Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t imagine any club would promise any player guaranteed game time?

Not guaranteed, no

But a club does not offer 4 years and then not select that player… or give up on them as quickly as the pies have when Richards has a quietish game

4 years is a decent commitment… and not a commitment to play him in the SANFL for the majority of 4 years

Fly said in his presser today that in the trade period they are looking for a key forward, a tall defender, an inside mid and 2 wingmen

We need a tall defender and wing for the short term. Can draft tall forward and inside mid - as our best 22 options there are fine for now but old.

Its a team game. I think we are better with him at half back.
There's games I've missed so didn't realise he was playing there. I just remember him saying he loves being on a wing which he thrived in last year. Maybe he's loving the HB (Naicos role) too where he gets to do more running.

Not guaranteed, no

But a club does not offer 4 years and then not select that player… or give up on them as quickly as the pies have when Richards has a quietish game

4 years is a decent commitment… and not a commitment to play him in the SANFL for the majority of 4 years
4 year contract and these are the players you are up against for the small forward possition:

Willie Rioli (29yo)
Jed McEntee - 44 games
Francis Evans - 30 games
Tom Anastasopoulos - 0 games
Lachlan Charleson - 0 games

I would back Richards to play in place of 4 of the 5 listed players.

Last edited:
There's games I've missed so didn't realise he was playing there. I just remember him saying he loves being on a wing which he thrived in last year. Maybe he's loving the HB (Naicos role) too where he gets to do more running.
We were getting stuck in defence and Noble was playing a too central running role and was stuffing up. Josh there works and it moves Noble to a simpler running down a flank role where he's good. Transition has really improved. But yeah, we need to either pick up a classy half back to play the role and shift Josh back to wing where i=he is also a gun or keep Josh there and replace him on the wing.

Anyway, it would be mad to offer Richards 4 years. I like him but he is very tiny in a physical sense and we already have enough small/tiny types.

Might actually be good news - if they're offering 4 years, they might be willing to pay enough for us to buy Keane off the Crows if that other rumour is also true.

Fly said in his presser today that in the trade period they are looking for a key forward, a tall defender, an inside mid and 2 wingmen

He was taking the piss by listing all parts of the ground. I wouldn’t read anything into it …

… except that he clearly doesn’t seem to think that Nathan Krueger will be the next Curnow / McKay.

We were getting stuck in defence and Noble was playing a too central running role and was stuffing up. Josh there works and it moves Noble to a simpler running down a flank role where he's good. Transition has really improved. But yeah, we need to either pick up a classy half back to play the role and shift Josh back to wing where i=he is also a gun or keep Josh there and replace him on the wing.
Maybe we have something there if we snag Bergman. I love JFN, maybe a great small half fwd, he has kicked goals but don't know much about his accuracy in the fwd line, Fly could help with that if need be.

Very similar to ginnivan situation. I really like Richards but can't imagine we would offer 4 years to someone who has played 8 games. Given his age, he should take the deal and run. Just hope we can get better compensation this time
Ginnivan was a contracted player whereas Richards is out of contract this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Parker or Ryan would be better at HB.
Richards is too slight for HB, and much like Caleb Daniel the opposition would just play through his opponent.
Surprisingly Parker is almost 10kg's heavier.
Shhhhhh not allowed to talk about a player’s weight.

I like Crisp and Noble in wing slots next season. Josh to half back and Steele as a run with option

I mean from out of the team. We don't actually have any injuries to our flankers - yet last week we had Parker, Bytel and a struggling Lippa in the team. With everyone back, WHE and Crisp probably play wing/back flank, which would help, but we're still really light on. Need support.

I mean from out of the team. We don't actually have any injuries to our flankers - yet last week we had Parker, Bytel and a struggling Lippa in the team. With everyone back, WHE and Crisp probably play wing/back flank, which would help, but we're still really light on. Need support.
True. But I think if we bolster the midfield some guys who have had to be stop gaps in midfield this year will provide some of the depth on flanks you want

I like Joe, but is his ceiling any higher than someone like Sam Dwyer?

Reckon Steele might turn into a bit of a spare parts man. Sometime tagger, sometime mid, etc. Dunno if he is quick enough for the forward line these days.

Many years ago, a colleague approached our boss, seeking a pay rise, explaining that he had been offered X by a rival firm. The boss replied, "That is above market for your skill set. It's a good offer. You should take it."

Not in the same vein. But love the forwardness all the same

Girl in my niece's basketball team went to the coach this year. Who has complained of not enough court time. For obvious reasons she hasn't had much. She went up to him and had a conversation about getting more minutes. He asked her what her goals were. Said she is studying to be a doctor and has dreams of being a doctor and playing WNBL. He said to her, Rebecca, I think you should be a doctor.

Not in the same vein. But love the forwardness all the same

Girl in my niece's basketball team went to the coach this year. Who has complained of not enough court time. For obvious reasons she hasn't had much. She went up to him and had a conversation about getting more minutes. He asked her what her goals were. Said she is studying to be a doctor and has dreams of being a doctor and playing WNBL. He said to her, Rebecca, I think you should be a doctor.
Reminds me of my 11yo daughter's basketball grand final many years ago. The coach was a very nice guy, got all the girls working set plays, court time for all, etc. He took me aside and said, "you know this is a grand final. The kids aren't getting equal minutes today". I completely understood.

4 year contract and these are the players you are up against for the small forward possition:

Willie Rioli (29yo)
Jed McEntee - 44 games
Francis Evans - 30 games
Tom Anastasopoulos - 0 games
Lachlan Charleson - 0 games

I would back Richards to play in place of 4 of the 5 listed players.

I swear some players dont look at the pecking order they have to succumb when they move clubs. Preuss to Dees for example. Heck even Grundy to Dees. Adams to Swans. Sure there is many others.

For Richards this is appealing

Look at the pies he has to contend with

McCreery
Elliott
Hill
Schultz
Harrison

I swear some players dont look at the pecking order they have to succumb when they move clubs. Preuss to Dees for example. Heck even Grundy to Dees. Adams to Swans. Sure there is many others.

For Richards this is appealing

Look at the pies he has to contend with

McCreery
Elliott
Hill
Schultz
Harrison
That leads you to another question with the guys you named who moved clubs…was it the contract offer they were accepting that took precedence over anything else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back