a 4 year deal and think their current pick 37 is sufficient

Not much that’s expendable at port in terms of youth or need for pies

Visenti, Lorenz doing well at SANFL level from what I’ve seen… maybe worth a look

But likely Richards goes for pick 38 plus a sweetener pick

Or the trade is part of a bigger 3 or 4 way trade with a team rich in picks like the Suns or tigers

Very similar to ginnivan situation. I really like Richards but can't imagine we would offer 4 years to someone who has played 8 games. Given his age, he should take the deal and run. Just hope we can get better compensation this time

We offered Ed Allan and Nick Daicos 4 year contracts when they hadn’t even played a game?

Obviously Richards isn’t of the profile of Allan and Daicos, but it shows that 4 year contracts for inexperienced players aren’t out of the question.

Imo it’s unlikely he stays unless pies both bump up their offer and guarantee similar game time to what port is promising …

I can’t imagine any club would promise any player guaranteed game time?

I think Parker or Ryan would be better at HB.
Richards is too slight for HB, and much like Caleb Daniel the opposition would just play through his opponent.
Surprisingly Parker is almost 10kg's heavier.

I wouldn't bet on any of them yet tbh. We need to add a couple of Hbs/wings for the short term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back