Toast Joel Corey - 250 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto time for some Corey moments.

2004 PF: Run down of Akermanis
2007 PF: Smother on Bryan
2006 NAB GF: Supergoal

I'll always remember his goal on half time in the 2003 one-point win over the top of the table Port. He was on the boundary, 50 out against the breeze but went back and kicked it.

The type of footballer that are needed in today's football - to be a successful club.

True team player, gut runner and competitor. Been huge for us - and when we were nearly invincible - it was that midfield of Ablett, Selwood, Corey, Ling and Bartel that did a job on so many other teams.

One of the FAB 5.

The type of footballer that are needed in today's football - to be a successful club.

True team player, gut runner and competitor. Been huge for us - and when we were nearly invincible - it was that midfield of Ablett, Selwood, Corey, Ling and Bartel that did a job on so many other teams.

One of the FAB 5.

I just love that in an era when more and more players are driven to appear in the media, or go off the rails for a 1000 different reasons, he's the absolute epitome of a team performer. No bullshit, no fuss, no histrionics, just does his job every week. Lets his actions on the field speak for him. Still think that's the right way to approach it. You'd kill to have 20 guys like him at a club.

The following article sums everything up perfectly.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/142607/default.aspx

Renowned as a man of few words, Corey was a very shy teenager when recruiting guru Stephen Wells interviewed him prior to the 1999 draft.

"He was quiet and also very humble," Wells recalled.

"He was very appreciative of Geelong's interest, and I think he thought that in some ways we were over-rating him.

"But clearly, as we know now, we weren't."

Just hearing Sando on Adelaide's 9 news tonight reflects how he loves and respects corey as friend, former player n coach and now opposition coach. As sando is professional in every way on what he wants the crows to do come saturday n the rest of the yr....i'm sure he's dreading coming up against his old side at the cattery against one of his team mates n good friends playing a deserving milestone game - GO CATS

well done Smithy!

One of our greatest midfielders to pull on the hooped guernsey.
Stood up in big games over and over again and I'm confident the boys put on a clinic for their champ in his 250th :thumbsu:

I thought this thread would be a little more 'up and about' than what it is.

250 games is a crazy feat, and does not come around too often. Especially for a one club player... and it will most likely be the last milestone we see from him as I doubt he will reach 300. Such a decorated player and fully deserves a win on Saturday.

No matter how many times I watch this I still smile. Where on earth did he come from, and how did he manage to get that burst of energy in such an amaying game? Thats a 1-percenter I will never forget.

I thought this thread would be a little more 'up and about' than what it is.

250 games is a crazy feat, and does not come around too often. Especially for a one club player... and it will most likely be the last milestone we see from him as I doubt he will reach 300. Such a decorated player and fully deserves a win on Saturday.
For what it's worth, Corey will be the ninth player in 115 seasons to play 250 VFL/AFL games in the navy and white hoops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth, Corey will be the ninth player in 115 seasons to play 250 VFL/AFL games in the navy and white hoops.

It's an interesting stat. We tend to have this mindset that it was easier to play more games in the old days because you weren't rested if you had niggles and so on. Just shows that reaching that amount of games has never been easy to get to. A fantastic achievement.

I can't remember the numbers off-hand, so from that draft in 1999, how many games have we gotten out of Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright?

It's an interesting stat. We tend to have this mindset that it was easier to play more games in the old days because you weren't rested if you had niggles and so on. Just shows that reaching that amount of games has never been easy to get to. A fantastic achievement.

I can't remember the numbers off-hand, so from that draft in 1999, how many games have we gotten out of Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright?

Type Round Pick Player Current Team Games Since Drafted *
National 1 8 Joel Corey Geelong 249
National 1 15 David Spriggs 64
National 1 17 Ezra Bray 0
National 2 23 Daniel Foster 17
National 2 31 Paul Chapman Geelong 237
National 3 38 Cameron Ling 246
National 3 47 Corey Enright Geelong 237
Rookie 1 6 Marcus Baldwin 5
Rookie 2 22 Shane Ryan 0
Rookie 3 38 Brent Cowell 0

Type Round Pick Player Current Team Games Since Drafted *
National 1 8 Joel Corey Geelong 249
National 1 15 David Spriggs 64
National 1 17 Ezra Bray 0
National 2 23 Daniel Foster 17
National 2 31 Paul Chapman Geelong 237
National 3 38 Cameron Ling 246
National 3 47 Corey Enright Geelong 237
Rookie 1 6 Marcus Baldwin 5
Rookie 2 22 Shane Ryan 0
Rookie 3 38 Brent Cowell 0

Thanks SJ, good work.

That's an incredible statistic. Given that Enright and Chappy will most likely reach that milestone too, for four players to all nudge 250 games out of one draft would be close to unheard of I would think. Recruiters and coaches would dream of that kind of a result.

Unbelievable.They must be doing something right down there.

Righto time for some Corey moments.

2004 PF: Run down of Akermanis
2006 NAB GF: Supergoal

I'll always remember his goal on half time in the 2003 one-point win over the top of the table Port. He was on the boundary, 50 out against the breeze but went back and kicked it.

One of my favourite footy moments of all time. I had been to the SF the week before, but watching this game was when I started to really feel the team was going to be something special.

I can't believe there are no clips of the Aker run-down, or anything from that PF really, on YouTube. I've asked around the torrent sites too, and no-one seems to have it.

Thanks for this, SJ. This stat alone says everything about how important Smithy has been in the history of our footy club.

The boys better get up for this game on the weekend!

What a wonderful player he is.
What a resume he has got now.
So underrated.
Reminds me of Nigel Lappin with the Lions.. surrounded by all these other stars such as Vossy, Black & Aker. But never got the full
credit he deserves.
But we you know how good you are Joel Corey, your a gun
Just love him!

A true champion of our club who's deserved his great success.. The smother in the '07 prelim is a great reminder of what a hard working and dedicated player he is..

Well done on the win today and more importantly, Joel Corey celebrates his 250th in style. A champion footballer! Will be sad to see him hang up the boots. I have been watching him all his career and enjoyed every moment he has played. :thumbsu::)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Joel Corey - 250 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back