Joel Corey

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't want him merely because he is in fact 28. Our list is young and he'll be gone when it starts to come good. We should be targeting 24 year olds.

It was quoted
What would W.C trade for Joel Corey who will be 28 next yer but in best form and could play a role in W.C 'Culture Change' as a good role model and footballer.

Role model.

Joel is an excellent role model and will be good for them...But he's ours! hehe

It was quoted

Role model.

Joel is an excellent role model and will be good for them...But he's ours! hehe

The viking has got this much right,,clean living,leads by example,,2 of the same sort of qualities that judd brought to the club,,over and above player stock rebuilding there is a certain amount of respect and cred that our club needs to rebuild also and this is the type of guy to do it,,adds a bit of steel to a young midfield as well,,

The viking has got this much right,,clean living,leads by example,,2 of the same sort of qualities that judd brought to the club,,over and above player stock rebuilding there is a certain amount of respect and cred that our club needs to rebuild also and this is the type of guy to do it,,adds a bit of steel to a young midfield as well,,
This is just complete nonsense.

You're kidding yourself if you think we will rebuild with "respectible" players. Whilst we will avoid head cases like Didak, we will be pickng the best players available. If we do pick up Corey (which I highly hghly doubt), it will be all about footy and nothing about building "a respectable club".

Where do you guys get this crap from?

That's pretty old for a draftee.

I'd rather use our picks on kids with 10 years of footy ahead of them.
Thats if you draft the kid who actually goes on to have a ten year career. The reality is, not all draftees have ten year careers.

Corey is a proven player, and if we got him we would probably get four years out of him, which is the average for draftees anyway.

Having said that, unless he was desperate to come home to WA, why would you leave Geelong to play for West Coast ATM? The two clubs immediate futures seem to be poles apart.:(

If it comes to it and the Cats would be willing, would you let Schofield go, perhaps ipackaged with pick 36??

I'm not sure... but if the club really wants him, it may work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

joel corey would be a good short term fix. would help kerr and the youngsters from being tagged out of the game. was the highest disposal winner of the season (yeh i know not all disposals mean something) but he would help a bit. he has stated before a return to WA would be a possibility. he would also be an excellent role model for the youngsters. clean image and the perfect model for the "new breed" which is what the club is trying to achieve.

pick 20 and a player would be ok in my eyes however geelong would ask far more then again they have a surplus of midfielders especially by the likes of prismall, wojinski, etc and losing corey could help them in the long term.

i'm struggling to understand why we need to continually go for youth.

We have senior players in Cox, Kerr, Stenglein, Wirra, Hunter, Lynch and Fletcher to help the younger guys. We now need to draft for the future. Look at what Hawthorn did, invested in draft picks and now have a premiership to show for it. By the time we are contenders again Corey would have retired. We need to start building a team that will be together for years to come. To trade away a pick that could land us a Swift/Hill/Robinson/Zaharakis/De Boer I struggle to see the point.

We have senior players in Cox, Kerr, Stenglein, Wirra, Hunter, Lynch and Fletcher to help the younger guys. We now need to draft for the future. Look at what Hawthorn did, invested in draft picks and now have a premiership to show for it. By the time we are contenders again Corey would have retired. We need to start building a team that will be together for years to come. To trade away a pick that could land us a Swift/Hill/Robinson/Zaharakis/De Boer I struggle to see the point.
So you are saying we wont contend again for five or more years?

Corey will retire about the same time as Glass, Cox, Stinga and Hunter and after Wirra. We are the youngest team in the league. If we are really planning for the future we would trade Kerr and Cox whilst they have the most value. If we do not trade them then there is no reason to continue to push only for youth.

To be realistic, then probably. Optimistically I would say 3-4 years time. Hawthorn began their rebuilding in 2004 and even Alistair Clarkson said he didnt expect them to be premiers just 4 years later. You dont build a team to have 1 crack at a flag you want a side that will have a premiership window of 3-4 years thats why I would rather use the pick that we would have give up to get Corey on a player that would give us up to 10 years service. This is billed to be one of the strongest drafts since 2001 and if we use our picks wisely could set us up for a long time to come.

i'm struggling to understand why we need to continually go for youth.
Timing. Whether you go for youth or not is all about timing, and more specifically where you are on the "premiership clock".

Underlying that is the thought process of "how can we position ourselves to win a flag". Every decision should be made on a strategy towards a flag. In years gone buy, there was only one way - forward. In todays footy, there is also "go backwards to move forwards".

Have a look at the Bulldogs - 3rd this season, just about into the premiership window. Not really much point in going for youth. Should aim for the now and assemble the best possible list for right now.

West Coast are different. There not cut dried "should go for youth" like Melbourne, but it is risky building for now. On one hand, Cousins may come back, Kerr stays, a few older players win back their form, and maybe Joel Corey is the player that puts us over the line. But the better percentage play is probably offloading Kerr, picking up Rich and few other rich pickings, and look at rebuilding the whole team around the Rich's, Mastens, Eberts, McKinleys etc.

There is no point going half hearted and ending up empty handed. Decisions must be made to win us a flag, merely being competitive just won't cut it - particularly at a club like ours.

Possible. I suspect this is what Woosha is thinking.

Cox, Kerr, Cousins, Rich, Ebert, Masten, Corey

Big risk though. What if we come top 4 but just don't have the list to win a flag? Seen plenty of clubs hover around inside the window without a real chance of winning the flag. Take Cousins out and our chances would diminish again.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just think a rebuild is a better percentage play. I'd be offloading Kerr if we can get a top 5 and top 10, plus offloading one or two Embleys or Hunters or Waters for draft upgrades (as long as we get market value).

West Coast are different. There not cut dried "should go for youth" like Melbourne, but it is risky building for now. On one hand, Cousins may come back, Kerr stays, a few older players win back their form, and maybe Joel Corey is the player that puts us over the line. But the better percentage play is probably offloading Kerr, picking up Rich and few other rich pickings, and look at rebuilding the whole team around the Rich's, Mastens, Eberts, McKinleys etc.

There is no point going half hearted and ending up empty handed. Decisions must be made to win us a flag, merely being competitive just won't cut it - particularly at a club like ours.

This is the point i was trying to make. If the coaching staff conclude that our window is 4-5 years away then Kerr and players of value over say 24 should be traded if the right deal comes up.

I personally believe that if we trade and draft correctly this year, with the current list we already have, we can have our window open in 2/3 years (2011/2012). This means players like corey, kerr, glass cox or whoever else in that age bracket will still be around and should still be producing fine football.

Thus why i asked, why must we only draft for youth rather than trade for experience?

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Corey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back