Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

What faith, 45 seconds of gametime followed by a trip back to the magoos. Job security is massive these days. In saying that i'd love for him to stay, clever player, with harvey harrison out all next year he should be getting a regular game
Plucked from obscurity and given plenty of opportunity this year. He needs to back himself and sign. If he becomes a star at the Pies he will be set up for life.

Nope. That's not the point. Offering a contract is not necessarily a sign that you value a player. It depends upon what is in the contract. Contracts can have all kinds of conditions attached and requirements that can make a player feel a club is not too fussed about whether he stays or goes. Perhaps that is how Adams felt and Joe might too.
All speculation really.
We really don’t know what the club offered.
The issue is the club is and will always be in a no-win situation. If Grundy walked out a few years ago because we didn’t meet his demands, some would say we didn’t ‘value’ him enough. But we paid him and it almost crippled the club. Stephenson was the same. Extending his contract after his 1st season with relatively big $$.

The club needs to be prudent with contracts. You never know what we may need in the kitty later.

How about players go out and play to a level which demands a good contract rather than being so sensitive about not feeling valued enough. You perform and you will be rewarded.

Plucked from obscurity and given plenty of opportunity this year. He needs to back himself and sign. If he becomes a star at the Pies he will be set up for life.
Thats true, the injury after the breakout games really hurt his momentum. Yep with elliot getting older there is a spot long term for him

What faith, 45 seconds of gametime followed by a trip back to the magoos. Job security is massive these days. In saying that i'd love for him to stay, clever player, with harvey harrison out all next year he should be getting a regular game
Just perform and he will play seniors and have the job security. He was dropped because he wasn’t contributing as expected. Doesn’t mean his career is over.

The club wanting to move a player will generally offer more. So no surprises there

If on top of that, it's an interstate club then I would expect 3 to 4 years to make the move worthwhile.

I and I'm sure others mentioned a couple of months back that Richards was someone likely to be targeted by clubs in the market for a small forward. If we could see that then I'd like to think that those with paid employment within the club could envisage it also.

Despite this environment our contract offer has come very late for Richards so I get the sense it's as much about the optics of strengthening any bargaining position as the desire to re-sign him.

That's not to say we don't want to keep him, it's more about not being prepared to overpay in order to do so.

I think we're prepared to let him go for the right trade offer and will probably up our offer if Port don't meet our expectations in the first instance.

A good early test of Leppitsch in his new list management role.

Joey has been decent but players like him are exactly who we need to trade to bring in better talent.

If we can tie him into a Houston deal or find someone out of Freo better than him then I would do it.

I wouldn’t match a four year offer for Joey.

We have to move some players on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

does anyone see a scintilla of irony

• that we paid a 1st + 2nd rounder to bring in a small forward who was out of contract (OOC) in 12 mths time

AND 12 mths later,

• we're losing an up & coming small forward who is moving for greater opportunity and valued by another club to be offered 4 yrs but given his OOC status we will likely receive peanuts

now, if you were to do the net trade capital maths:
  • _OUT 1st + 2nd rounder / IN small forward Schultz
  • _IN likely peanuts (nothing) / OUT small forward Richards
  • Schultz also likely occupying 3-4 times the cap space that Richards will have been on as minimum chips player. Even after an upgraded offer put to him this year, Richards likely stil the cheaper option.

As Alanis Morissette once said:
"An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day"

.. lack of planning /foresight, incompetence, discontinuity in list management or perhaps a tad ironic!
No, not really.

Not guaranteed, no

But a club does not offer 4 years and then not select that player… or give up on them as quickly as the pies have when Richards has a quietish game

4 years is a decent commitment… and not a commitment to play him in the SANFL for the majority of 4 years

The Coach isn't the List Manager.

Richards will need to acquaint himself with all the SANFL venues, as that's where he'll be spending most of the next 4 seasons.

Can we just sign him up ffs. We are going backwards and can’t afford to lose one of the only youngish players to show genuine ability.

There’s too many of those from the past doing well for other teams…

Witts, Ginni, Poulter, Keane….

There's many from every club that do well elsewhere.

You know, like Howe, Crisp, Cameron, McStay...

Joey has been decent but players like him are exactly who we need to trade to bring in better talent.

If we can tie him into a Houston deal or find someone out of Freo better than him then I would do it.

I wouldn’t match a four year offer for Joey.

We have to move some players on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
But you get trades, right? You can't generally get higher value coming in than what you send out, as it wouldn't make sense of the other side.

So the suggestion that you use someone like Joey to bring in something back better than Joey from Fremantle doesn't really work.

Plucked him from obscurity after being coached by Benny Reid. You'd think he'll get offered 2 years and a 3rd year trigger from the pies. Back yourself in Richo to play for the real BnW, not that fake mob over the border.

4 year deal, smells like a first rounder to me.

Get it done. Umm. Who’s doing this for us now?

You could match a 4 year deal but won't?

He's obviously surplus to needs at Collingwood.

Ports 2nd round pick.

Or 2 firsts and Butters. A 2nd round pick sounds reasonable for a player where you don't want to offer a decent deal though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back