The Gerbil King

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2007
Widgemooltha
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Subiaco
Very much the forgotten man at Freo due to an injury plagued two years.

Had a look at him a couple of times lately on the ABC and while his stats are modest there is a bit to like about him. Moves well and has good disposal ( on both sides it seems ) but needs plenty of gym time. I think he could be an important part of our future when he develops further.

As far as our other two developing talls go, Sibosado and Shepherd I would probably only persevere with the latter.

What do you other pundits think?

Do you think that his frame allows for much bulk Gerbil? At only 82kg he definitely needs to add some but from the limited opportunities that I've seen him he seems to have that wiry, sinewy type build.

Well worth persevering with especially since we streched to get him in the first place and he does show some good signs.

How's this for a forward line in 12 months;

Mayne Houghton Mellington
Clarke Pavlich Ballantyne

I've commented a fair bit about this in the wafl thread. A lot to like about Houghton, a fair way off looking like a Hurley, Sam Reid etc but developing nicely. Has lovely skills, just doesn't get involved enough or impose himself yet.
First time I've see Sibo for a while yesterday, I think he's come on a lot in terms of his confidence, very late bloomer, I still believe he could make it but I realise I'm very much in the minority. I guess we'll see what the club thinks in a couple of months.

He's been in our system for 2 years and is still built like a rake? What's with our players and not putting on some bulk? We need big bodies, we have too many players that are small in size (MJ anyone?).

Fingers crossed for this guy.

Sibo and Shepherd both gone IMO, not that i've seen much of either but neither seem to be setting he world on fire.

Neither have set the world on fire but Shepherd has a bit of mongrel in him which may give him another chance. Sibo, for all his skills, just doesn't seem to have the 'killer instinct' and is unable to impose himself on a contest.

I also think that with rangy types like Joel and Hamish you have to give them that extra three or four years to develop.

I've commented a fair bit about this in the wafl thread. A lot to like about Houghton, a fair way off looking like a Hurley, Sam Reid etc but developing nicely. Has lovely skills, just doesn't get involved enough or impose himself yet.
First time I've see Sibo for a while yesterday, I think he's come on a lot in terms of his confidence, very late bloomer, I still believe he could make it but I realise I'm very much in the minority. I guess we'll see what the club thinks in a couple of months.

Jeez if houghton can continue his development & maybe press for selection late next year,exciting times.

Houghton will be quality. He is more of a roaming CHF type though.

Shepheard and Sibosado will obviously be delisted, because well they have to be. Can't imagine Shepheard holding much interest with anyone, it's been three years and he is still yet to nail down a position. As for Sibosado, call it blind faith but I'd re-draft him to the rookie list if he were there at our last pick.

Shepheard doesn't get much of the ball whenever i look at the stats and i hardly noticed him when EP thrashed Perth a few weeks ago. Sibosado is showing improvement since being played as a tall forward. His biggest weakness is he doesn't attack the marking contests and rarely one grabs a mark but his skills below his feet and once he has got the ball in his hands he seems to know what to do with it as a forward. He is also a very good kick for goal. He is starting to show some upside but whether he has done enough is another thing.

Freo should be seriously considering drafting Hayden Busher from Perth. Turns 20 this month and has very similar attributes to Jack Darling. Around 6' 3", strong build, mobile and fast for a big man, very strong hands and takes one grabbers and a very nice long accurate kick for goal. And tackles hard. Usually gets the best tall defender and is rarely beaten.

Houghton has some ability but as said above, needs time in the gym.

He's been in our system for 2 years and is still built like a rake? What's with our players and not putting on some bulk? We need big bodies, we have too many players that are small in size (MJ anyone?).

Fingers crossed for this guy.

I don't get it ay! It is easy for any average person to put on healthy weight let alone a professional athelete with constant supervision. From of the look of him playing yesterday he doesn't seem to of put on a pound of weight.

I don't get it ay! It is easy for any average person to put on healthy weight let alone a professional athelete with constant supervision. From of the look of him playing yesterday he doesn't seem to of put on a pound of weight.

Yeh still looks very light for KPP. But to be fair he broke his arm this year so it's a bit hard to lift weights with a broken arm. He's probably only been able to do running this year.

Someone should tell him to fly over to my place in the off season. We can sit on the couch and knock over a carton a day and play AFL live on PS3 to hone his skills. Guaranteed to put on few kgs and fast track his preseason and push for selection next year! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh still looks very light for KPP. But to be fair he broke his arm this year so it's a bit hard to lift weights with a broken arm. He's probably only been able to do running this year.

He was 82kg at the start of the season before breaking his arm. There's been plenty of time to push weights.

We obviously don't push our young blokes in this regard. The only one's that spring to mind that have put on a bit of bulk are Crichton and Fyfe. Both were coming off low bases being matchsticks to start with and their progress is nothing that doesn't happen at any other club to many a young player.

Long term we're doing the right thing IMO.

I think Houghton will always be stringy, but you'd like to think that he could start next season at 85kg at least!

Freo should be seriously considering drafting Hayden Busher from Perth. Turns 20 this month and has very similar attributes to Jack Darling. Around 6' 3", strong build, mobile and fast for a big man, very strong hands and takes one grabbers and a very nice long accurate kick for goal. And tackles hard. Usually gets the best tall defender and is rarely beaten.

Houghton has some ability but as said above, needs time in the gym.

I paid attention to Busher after you mentioned him the other day. Like what I see. Definitely worth a look for our recruiters, he'd have to be on the radar you'd think.

What about re-drafting Brock O'Brien ?
He's been playing pretty good footy this year and injury free!

I wouldn't mind this, even Foster has been in cracking form for Claremont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Houghton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back