Speculation Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon need to be all over this. Our list is so out of whack not having any good genuine small forwards.

Kako in the draft is a free hit but we need more. This guy is a no brainer.

Essendon need to be all over this. Our list is so out of whack not having any good genuine small forwards.

Kako in the draft is a free hit but we need more. This guy is a no brainer.
You've gotta get give young guys time, daveys are still young. I'd go big on richards and offer him 4 years. Look at the state league for guys who are hungry with a late pick as a small pressure forward. There's plenty of shaun managhs waiting to get picked up

I guess if Port has offered him 4, this is probs his minimum… Port generally avoid Metro Vics when drafting/trading - been a country Vic fella, maybe he will prefer not being in the big smoke of Melbs.

Would love him at Essendon but four years from Port would be tempting him big time.

Port's offer is 3 year.

Sounds like he would like to stay, but Collingwood's forward line depth is too good and he doesn't think he will play much football.

Exciting Collingwood small forward Joe Richards’ eagerness to play more senior AFL football could determine whether he remains in black and white next season or takes up an offer from one of three rival clubs, including Port Adelaide.
Richards, 24, has played only nine games since being drafted from Wangaratta in 2022, including last week’s final round win over Melbourne, where he had 19 disposals and kicked a goal in an impressive display.
He has a two-year offer on the table from the Magpies.
Port Adelaide is keen on enticing the forward across the border. This column understands the Power have offered him a three-year contract deal, instead of the reported four years.

Richards told Moneyball after the game that he will make a decision on his footy future in the coming weeks, having left all discussions in the hands of his manager John Meeson during the course of the season.

He says Collingwood has been so welcoming and has learnt so much from the likes of Bobby Hill and Jamie Elliott in recent seasons.

But given he is a mature-aged player, he is keen to bed down a regular senior spot in a team that has Hill, Elliott, Lachie Schultz and Beau McCreery among the small/medium forwards.

“I love the place,” Richards said of the Collingwood environment.

“I haven’t delved too much into all that yet (the contract talk), I just wanted to get back into the team first and finish off the year.

“I have left with my manager. I pretty much said I didn’t want to think about it until the end of the season.”

Richards made his AFL debut in round 9 against West Coast, kicking a goal and having 18 disposals.

He played three games in a row before suffering a foot fracture during the club’s draw with Fremantle in Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much should stay imo. He's got a clear open spot on the wing opposite Josh Daicos and Noble is leaving.
Not a winger. He's a small forward. Unless they change his position up the ground. But we have other players that can play wing (Lippa. WHE)
JD is playing off half back.

Not a winger. He's a small forward. Unless they change his position up the ground. But we have other players that can play wing (Lippa. WHE)
JD is playing off half back.
Is there word on a potential Eliot retirement. His last injury there was talk of 1 of his feet turning black or something.

Is there word on a potential Eliot retirement. His last injury there was talk of 1 of his feet turning black or something.
Yeah, it was quite serious. But no word as of yet. If he were gonna retire early, I imagine he would have announced it prior to round 24.
Has 1 more year left on his contract

Hope we have a look at him. Maybe gets pushed down Port’s priorities list if the Pickett talk eventuates

If he wants to play regular senior footy then he surely would see the opportunity in a team playing spuds like Narkle, McEntee and Evans - sometimes all in the same 23.

Because we are loaded with similar players positionally. It looks like we are dangling him out as trade bait trying to get a decent pick for him. I think if we increased our offer to 3 years we would be able to retain him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back